Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th February 2017

Liked 2,211 Times in 1,214 Posts
Re: The Peugeot Diesel Pollutant Saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Hi Harold,
Every car is different, but it shouldn't be necessary to drive at 3,000 RPM to regenerate the DPF.
Nigel,

I don't think it is essential, as my car has probably never met those conditions on other occasions and the filter and performance have survived. I took the precise advice of my MOT examiner to be certain that any need for regeneration conditions was met.

I have never knowingly experienced any symptoms of a regeneration in progress or having taken place, no smells, etc. That said, I have vague memories of a hot smell, on one occasion, when I parked at home but can't remember the preceding circumstances.

I have, at last, established that the previous owner (from new), who averaged under 500mpa, mostly, if not entirely, used it in town for supermarket trips and suchlike up to the 4,700 miles before it was sold to me.

As for running temperature, in half an hour my car reached about 77C and I don't think it exceeded it. On the motorway I was to preoccupied with maintaining revs and being safe in the heavy traffic to check the temperature but it was 77C soon after I had I left the motorway.

All I can say for sure is that the annoying Filter Blocked message has not appeared since the day before the original MOT and that is unusual.

Harold
Old 6th February 2017

Liked 1,632 Times in 1,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I have never knowingly experienced any symptoms of a regeneration in progress or having taken place, no smells, etc. That said, I have vague memories of a hot smell, on one occasion, when I parked at home but can't remember the preceding circumstances.
If regeneration takes place whilst you are driving (which it should do) then you probably won't notice anything happening.

If you are driving slowly in traffic you may notice that the engine is not running as smoothly as usual. You may also notice some smoke at the start of the process.

I once pulled in to a filling station in my last car not knowing that a regeneration had just started. There was quite a lot of smoke and heat in the enclosed and sheltered space, to the point that I wondered if something was on fire; but I was relieved to see that the smoke was only coming from the exhaust pipes! That only happened to me once in about 90,000 miles.

The smell is quite distinctive, and is rather like hot rubber, or hot soot (which it is). It doesn't really smell like diesel fuel or fumes as such. I have often noticed it from other cars whilst driving; especially in slow traffic.

Given the problems you have had I would keep a close eye on the dipstick to check for rising oil level, as fuel oil in the sump will cause rapid engine wear. There is also a small risk that the engine could run away on its own lube oil, which can be disastrous.

I don't know about other makes but the DPF problems in JLR vehicles were resolved by updating the software in the engines ECU. This was done free of charge at the time. It may be worth asking your Peugeot dealer if a similar update is available.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th February 2017

Thanks, Nigel.

You brought out the nostalgia for the sunny afternoons, with a petrol-engined car having a Redex burn-off on the drive and smoking out the neighbours.

Harold
OM USer (6th February 2017)
Old 6th February 2017

Liked 1,884 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
I do just over 1,000 mpa.

I was planning to drive it one holidays to mainland Europe but my wife was nervous about travel when she was put under treatment for heart problems but this year could be the year.

Harold
With such a small mileage, why not consider an electric car?

Having retired recently, my daily mileage averages 40 miles maybe. Picking up grandkids from school is most of that.

The electric car is cheap and clean to run. Limitations are range of course, and "cold" as you don't like putting the heater on!!

I also keep my RX8 for longer journeys.............

MJ

My Flickr
Old 6th February 2017

Quote:
Thanks, Nigel.

You brought out the nostalgia for the sunny afternoons, with a petrol-engined car having a Redex burn-off on the drive and smoking out the neighbours.

Harold
.... And then there was the smell of two stroke smoke when we went out for a ride on our motorbikes. You don't smell that much nowadays.

Better still a whiff of 'Castrol R' if you added a spoonful to the tank.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th February 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
With such a small mileage, why not consider an electric car?

Having retired recently, my daily mileage averages 40 miles maybe. Picking up grandkids from school is most of that.

The electric car is cheap and clean to run. Limitations are range of course, and "cold" as you don't like putting the heater on!!

I also keep my RX8 for longer journeys.............
Why not?:

1) An unwelcome expense. My current diesel has had the equivalent of about 6 months of typical (not my) mileage since new.

2) Parking one our drive is already a problem with two cars. I have to back in off a busy to very busy road. A third one would be a nightmare.

3) It's bad enough having to occasionally trickle charge a normal battery. Regular charging of an electric car is my idea of self-imposed, unacceptable inconvenience.

4) Running costs are not my prime concern

I could go on, but you get the flavour.

Harold
Old 6th February 2017

But electric cars are not pollution free are they?

Electric cars simply create even more pollution somewhere else.

The electricity generation and distribution system is far from efficient, whilst storage batteries need to be charged with about 1.6 times what you take out. Would you be happy putting 80 litres of fuel into a 50 litre tank?

The materials involved in manufacturing the batteries, and their weight, are hardly eco friendly.

We are told that our electricity network is near capacity already. Adding millions of electric cars will do nothing to help.

Whilst the technology is attractive (if you ignore the environmental impact), electric cars will only be viable when we have adequate supplies of nuclear or renewable electricity.

In the short term it would be better to convert diesels used extensively in urban areas to run on LPG, but that is a very dangerous material to drive around with.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (6th February 2017)
Old 6th February 2017

Liked 478 Times in 313 Posts

Car buyers moving away from diesels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38880019

Electric cars charged from windmills are probably fairly pollution free in use but I'm not sure about the manufacture and disposal of millions of Li-ion batteries!
Old 6th February 2017

Two minutes ago: The phone call to say the car passed the MOT (delayed from its scheduled 10 am start). No details until the service has been done, sometime this afternoon.

Harold
Old 6th February 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Car buyers moving away from diesels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38880019
I bought my present car, a diesel, 'on government advice' because it has lower CO2 emissions, and hence much lower road tax. (Currently £160 PA I think).

I would have liked the petrol variant, which has a gorgeous soundtrack, but the road tax was prohibitive at around £540 PA.

That was in December 2015.

Rail travel is more environmentally friendly, but the government ripped up half of the tracks in 1963 to make way for roads. This was despite much public protest, and made vast numbers of smaller communities inaccessible except by car.

Sir Ernest Marples was the Transport Minister at the time. Now, I wonder how he made his fortune?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th February 2017

Liked 478 Times in 313 Posts

The trouble with trains is that very often you still need a car to get to/from the station, especially in smaller more rural communities. My local station is six miles away; though there is a bus service it doesn't connect with all the (infrequent) trains! At least trains can be more photogenic

There are rumours of higher road tax for new diesel cars in future though this may not apply to those already registered. Such rumours plus an offer I couldn't sensibly refuse led me to swap my diesel for the same model with a petrol engine last year - and save myself £80 road tax into the bargain.
Old 6th February 2017

Electric car sounds SO much more simple to use. Not trying to convince or sell the idea, just raising a point. You keep on plugging away with you diesel...........

As for pollution, I agree that there is no or little pollution free transport easily available. Some say you might be able to use solar panels to charge up the beast, but not always available. But electric is certainly no more polluting that either petrol of diesel. But it is really inconvenient to have to plug it in three of four times a week. They ought to have the contactless charging system. Yes not sure how the disposal of Lithium batteries is carried out.

What does amaze me is that there are so few on the road, I rarely see them here in South Wales. But I am a on the edge of a village, maybe more can be seen in towns

Glad that Harold has sorted his problem..........

Electric car--no road tax, 2.5p per mile, no congestion charge if you are unlucky enough to live in London

My Flickr
Old 6th February 2017

Quote:
Electric car sounds SO much more simple to use. Not trying to convince or sell the idea, just raising a point. You keep on plugging away with you diesel...........

As for pollution, I agree that there is no or little pollution free transport easily available. Some say you might be able to use solar panels to charge up the beast, but not always available. But electric is certainly no more polluting that either petrol of diesel. But it is really inconvenient to have to plug it in three of four times a week. They ought to have the contactless charging system. Yes not sure how the disposal of Lithium batteries is carried out.

What does amaze me is that there are so few on the road, I rarely see them here in South Wales. But I am a on the edge of a village, maybe more can be seen in towns

Glad that Harold has sorted his problem..........

Electric car--no road tax, 2.5p per mile, no congestion charge if you are unlucky enough to live in London
I don't see petrol or diesel cars as a solution; simply the least worst means of getting from A to B by road!

I'm afraid that electric cars are significantly MORE polluting than either, unless they can be charged with electricity generated in nuclear power stations or from renewable sources.

The only reason that electric cars are so cheap to run is that nobody has yet found a way to die the electrons so HMRC and VOSA Inspectors can see whether Fuel Excise Duty has been paid on it! Likewise LPG and LNG.

If drivers of electric vehicles were taxed according to their true CO2 emissions, and in line with petrol/diesel it would cost more like 50 pence per mile, which would be rather less attractive.

The true cost of petrol and diesel is only about 45 pence per litre, so at 50 MPG that would cost about 4.4 pence per mile!

We are told that diesel cars are now public enemy No 1 when it comes to air pollution, but the reality is that diesel cars only contribute a small fraction of the pollution in our towns and cities.

Thankfully I don't need to visit London very often, but I have been told that air quality is significantly improved when the bus drivers are on strike!

There are also huge numbers of diesel delivery vans and heavy commercial vehicles travelling around the city, plus thousands of long distance coaches.

Some with longer memories may remember when London had electric trams and trolley buses. These were a much more elegant solution than carrying heavy, toxic, expensive, highly reactive storage batteries around in road vehicles. Whatever happened to them? Cleared out to make way for cars no doubt, just like the Beeching cuts to the railways.

For me there is precious little pleasure in driving anywhere by road nowadays. There is simply too much traffic about. I would far rather be on a train if it gets me to where I want to be. And yes, most trains are much nicer to look at.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th February 2017

Yes what ever facts and figures suit..............

My motoring cost is about 2.5p per mile when using the electric noddy car. (fuel and car tax)
When I want a nice drive I drive the RX8, now that is a gas guzzler. But still cheaper to run it as opposed to buying another car

But driving these days is much less pleasure than it used to be, all those bloody cars blocking my way, and those jam sandwiches trying to stop me doing 71mphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

On yer bike

My Flickr
Old 6th February 2017

Quote:

When I want a nice drive I drive the RX8, now that is a gas guzzler. But still cheaper to run it as opposed to buying another car
"The RX-8 was removed from the European market in 2010 after the car failed to meet emissions standards."

Tut, Tut, Tut!

Harold
Naughty Nigel (6th February 2017)