Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 16th March 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question My "road map" for new lenses

I am using now E-520 and E-1 (my favorite!) with the following lenses - 14-54, 14-42 and the new 40-150.
I would like to add to it a macro lens and a wide lens.
With the wide lens that's very easy - it will be the 8-18mm. lens but this will have to wait bit to have right money for it.
My problem now is to be able to choose between the Zuiko 35mm., 50 mm. (and maybe Sigma 105mm.).
The 35 lens is very attractively priced being half the price of the 50mm.
The lens seems to be very sharp from samples that I saw. The thing that worries me most is the shooting distance from your subject. How critical this is?
Is it justified to pay double the amount for 50mm.?
If I would choose the 35mm. then the time I will have to wait for the wide angle lens would probably be shorter.
What's your opinion?
Old 16th March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: My "road map" for new lenses

If you want the wide, get the 35mm (it's really quite good). Once you have both it won't be long before you come up with a good reason to get the 50mm.
Old 16th March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Both the 35 and 50 suffer from very close working distances for macro. In both cases, an inch or two at the closest focus point (and this is 1:1 for the 35mm but only 1:2 for the 50mm without extension tube). However, it's still possible to get excellent shots of bugs with a little patience and experimentation with off-camera flash.

The short working distance is one of the reasons the 100mm macro on Olympus's lens "road map" is so eagerly awaited (and why the Sigma 105mm, Sigma 150mm and Olympus OM 90mm macro lenses are so popular).

The 50mm is generally felt to be one of the sharpest ZD lenses made, and doubles as an excellent, reasonably fast, portrait lens (100mm @ 35mm equivalent). The only problem is that autofocus hunts around with less than excellent contrast/ light. The 35mm is tiny, weighs next to nothing, and is astonishing value for money. If you buy one and trade up in due course, you should be able to sell for very little less than you paid for it.
Old 16th March 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I plan to use it both outdoors and in a studio. Outdoors photography is mainly of flowers (not bugs) and indoors for products photography, like for eBay.
Edit/Delete Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
Both the 35 and 50 suffer from very close working distances for macro. In both cases, an inch or two at the closest focus point (and this is 1:1 for the 35mm but only 1:2 for the 50mm without extension tube). However, it's still possible to get excellent shots of bugs with a little patience and experimentation with off-camera flash.

The short working distance is one of the reasons the 100mm macro on Olympus's lens "road map" is so eagerly awaited (and why the Sigma 105mm, Sigma 150mm and Olympus OM 90mm macro lenses are so popular).

The 50mm is generally felt to be one of the sharpest ZD lenses made, and doubles as an excellent, reasonably fast, portrait lens (100mm @ 35mm equivalent). The only problem is that autofocus hunts around with less than excellent contrast/ light. The 35mm is tiny, weighs next to nothing, and is astonishing value for money. If you buy one and trade up in due course, you should be able to sell for very little less than you paid for it.
Old 25th March 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyzmbow View Post
I plan to use it both outdoors and in a studio. Outdoors photography is mainly of flowers (not bugs) and indoors for products photography, like for eBay.
Edit/Delete Message
Any more comments?
Old 26th March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I may.........

I use the 14-42mm a lot for close-ups, esp. flowers and some product shots, give it a try before you buy the 35mm.

Peter
Old 26th March 2009

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

The Ex-25 extension tube on the 40-150 might be an alternative if you are not lokking at true 1:1 macro, I would of thought it would be well suited to flowers and product shots

Dave
Old 27th March 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sorry to carry this on but if you have a 35mm Macro plus 25mm ext does this give you a bigger distance between you and bug/flower and possible reduces f number etc....
Any ideas on distance increase...

Regards

peterlittlephotography.com
Old 27th March 2009

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich View Post
Sorry to carry this on but if you have a 35mm Macro plus 25mm ext does this give you a bigger distance between you and bug/flower and possible reduces f number etc....
Any ideas on distance increase...

Regards
Hi

If you add the EX-25 to the 35mm macro I believe you will end up with a very short working distance, I believe I have heard mentioned that it can be differcult to utilize the max magnification it offers.
The use of the extension tube does not affect the f number.

I you used one of the tele convertors they can work as a resonable close-up tool as they retain the min focus distance but of course magnify the image, down side is a/ expensive & b/ you lose 1 to 2 stop depending on which is being used.

Another thing that is worth remembering is that the min focus distance given is from the film/sensor plane so adding a ex-tube or convertor eats into that space.

Dave
Old 27th March 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for that I will await the 100mm Macro..

Regards

peterlittlephotography.com
Old 27th March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an E-520, starting with the kit lenses and a sigma 55-200. After attending a few meets with some more experience people (thanks to the guys on the photo safari group) my kit is as follows:

E-520
Zuiko 14-54mm F2.8
Zuiko 70-300mm
Zuiko 14-42mm with close-up filters fitted (poor man's macro!)
Various Filters
FL36r

These seem to cover most of the bases for me but I am looking to but a wide lens - 11-22mm or the 9-18mm. Other than that I am thinking about getting an EC14 and / or Zuiko 50-200mm SWD.

Its all down to personal choices and budgets really.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Graydon