Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P5

Olympus Pen E-P5 The Pen E-P5 is the first Olympus system camera to offer integrated wifi and a top shutter speed of 1/800th second.

Old 13th October 2013
mike_j

Shutter shock

I was reading the DPReview of the E-P5 and they are generally complimentary but mark the camera down because of blur caused by shutter vibration in the 1/160-1/200 sec range.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-pen-e-p5/18

Have any users here noticed it and does it affect other cameras in the Olympus range?
Old 20th November 2013

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Shutter shock

I am getting blurred images using the EM-1 at between 1/160th and 1/320th sec, but particularly around 1/200th. This is, admittedly using a m43 14-42 f3.5-5.6 lens (not the sharpest ever) but the overall blur (looking like shake) makes these pictures unusable. I thought it may be IBIS but it seems to be consistent on these shutter speeds.

Is this what other people are finding on their EM1's?

Simon.
Old 21st November 2013

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I am getting blurred images using the EM-1 at between 1/160th and 1/320th sec, but particularly around 1/200th. This is, admittedly using a m43 14-42 f3.5-5.6 lens (not the sharpest ever) but the overall blur (looking like shake) makes these pictures unusable. I thought it may be IBIS but it seems to be consistent on these shutter speeds.

Simon.

Hi Simon,

That is exactly what I was experiencing and changed IBIS to IBIS1 setting as well as changed lens AF tuning (cog G settings) to +2 and it appears to have resolved the issue so far.

I do wonder why on a camera of this quality/price point we have this occuring and hope Olympus will be able to fix it via firmware - not sure how many owners are suffering this effect as there seem to be a few "teething problems" emerging....................love the camera though!
The Following User Says Thank You to Iansky For This Useful Post:
Simon (21st November 2013)
Old 21st November 2013

Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,079 Posts

Ian what exactly does the AF tuning to +2 do for you here?
Old 21st November 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:

Simon.
whilst I can only answer for myself when I say no, I would highlight the comment by the reviewer's listed above who specifically went looking for this issue in the E-M1 and reported that they couldn't find it.
Old 21st November 2013

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
whilst I can only answer for myself when I say no, I would highlight the comment by the reviewer's listed above who specifically went looking for this issue in the E-M1 and reported that they couldn't find it.
Thanks. If it is this issue, I have certainly found it. I'm going to try applying anti-shock from the menu (as discussed in the EP5 review). I am using a very light weight lens atm (whilst waiting for the MMf 3), plus coming from the E3 I am used to the sheer weight of the camera taking the shock of the button press. It does seem odd to my un-technological mind that a camera would incur shake at 1/200th sec at 14mm focal length even with the stabilisation on, but much less so at 1/6th sec!

Won't call Service Plus just yet. More tests to do.
Old 22nd November 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. If it is this issue, I have certainly found it. I'm going to try applying anti-shock from the menu (as discussed in the EP5 review). I am using a very light weight lens atm (whilst waiting for the MMf 3), plus coming from the E3 I am used to the sheer weight of the camera taking the shock of the button press. It does seem odd to my un-technological mind that a camera would incur shake at 1/200th sec at 14mm focal length even with the stabilisation on, but much less so at 1/6th sec!

Won't call Service Plus just yet. More tests to do.
odd indeed - on a number of levels

personally I wouldn't be playing with settings such as antishock in an effort to resolve something so fundamental on a new camera - I would be more inclined to use the reset factory settings button.

happy to duplicate any of your tests if you feel that would help

I would also highlight that that shutter range is pretty heavily used in studio shooting as are shorter focal lengths (12-40) - as another example, Damian McG made it clear he leaves IS on (and the sharpness of his images is examined in multiple media!
Old 22nd November 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
odd indeed - on a number of levels

personally I wouldn't be playing with settings such as antishock in an effort to resolve something so fundamental on a new camera
What the use of anti-shock would do is prove or disprove the influence of shutter shock on this particular camera. It wouldn't, of course, be a satisfactory solution.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th November 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
I was reading the DPReview of the E-P5 and they are generally complimentary but mark the camera down because of blur caused by shutter vibration in the 1/160-1/200 sec range.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-pen-e-p5/18

Have any users here noticed it and does it affect other cameras in the Olympus range?
This thread was hijacked onto a discussion of the E-M1...

Like Mike, I'd be interested to hear from any E-P5 users about their experience of 'shuttershock'.

Thanks