Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Hello from Bucks

I only found this forum several days ago, whilst searching for info on the forthcoming new 'high end' Olympus camera, not previously realising there was a UK Olympus forum. A few years ago I joined a m4/3 forum but never got involved as I only use Olympus products, found many (non-UK) suggestions irrelevant, plus disliked some the spats about technical details (m4/3 DoF?). After spending a few days browsing the threads here, I think I've made the right choice and found a friendly, relevant forum.

In 1974 (I think) I bought my first OM1, which I still have, followed by quite a collection of legacy glass, winders, flashgun, etc., (which I also still have). When digital cameras were introduced, I bought Olympus Camedia models, and still have my old c310 zoom (think it cost a month's salary at the time). In latter years I swopped allegiance to Lumix TZ 'travel zoom' but eventually ditched them due to continued sucking in dust problems.

To be continued (I've been evicted from the dining table ...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
dnic (1 Week Ago), drmarkf (1 Week Ago), Graham_of_Rainham (1 Week Ago), Ian (1 Week Ago), MJ224 (1 Week Ago), OM USer (1 Week Ago), shenstone (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,177 Posts
Liked 1,445 Times in 667 Posts
Re: Hello from Bucks

Sounds like you are going to be very much at home here - welcome!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
DavidB (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Liked 1,381 Times in 810 Posts

Hello David, and welcome to the Forum

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

I then bought my Em5 with 'kit' 12-50 + 'free' 45mm f1.8 (plus adaptor for my old OM lenses), followed by a few other bits and pieces including my 14-150mm, 75-300mm and 60mm macro which then became my core lenses.

Which was followed by a Pen-F with a 17mm f1.8, then an OMD EM1 Mk2, followed by 40 -150 f2.8 + 1.4 TC, then 300mm f4, and have just purchased an EE-1 dot sight when the price dropped by 20 a few weeks ago.

Future purchases I'm now considering are the 12-40 f2.8, 12mm f2 and a square/rectangular filter system, and I'm really struggling to find the best option for the latter.

To be contd with the type of stuff I do ...
The Following User Liked This Post:
dnic (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,990 Times in 1,013 Posts

Welcome David, look forward to seeing some photos from you. The Challenges are good to see others work, and put your own in......

My Flickr
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Welcome, David.

Good to see you have finally found a group that meets your needs. the 12-40mm 2.8 is an amazing lens.

I too have a collection of OM 1 cameras, with a number of the original OM lenses.

Enjoy the e-group.
David
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
To be contd with the type of stuff I do ...
When I was successful in getting early retirement (I never wanted to work beyond 50) I didn't pursue photography as much as I thought I would, but recently what would have previously been purely fishing trips have changed to calling in an RSPB reserve on the way to (or way back) the coast, normally Dorset or Exmoor, exploring the local area, heading off to the other coast to do the samr, campsite for the night in season, B&B out of season, and perhaps get a couple of hours of fishing in somewhere. As I stay only a few minutes drive from dark skies locations I'm tempted to try some astro photography.

Locally, taking our dog out for about 10 miles a day, starting before dawn (except for summer) I usually take a camera if expecting a good sunrise/sunset. Where we take our dog nearly every day there's usually 2 Barn Owls around dawn, Kestrels, Red Kites, Buzzards,100s of Skylarks, Meadow Pippets, Geese, Mallards and an occasional Little Egret on the pond, yesterday there was a Peregrine. We regularly see Roe Deer in the fields and occasional Fallow Deer, lots of Foxes, up to 5 Buzzards at time (mainly over my veg plot). This morning there were 6 Red Kites on the village school's fields, but we've seen over 30 where they roost. All that within a 5 to 15 min walk from our house.

There's also a nature reserve only 5 miles away with a couple of hides and gets visited by Otters.
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,268 Posts
Liked 1,098 Times in 750 Posts

A warm welcome David - I stoll have all my "old" OM kit as well.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnic View Post
I too have a collection of OM 1 cameras, with a number of the original OM lenses
Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
A warm welcome David - I stoll have all my "old" OM kit as well.
I must catalogue my old OM stuff - is there a thread for this?

Since aquiring the 1.4x TC I've been playing with using that in conjunction with my OM Zuiko to m4/3 adaptor as it can protude into it, enabling use with the old OM lenses.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,990 Times in 1,013 Posts

I think you can add them to your profile, certainly your signature......

My Flickr