Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P5

Olympus Pen E-P5 The Pen E-P5 is the first Olympus system camera to offer integrated wifi and a top shutter speed of 1/800th second.

Old 12th December 2018

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Shutter button missing cap

Recently, I discovered that the top cap for my E-P5 had become detached and gone missing. The camera still works, but it is now uncomfortable to depress the shutter button. I did try to get a replacement part from a good Olympus spares dealer (Luton Cameras in the UK, where I live), but they were not able to assist with this part, although they were able to assist with things like a hotshoe cover for the E-M1.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find a replacement (perhaps a spares or repairs E-P5 body; or do other PEN cameras have a compatible shutter button)? It is not pleasant using the camera with the missing button cap. Recently, I discovered that the top cap for my E-P5 had become detached and gone missing. The camera still works, but it is now uncomfortable to depress the shutter button. I did try to get a replacement part from a good Olympus spares dealer (Luton Cameras in the UK, where I live), but they were not able to assist with this part, although they were able to assist with things like a hotshoe cover for the E-M1.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find a replacement (perhaps a spares or repairs E-P5 body; or do other PEN cameras have a compatible shutter button)? It is not pleasant using the camera with the missing button cap.

Recently, I discovered that the top cap for my E-P5 had become detached and gone missing. The camera still works, but it is now uncomfortable to depress the shutter button. I did try to get a replacement part from a good Olympus spares dealer (Luton Cameras in the UK, where I live), but they were not able to assist with this part, although they were able to assist with things like a hotshoe cover for the E-M1.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find a replacement (perhaps a spares or repairs E-P5 body; or do other PEN cameras have a compatible shutter button)? It is not pleasant using the camera with the missing button cap.

Old 12th December 2018

Liked 2,691 Times in 1,284 Posts
Re: Shutter button missing cap

Sounds like a spares or repairs job. There is a camera shop in Cardiff that has loads of old cameras for sale. They are shelved, and prices vary...

Can be more specific if you want to contact them.....

My Flickr
Old 12th December 2018

Liked 1,449 Times in 925 Posts

All I can see on my E-P5 is an 8mm disk for the shutter release, so I can't tell how deep it is or what the means of attachment is. If it's very simple underneath, and if you're really, really stuck, I might be able to turn one up for you on a friend's lathe - but it would be in the New Year. What can you see of the shutter actuation?

Jim
Old 12th December 2018

Thank you both - that is most helpful. May I ask what the name of the shop in Cardiff is? I live in London, so may I ask whether you know whether they deal in mail order?

Jim - that is very kind. I was wondering whether to try to have one 3d printed. I will see if I can get a picture of the attachment mechanism when I get a chance.
Old 12th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespetts View Post
Jim - that is very kind. I was wondering whether to try to have one 3d printed. I will see if I can get a picture of the attachment mechanism when I get a chance.
An image would be very helpful. Also measurements. I think that a one-off three D printed would be expensive.

Jim
Old 12th December 2018

Liked 345 Times in 175 Posts

If you're not too concerned about looks then you could make one with Sugru?

https://sugru.com/buy
Old 12th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
If you're not too concerned about looks then you could make one with Sugru?
... or Polymorph:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Polym.../dp/B0027IZC3S

I could let you have some, if you want to give it a try. You put the granules in hot water and they soften so they can be moulded. When cool it sets into a hard nylon like plastic that can melted and be reused many times if you don't like the first result.

(A good substitute for Sugru is a mixture of silicone sealer and corn starch:
https://www.instructables.com/id/How...ru-Substitute/ I've tried it - it works OK.)

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
AMc (12th December 2018)
Old 12th December 2018

Liked 2,691 Times in 1,284 Posts

Camera Centre
Address: 13-15 Morgan Arcade, City Centre, Cardiff CF10 1AF
Phone: 01633 262738

I hope they can be helpful.....

My Flickr
Old 12th December 2018

Thank you all for your replies. Please see attached a picture of the shutter button as it is now. Apologies for the quality: I took it with my mobile telephone camera.

I do not think that I should like to make a blob of goo for my shutter button, but it would be useful to know whether these are compatible with other Olympus shutter button top caps to know how wide that I can cast my net for spares or repairs equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181212_220552.jpg (64.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 12th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespetts View Post
Thank you all for your replies. Please see attached a picture of the shutter button as it is now. Apologies for the quality: I took it with my mobile telephone camera.
So it looks like there's a flat dark plastic surface, with a raised rim on the outside, and a dimple in the middle also with a surrounding raised rim. Is that a fair description? Can I also see in the middle of the dimple a light coloured part which may be the remains of a broken screw?

Jim
Old 17th December 2018

Thank you all very much for your thoughts. I have decided to send this to Olympus for a repair, as I can arrange this easily with the London Camera Exchange and I can have the skipping dials fixed at the same time.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions, however.
Old 17th December 2018

What are "skipping dials"? Are they something I need to watch out for on my E-P5?

Jim
Old 17th December 2018

Yes, potentially - the E-P5, E-M1 and possibly some other cameras from circa 2013 have a problem in which the front and rear dials become unresponsive after a while, which is very annoying. This can be repaired by Olympus.

I had this problem on my E-M1, which was repaired, and have more recently had it on my E-P5, which I bought secondhand through this forum as an ex-hire model; the camera developed the problem some time after I acquired it.

The E-M1 I managed to get repaired free of charge through the London Camera Exchange as I had bought it from new from there, but the E-P5 repair I anticipate having to pay for.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamespetts For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (17th December 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (18th December 2018)