Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen-F

Olympus Pen-F The first Pen to integrate an electronic viewfinder

Old 3rd April 2018

Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
About to buy a Pen-F

As the title says I am expecting to pull the trigger on a mFT camera in the near future. I am not about to get rid of my FF gear but would like something more portable (especially when not really taking photos). I already have a adaptors for FT (MMF1) and Canon FD so I can use my old collections.

My query is: Is there anything I should be warned about and does the focus peaking work well?
Old 3rd April 2018

Thanked 1,013 Times in 770 Posts
Liked 4,528 Times in 1,475 Posts
Re: About to buy a Pen-F

It's a great camera - well, I love mine anyhow

Points to mention...

- Focus peaking works reasonably well in good light and when there's sufficient contrast on the object you're focusing on. However, it's not uber precise. The range of focusing over which the peaking will illuminate is greater than peak sharpness so it takes some practice to get right. OTOH, focus magnify works very well for critical focus. You can set a button to turn peaking on/off so you can choose which works for you.

- Grip is OK, but it's much improved with a cheap leather half case available on ebay for less than a tenner:

- If you are planning on using manual FD lenses, there's a nice feature whereby you can set the name, focal length and Max f stop of the lens. This gets saved into the EXIF and is also used to set the IBIS focal length.

- CAF is hopeless. Won't matter I don't suppose with manual glass or even 43 glass (where it'll be terrible all the time ), but if you do go on to use m43 lenses, it's something to be aware of.

- I find the exp comp dial too stiff to easily use with the camera to the eye; so I've programmed the rear dial to exp comp. That also had the advantage of resetting to 0 after a power cycle and being consistent with how I've setup my EM1.2 (which doesn't have a dedicated exp comp dial).

- Black is sexier than silver!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (4th April 2018), OM USer (4th April 2018), RogerMac (3rd April 2018), Zuiko (3rd April 2018)
Old 3rd April 2018

Thanks for the quick response I think I have taken it all on board. You may have gathered that I intend to keep my FF Canon gear and I stopped using the E5 but I would like to have light alternative to fit into my shoulder bag.
Old 3rd April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
Thanks for the quick response I think I have taken it all on board. You may have gathered that I intend to keep my FF Canon gear and I stopped using the E5 but I would like to have light alternative to fit into my shoulder bag.
Ha - I bought my first Olympus m43 camera as a lightweight "side camera" to my Canon FF gear (5Dii), but 6 months later I'd sold all the Canon stuff!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (4th April 2018), RobEW (17th April 2018)
Old 3rd April 2018

Only time will tell
Old 16th April 2018

Just to let you all know that I have just ordered the Pen-F plus 17mm prime. Its first job is to be a lightweight travel camera to Switzerland next weekend
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (17th April 2018)
Old 16th April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
Just to let you all know that I have just ordered the Pen-F plus 17mm prime. Its first job is to be a lightweight travel camera to Switzerland next weekend
I'm sure it'll work admirably! When you get it there are a few things you need to do - essential settings:

1) Set shutter to "0s anti-shock" (diamond symbol) and enable release-time lag = short (bottom of cogs menu C I think). This will 100% guarantee no potential for shutter shock.

2) Turn "keep wam colors" to off (cogs menu G). This will stop interior shots in artificial light looking too orange.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (16th April 2018), RogerMac (16th April 2018)
Old 17th April 2018

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I noticed that there are quite a few Pen F bodies for sale from japan on Ebay at ridiculously low prices...60 or there about.
I have bought old lenses from there in the past, and paid import duties on them - though not ridiculously high and the lenses did take maybe 3 or 4 weeks to arrive.
Anyone bought one of these or have a view on it?
Surely the pen F is not that much cheaper in Japan...or is it?
Old 17th April 2018

Liked 992 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
I noticed that there are quite a few Pen F bodies for sale from japan on Ebay at ridiculously low prices...60 or there about.
I can only see original film Pen F bodies at that price!

Jim
Old 17th April 2018

Liked 1,479 Times in 895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
I have bought old lenses from there in the past, and paid import duties on them - though not ridiculously high and the lenses did take maybe 3 or 4 weeks to arrive.
Anyone bought one of these or have a view on it?
Surely the pen F is not that much cheaper in Japan...or is it?
I suspect you're looking at the Pen F or Pen FT half frame, but 60 is likely to buy a heap of junk.
Here's my Pen FT complete with 40mm f/1.4. Add another naught and you're getting closer to the price. (I didn't pay quite as much but in the same ball park.)
Pen F-2 by -Steve Ricoh-

on flickr
Old 17th April 2018

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ah yes...you appear to be right.
Not a camera that I am familiar with. I started on OM 10s, then went to OM2s.
Old 17th April 2018

Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post

1) Set shutter to "0s anti-shock" (diamond symbol) and enable release-time lag = short (bottom of cogs menu C I think). This will 100% guarantee no potential for shutter shock.

I've done this on my E-M1 on advice from various sources, but have no real idea why, as I don't really understand what's going on, and don't really know what shutter shock is, and under what circumstances it occurs, and what effect it has. (In particular I have picked up the impression that these menu settings are important and effective even if you're using the "single" rather than "anti-shock" shutter mode - but I might be wrong).

In fact I'm very hazy in my mind about various aspects of detail about how the shutter works, and the difference between electronic and mechanical (and a semi-electronic version for fast shutter speeds that I read of somewhere). For instance I was completely surprised and confused that changing shutter mode to silent (the heart symbol) affected not only the noisiness of shooting but also a host of other parameters, and for some reason prohibits the use of flash! I think the diamond (anti-shock) symbol has similarly drastic side effects.

Is there somewhere (online perhaps) a detailed explanation of the timing and mechanics of what's going on? I think an accurate mental model of the internal workings would help my understanding of what impact the controls have on the image. It's a shame I haven't found a detailed timeline of the shooting process after having read the Oly manual and also handbooks by Busch and Young.
Old 17th April 2018

Wrong thread to ask that question I suppose ... it was a sort of stream of consciousness.
Old 17th April 2018

Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts

Shutter shock is simply a vibration caused by the movement of the mechanical shutter. It causes blurred photos at slow shutter speeds. The anti-shock (diamond) mode 0s does not have side effects. Do exactly what pdk42 said:
"1) Set shutter to "0s anti-shock" (diamond symbol) and enable release-time lag = short (bottom of cogs menu C I think). This will 100% guarantee no potential for shutter shock."

[I don't happen to agree with his other suggestion "2) Turn "keep warm colors" to off (cogs menu G). This will stop interior shots in artificial light looking too orange."
The reason - I like interior shots to look a bit yellow, that is what we actually see in our houses at night. It is a matter of individual preference.]
The Following User Says Thank You to Growltiger For This Useful Post:
RobEW (17th April 2018)
Old 17th April 2018

Thanks. Does this setting in the menus (E-M1 shooting menu 2 / Anti-Shock / 0 seconds) make a difference only when the diamond shutter mode is selected (e.g. using the SCP)? I've always been using the rectangle shutter mode, described as "single".

(And if there are no side effects, I'm wondering why the rectangle mode exists, and is the default setting? Surely no-one wants shutter shock?)