Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 14th September 2010

Liked 399 Times in 183 Posts
E5 Dynamic Range ?

Lots of discussion on this and the sister site about the E5 max ISO value, but no-one appears to have mentioned whether the dynamic range of the E5 sensor (at ISOs in the range 160 ~ 400) is significantly better than that of the E3.

I often take my E3 out on day-long hill walks in all weathers and am disinclined to add all the graduated filter paraphernalia to the weight of the camera kit that I carry around. Hence any improvement that reduces blown highlights & blocked shadows would be most welcome.

Does anybody know how the E5 performs w.r.t. DR?
Old 14th September 2010
Radar

Re: E5 Dynamic Range ?

Also want to know this. Am awaiting various tests (DR+ISO) around before I decide to jump the ship or not.
Old 15th September 2010

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
I often take my E3 out on day-long hill walks in all weathers and am disinclined to add all the graduated filter paraphernalia to the weight of the camera kit that I carry around.
Me too - hill walking that is. I always carry a Cokin holder, the screw-in rings and a selection of filters. Usually 2 soft-edged grads and a polariser. If the conditions are sunny a neutral density too. These add virtually no weight and only a little extra bulk. It does add a little extra to the picture taking time as the Cokin has to be assembled.

Doesn't answer your specific question but I hope it helps.
Old 15th September 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,992 Times in 2,328 Posts
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,909 Posts

Personally I haven't mentioned DR yet because until I see some results I haven't got a clue! I would hope for at least a small improvement but that really is just a hope, rather than an educated expectation that ISO and resolution will be improved. I agree that DR is important, though.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th September 2010
Kiwi Paul

I would have thought improved improved dynamic range would somehow go hand in hand with better high ISO and low light performance, I think they are probably related so there probably will be an increase in dynamic range.

Paul
Old 15th September 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,178 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 668 Posts

It's quite difficult to measure dynamic range accurately!

DxOMark indicates the E-3 has a dynamic range of 10.5 EVs. The Pens are reported to have 10.4 EVs. That's within statistical error, so it suggests there isn't much difference between the E-3 and Pens, despite the extra number of pixels in the Pens.

The figures quoted are for RAW files. You can of course use the Shadow Adjust or Auto Gradation mode that protects highlights and boosts shadows, though this only works with JPEGs.

This is much the same as exposing for the sky and then bringing up the shadows later in post processing. The main concern is elevating noise.

On grey overcast days the available dynamic range in the scene is naturally very low anyway and it just could be that even a camera with very good DR might not produce a better result.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 15th September 2010

Liked 399 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
...On grey overcast days the available dynamic range in the scene is naturally very low anyway and it just could be that even a camera with very good DR might not produce a better result.

Ian
Ian,
Living where I do I get lots of photos of grey overcast days! It's those (currently rare) days with sun, blue skies and bright white fluffy clouds that are much more challenging to capture and do justice to.

I have and use a 1-stop rotatable B&W graduated filter with a soft transition but, when you're walking in a group, using kit which requires any greater adjustment time isn't very practical.