Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 10th September 2018

Liked 610 Times in 420 Posts
Re: August Photo Challenge: Drama

Thanks for the reminder, likes duly distributed

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (10th September 2018)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,887 Times in 969 Posts

Last voting day...……...

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

August Photo Challenge: Drama: Results

1st place--------Wreckdiver---------Oceanic whitetip------------8 votes

2nd place-------ChairoScuro--------DramaAugust72-------------7 votes

3rd place=------timclarkih----------Not in my Name-------------6 votes

3rd place=------OM User-----------Jousting-----------------------6 votes

Also rans include PDK42 with 5 votes, Alfbranch, MJ224, and Phill D with 4 votes

Once again a well supported challenge with 19 entries, and 20 individual voters...…….(52 votes in all)

Votes were fairly evenly spread, perhaps showing an even standard of entries.

Congrats to WreckDiver, need to check if he still has a full complement of limbs.

And to ChairoScuro for 2nd place, timclarkih and OM User for 3rd place.

Summary to follow in the next few days, but feel free to comment on all or any of the entries.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
shenstone (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Cough cough...………...

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

October challenge subject...…………….Harvest...……...

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Liked 379 Times in 205 Posts

Fascinating that there are so many interpretations of a word - so many interpretations.. and still a winner !

I remember my feeling when the divemaster indicated shark.... I certainly felt some drama... but had no where near as nice a view ... well done !

regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following User Says Thank You to shenstone For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Wreckdiver (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

As promised, here is the review of the August Photo Challenge: Drama

Blu by u was kind enough to spend time to write up part of the review, and I (mj224) added to it...…….

Pdk42
Drama as the Sun Goes Down
Very dramatic clouds captures the eye. The rise of the Cloud column and the lights in the back of the clouds points to the lonely windmill. The hills are alive with the sound of music.

Blu bu u
Oh No
Looks though the crowd had a near escape. Fancied they were standing a bit close with their expensive camera gear. Photo captured the moment well. The foreground might have been softened up a bit, perhaps reduced.

Chris
Down the Plughole.
What a huge sink and it’s like when you pull the drain plug. The slow shutter worked as the lines are drawn to the drain plug. Just wondering how would this shot look in colour?

Mik
RNLI
A for the drama. rescue people have drama all the time. Having a slightly slower shutter may improve that dramatic effect. And also that photographer’s bag, could have been cropped that out.

Barr1e
Footloose.
Hehehe. Reminds me of me in Hokkaido. Move a bit further up to the tracks, it would improve the drama. As if a truck rolled over you!!

Jakeblu
Drama in the sky
Yes a dramatic sky for certain. The crop lines lead the eye to the sky very well. The bale (roll?) of hay does the same. Well seen……Looks like my daughter's favourite game: Harvest Moon.

hruissen
Dramatic Dead Tree
Almost an abstract photo, well seen and photo’d. The exposure is spot on, allowing the tree detail to come through, and still maintaining the lovely sky tones. The tree fills the frame nicely, and leaves (haha) a bit of mystery where it’s going to next. If I was half dying from thirst and hunger in the desert, I would have hallucinated and thought there was a sinister looking face in that tree. Just smiling and watching as I died.

Ricoh
Drama at the funfair
Steve’s liking of film and grain work well here. The angle of the swinging arm is accentuated by the angle of St Pauls (Is it?) and gives that sense of movement and drama. The B/W adds to the drama. Has a very interesting vintage look of B/W film.

MJ224
Melyncourt Falls.
Very dramatic water cascading down onto the two dark dramatic rocks. Looks like a scene that would fit in well with Princess Mononoke. Soft flowing white on harden rocks. I am really surprised that there are no movement on the leaves in the foreground.

Timclarkih

Police drama
A well caught (!) scene at a protest march in London. A really good photo journalist shot, well worthy of publication. I see you were using a 25mm lens, so you got pretty close to the action. A brave street photo. Are you a reporter? Very well shot documenting the interaction between public and the law. And the choice of Black And White works well too.

Chairoscuro
DramaAugust72
A composite photo from Thorod. Cracking tones of the sky/clouds, and a very peaceful scene in the foreground. With that sky cloud, the peace would have not lasted long.

Rebnats
Pirates
The pirate was not taking you photographing him lightly. Hope you survived. A nice action photo, and one wonders what the little lad did with that sword afterwards. Nice colours and composition. Captain Jack Sparrow is back! And he doesn't look happy that you photographed him!

Keith-369
Sparrowhawk and kill
A very well caught drama photo. Exposure just spot on. The hawk’s eyes tell you a story—Stay Away or you’ll be next! You were in the right place at the right time, a great wild life photo.

Graham of Rainham
Crypt
A dramatically exposed photo. Taken with your XZ-1 at 1/10th second. Works very well with just that one light. Subdued colour/tone is so appropriate, Poor fella on the bed, needs a bit of TLC..:-) The Da Vinci Code revisited! It looks like the clues brought them to this crypt. I wonder what will happen next?

Phill D
After the storm
What a dramatic sky, and foreground. I am looking where to step right now. Great composition and colours, with the track leading the eye to the centre of the frame. Hope you did not get too wet, and a good job the camera is weatherproof. Harvest Moon Part 2, if they ever decide to introduce tractors to the game.

Wreckdiver
Ocean Whitetip

A worthy Winner. So close to a beast of the sea. The exposure and colouring certainly lets you know you are underwater. Composition lets you know that the Whitetip was menacingly calm. A brave photo I would say. "Fish are friends!" said a shark from Finding Nemo before he smelled blood.

Alfbranch
A drunken brawl
A close-up macro of the wasps tottering on a apple, drinking their fill. Colours and detail really nice. Focus has included most of the little insects. Sigma lens does the job well. An insight into their dramatic little lives. Reminds me of the Bee Movie where bees have little families and lives of their own within the hive colony. In this photo, two bees can be seen on a romantic date at the Apple Restaurant.

AMc
Wheel to Wheel
An action photo well caught, exposure just right. Colouring and lighting really sets off these cars. Fuzzy background and road give the sense of dramatic action. A legal version of Need for Speed on a proper racetrack.

OM User
Jousting at Warwick Castle
Photo just catches the drama. One knight about to tumble, and his opponent losing his lance. The onlooking crowd are looking on with tension. I like the foreground rope barrier, holds the photo in as does the crowd on the far side. Well taken. It feels like they invented a time machine and brought these brave knights to the future.

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (4 Weeks Ago), Phill D (4 Weeks Ago), shenstone (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,114 Posts
Liked 1,579 Times in 796 Posts

Well done guys. A nice review done in good time. Much quicker than I managed when I did it
No I didn't get wet on that occasion I was lucky enough to see the rain coming back in the distance as I was shooting at the mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 464 Times in 246 Posts

Congratulations to Wreckdiver. It's not everyday you see a shark.

Question, How dangerous is meeting a shark when diving?

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to blu-by-u For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,308 Posts
Liked 3,927 Times in 1,851 Posts

A high standard of entries, congratulations to the winners.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts

Thank you to all for viewing and voting for my shark. We had around 20 mins with the shark, she was very inquisitive with all the divers around her. Unfortunately, we ran out of gas long before she was ready to leave and she followed me back to the RIB. Congratulations to all the other entrants, some excellent images.

Best wishes

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Wreckdiver For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
shenstone (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post

Question, How dangerous is meeting a shark when diving?
Sharks are not the vicious killers that has so often been portrayed in the press blu-by-u. Many are inquisitive and like to "check out" divers, others are extremely timid and can be difficult to get close to. The Oceanic whitetip is one of the more curious of sharks and usually shows no hesitation when approaching divers, this one certainly was curious but she kept her distance. The great white and some other sharks can be dangerous at times but they won't go out to attack you, they are invariably just curious. You have to remember that the only way they have of knowing whether an animal is suitable prey or not is with their teeth but of the very few attacks worldwide most are not fatal and are usually mistaken identity.

Where it can get dangerous is when there are surfers in the water and great whites (and some other species) are around. To a GW they look like seals from depth and their method of sussing out prey is to power up from depth and take by surprise, by which time it can be too late for the surfer. The shark will often realise its mistake and not continue with the attack.

Of course you should always maintain a healthy respect for them and look for the warning signs (lowering of the pectoral fins, arching of the back, snaking and heightened activity and thrashing) and get out of the water when you see them. If a shark starts to get a little "too friendly" often a deliberate darting motion towards its face will be enough to scare it off. A punch on the snout as a last resort can often work. Always keeping your eyes on them so that they know you are watching them. They'll be more wary that way.

Statistically, there are less than 10 attacks worldwide annually, with most non fatal. On the other hand, we slaughter around 100 million per year and most shark populations have been decimated by over 90% worldwide in the past 50 years.

So, sharks are not the enemy and most divers will actively seek them out to swim with them. It really is an amazing experience and I thoroughly recommend being in the water with them, just be cautious and sensible and you'll be OK.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Wreckdiver For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (4 Weeks Ago)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (4 Weeks Ago), chris (4 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago), Phill D (4 Weeks Ago), shenstone (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks Steve for the enlightenment...…..You sound very enthusiastic and well informed.

As with most wildlife, we are not on the menu. Attacks are often driven by error or mistakes on our part.

And a great photo...…………..

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
Wreckdiver (4 Weeks Ago)
Wreckdiver (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,314 Times in 1,257 Posts
Liked 1,060 Times in 732 Posts

Well done to all those who entered, congratulations to the winners, thanks for the summation aty the end.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and I appreciate your time. I'm not a reporter but the only way to get the shot is to get in there. The 25mm was a bit limiting as people got in front quickly, the 12-40mm would have been better. I'm enjoying photographing demonstrations and marches.

some more at
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A5
The Following User Says Thank You to timclarkih For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
OM USer (3 Weeks Ago)