Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P5

Olympus Pen E-P5 The Pen E-P5 is the first Olympus system camera to offer integrated wifi and a top shutter speed of 1/800th second.

Old 1st February 2014

Liked 430 Times in 198 Posts
Re: Menu setting for real time histogram on B shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonLaidlaw View Post
I am hoping to get some night shots of temples with starscapes behind them in India next week. I will probably use a Leica 50mm f0.95 Noctilux lens. My Leica M240, unfortunately is limited to a maximum of 60 seconds and then only at its base ISO of 200, which is useless for what I want.

Any help appreciated
Wilson
Wilson,
Your post suggests that you plan to use high ISO for your night shots. You may find this article by Wrotniak to be of interest - and it may help to avoid disappointment with the results.
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/m43/em1-em5-dark.html
(I realise that you will be using an EP-5 whilst the article concerns EM-5 and EM-1 - but I suspect the similarities in the EP-5 and EM-5 sensor & processing engine are sufficiently close to be relevant for you).
WilsonLaidlaw (1st February 2014)
Old 1st February 2014

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,948 Times in 1,938 Posts

I think your E-P5's Liveview will handsomely do what you need Wilson. It shows a building histogram with each update of the display and you can end the shot whenever you want simply by pressing the shutter button again. Good luck with the shooting. Would love to see the results once you're back - sounds an exciting shoot coming up!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
WilsonLaidlaw (1st February 2014)
Old 1st February 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Wilson,
Your post suggests that you plan to use high ISO for your night shots. You may find this article by Wrotniak to be of interest - and it may help to avoid disappointment with the results.
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/m43/em1-em5-dark.html
(I realise that you will be using an EP-5 whilst the article concerns EM-5 and EM-1 - but I suspect the similarities in the EP-5 and EM-5 sensor & processing engine are sufficiently close to be relevant for you).
I was probably intending to try a few ISO’s but to keep noise to a minimum, probably not much over 400 on the EP-5.

For some shots, the 60 seconds at 200ISO (base) on the M240 may be good enough, especially with the light gathering abilities of the Noctilux. I have not used it a lot yet as it had to go straight back to Leica for adjustment when I got it new just before Christmas. I put it on my M240 and within 30 seconds, knew that the rangefinder cam was out of adjustment by comparing rangefinder image convergence with zoomed focus peaking. It has only been back a week or so but at least it is correct now. When I had the older f1.0 Noctilux a few years ago, I could certainly take pictures by candlelight, hand held at around 1/24 second and ISO 1000, which was the practical maximum on my old M8.

Wilson