Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 616 Times in 424 Posts
Adobe CC updates

For this of us on the Adobe CC bandwagon there is a new set of updates. I haven't tried anything out yet but from a quick look at the descriptions there are some small goodies in Lightroom, more substantial goodies in Photoshop and a redesigned interface in Bridge.

Some of the new goodies are related to our other threads about AI creeping into photography. Lightroom now allows "Depth range masking", and Photoshop has new new content-aware features. There is a new process version for raw files (version 5) which apparently improves things at high ISO, particularly with magenta casts which is a problem I have often had.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop...whats-new.html

The new stuff looks nice, but my main hope is that they have mended the almighty screw-up that they made with Photoshop printing earlier this year. I am not optimistic but prepared to be surprised.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
IainMacD (4 Weeks Ago), OM USer (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Adobe CC updates

Sorry, forgot to include this one:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-ra...whats-new.html

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
dnic (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Downloaded mine a couple of days ago, just one thing to be aware of. For those of you who have the free version of the Nic collection plug ins, just make sure you have your original download somewhere secure as the latest updates from Adobe deletes it and you will need to reinstall it. If you have not then don't check the box that says delete previous versions of this software when accepting the download or you will lose it for good and it will cost you the best part of 60 to get it back. Just thought members should be aware of this, regards, Ian W.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IPWheatley For This Useful Post:
Bikie John (4 Weeks Ago), dnic (4 Weeks Ago), Phill D (4 Weeks Ago), Wee man (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,028 Times in 510 Posts

The good news when you do the update is it leaves your previous version installed as well.
It however doesn't copy any filters you had installed so they need to be copied from the filters folder in the previous version.

My Flickr
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Grumpy Member

Liked 484 Times in 230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post

The new stuff looks nice, but my main hope is that they have mended the almighty screw-up that they made with Photoshop printing earlier this year. I am not optimistic but prepared to be surprised.

John
John - Interested in your comments re printing problems. I've had no problems at all so I'm curious what you are referring to.

Hec
Old 2 Weeks Ago

It's the print dialogue, Hec. The previews are (often) not sowing properly - very pixellated, sometimes incomplete. Printer settings (e.g. portrait/landscape) are (often) not showing in the preview. Other options (profile etc.) are (often) not remembered. Extras such as printing a border (always) don't work.

It's difficult to be specific. The print dialogue, together with setting in the print driver, cover such a huge number of options that it is quite hard to be certain about what's going wrong. At the moment I check every time that everything is OK, and explicitly add a border if I want it. It is all more work - not much on a single case but a pain if you are doing several prints, and with plenty of scope to forget something.

Adobe have accepted it as a problem, and any time an update is due they say it is going to be fixed. And then don't fix it.

John
Old 1 Week Ago
Stock Shooter

Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
For this of us on the Adobe CC bandwagon there is a new set of updates. I haven't tried anything out yet but from a quick look at the descriptions there are some small goodies in Lightroom, more substantial goodies in Photoshop and a redesigned interface in Bridge.

Some of the new goodies are related to our other threads about AI creeping into photography. Lightroom now allows "Depth range masking", and Photoshop has new new content-aware features. There is a new process version for raw files (version 5) which apparently improves things at high ISO, particularly with magenta casts which is a problem I have often had.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop...whats-new.html

John
Hi John,

I am interested to know about the "Photoshop printing screw up" you mention. I moved up to LR and PS 2019, a while ago and both worked without problems. Last week I decided my old Acer 5750 laptop needed to be retired, and bought a DELL Inspiron 5000 instead.

On the DELL, when I try to print from PS 2019, after clicking "Print" there is a long pause and then the PS shuts down. All other programs print properly, so my download of the printer driver seems OK.

There is no way I can find any useful "Help" function from Adobe, so any help here would be appreciated.

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
Old 1 Week Ago

Sorry to hear about your woes, Peter. I haven't had that problem and don't recall seeing any similar descriptions when I was trawling around for info on the problems with the print dialogue box.

Can you print OK from Lightroom? I know the interface is different but there might be some shared code under the covers - if that blows up as well it would be a pretty strong clue that there is something a bit awry with Adobe talking to the driver.

John
Old 1 Week Ago
Stock Shooter

I principle, I can print from Lightroom, but the interface is difficult, so far my attempts to print a 6"x 4" gloss print has only produced the image on A4 paper divided into four separate sheets.

This does however prove that CC does talk to my printer but not in any language it understands.

Exploring the Adobe CC website it appears to be possible to install an earlier version of PS (2017), but I have not managed to do that yet.

And another thing, when I was still using LR 5.7, before subscribing to CC, I downloaded the Nik Collection free from Google. This appeared as another option for editing in LR. When I went on to the subscription LRCC, I was pleased to see the Nik collection was still there, picked up from my 5.7 at installation. When I upgraded to LR 2019 on my old computer, it was still there. When I installed LR 2019 on my new computer it had vanished.

I will keep trying to install the PS 2017 from CC, and if that fails I will reinstall my old PS CS7 so I can do printing. . .

Old 1 Week Ago

I would be tempted to uninstall the printer driver, make sure it's the latest version, and reinstall - less extreme than getting hold of an old version of PS! but you may already have done that, of course....

I agree with you about the LR print interface. I did eventually persuade it to print what I wanted - a 6 x 9 print in the middle of a sheet of A4 - and I think it will do some quite clever stuff. but I much prefer to do it in PS where there is explicit control over placement etc.

I think there is another thread somewhere about the Nik Collection and LR/PS upgrades.

John
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts

I agree that at first printing from LR Classic is a bit daunting. However, found a tutorial on YouTube

Anthony Morganti - a set of 4 videos. He reveals all. Would not now print a photo from anywhere else.

Flickr
Old 1 Week Ago
Stock Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
I agree that at first printing from LR Classic is a bit daunting. However, found a tutorial on YouTube
Printing in Lightroom - Episode :1 Screen Calibration - YouTube

Anthony Morganti - a set of 4 videos. He reveals all. Would not now print a photo from anywhere else.
David,

Many thanks, I will have a look at that.

Old 2 Days Ago
Stock Shooter

David,

I followed through with those videos, and after much head scratching, I am now able to print from Lightroom.

Once you learn how to do it, it does give much more control over the finished print than PS does. I was practising on paper bought from W H Smith. Maybe I am wrong, but I did not even bother to search for an ICC profile for that paper. Having the right ICC profile for the paper you are using is desirable, as is calibrating the screen. As it was, I got by without either of these.

Even so, like you, I will not print any other way in future.

Thanks again. . .

The Following User Liked This Post:
Adagio (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago

Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts

Peter

Glad it proved helpful.

Flickr