Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 22nd July 2017

Liked 220 Times in 100 Posts
Bridal Portrait With One Light

I was fascinated by Hannahís quite arresting gaze, and had the idea for this particular image from early in the day.

Itís actually lit by a single light source, boomed above me. Access was a little tight, as there is a piano between the couple and me. As you do.

I particularly like the red wall in the lounge area behind the reception of the Park Hall Hotel, and quite liked the contrast it threw up against the white bridal gown. Once Hannah and Lee were positioned, I had the best man hold the boomed Lencarta Atom 360 above me, and angled towards the couple. The Atom was paired to the atom specific folding octa, which also had the honecomb fitted so as not to cause unwanted light bounce from the ceiling. The output was set at 1/32 and easily adjusted on the fly via the Wavesync Commander unit.

1/60th sec ISO1600 f5.6

Want to see my workspace?

Now, how many of you pursed your lips and drew breath when reading the camera settings?

The reason I was using 1600 was down to the fact I only had room to get the one light in. Lee and Hannah were in a corner (well, a plant was in the corner, TBH), and I couldnít get additional lights anywhere near them due to the piano. This was one of those situations where you either run what yer brung, or go home. The ISO of 1600 also meant the wall light gave the gentlest touch of accent light (albeit a bit warm from the tungsten bulb!) to Hannahís hair and shoulder.

Now, the above image was actually the last image of the informal bridal portrait session, and the first images were also obtained using only one light source. The reception area at Park Hall has one of those fascinating black and white tiled floors, and itís been an area Iíve often wanted to do something ďinterestingĒ in. Like a lot of hotel receptions nowadays, it tends to be full of tables, chairs and jewellery cabinets. I wanted the floor to be quite prominent in the image, but I also wanted the bride and groom to be isolated from all the distractions of the reception area.

The obvious thing to do was to light the couple from overhead.

In truth, the light isnít actually dead overhead, but brought forward a little, so more detail can be revealed in their faces and also the dress. I dialled the ISO down to 100 so as to effectively nullify anything by way of lighting from the reception area. A shutter speed of 1/200th sec and an aperture of f5.6 was used, again to crush anything by way of ambient light. The Atom was set to ľ output through the folding octa I mentioned earlier. Again the honeycomb was in use to restrict the light path, and ensure it didnít accidentally reveal the surrounding clutter in the reception.

1/200th sec ISO100 f5.6

Want to see one more?

Pretty much the same settings, except the aperture was increased by 1/3rd of a stop.

1/200th sec ISO100 f6.3
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (24th July 2017), raichea (22nd July 2017)
Old 22nd July 2017

Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 2,206 Times in 1,054 Posts
Re: Bridal Portrait With One Light

Lovely shots Michael and an excellent walk through of your process. Your attention to detail is brilliant I really enjoyed reading this post.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Michael Sewell (22nd July 2017)
Old 22nd July 2017
Administrator

Liked 1,559 Times in 894 Posts

Working tight spaces is indeed a challenge to get the lighting right.

When shooting weddings and fashion, what technique do you use to ensure the colours of the dresses come out correctly in the finished product?

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 22nd July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Working tight spaces is indeed a challenge to get the lighting right.

When shooting weddings and fashion, what technique do you use to ensure the colours of the dresses come out correctly in the finished product?

I will often use a grey card, or manually set the colour balance in post.

Mixed lighting can be an issue, to say the least
Graham_of_Rainham (22nd July 2017)
Old 22nd July 2017

Fixing WB issues in Jpegs:

The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Sewell For This Useful Post:
tomphotofx (25th July 2017)
Old 23rd July 2017

Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,393 Posts
Liked 1,365 Times in 870 Posts

Thank you Michael.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Michael Sewell (23rd July 2017)