Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 238 Times in 118 Posts
Re: EM1 Mk1 vs Mk2

Well I thought it would open a whole can of worms and differing opinions..

Justifying the outlay is the thing...i've had the Mk1 since Feb 14 and i've been very pleased with it. I may not sell it but use it as a 2nd body if I need to be somewhere where I need a quick change of lens...if I value it out over the nearly 4 years i've had it, it works out at 325 pa...which is a lot less than some golf club membership so I take that as good value for money, the lenses are a different issue having now got 2 of the pro lenses I will not change those, the other 2 lenses I also would not part with, the little 45mm and 17mm are as good as you can get anywhere for the money.....so taking all the techie stuff that separates the dingles from the dangles it may be a step up for me when I take pictures at music venues, and the street pics....Paul if I can get close to your landscapes then I feel I may have cracked it..!! and many of the others that post on the forum (pics taken) and I want to get close to those if I can, but it takes practice and it is down the the photographer and not always the camera and whilst i'm not a big fan of post processing (a pic taken is a snippet of time and history) but understand that it is now part and parcel of digital photography, so is it worth it? Probably so I may just bite the bullet and get it, your only here on this journey once and hey that's the beauty of this forum people are so helpful and friendly and that's just as important...

Peter
OMD-EM1, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 9-18 F4, 17mm 1.8, 75-300Mk2, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 471 Times in 317 Posts

Another thing that may tilt you towards it - related to the battery gauge.

With all the earlier bodies I found that because the battery display was such a lottery, using a grip was pretty much essential for event photography. I really didn't want it to die at an unexpected moment. With the Mark II I haven't felt the need for the grip at all, as the percentage display lets me manage it pretty well. This has saved money (the cost of the grip) and the Mark II without (edited - sorry - originally had "with" which was pretty daft!) grip is smaller and handles more nicely than the Mark I with it.

For going out with just one camera, the Mark II is definitely first choice now. Not for any single big reason, but for an accumulation of fairly small ones.

John

Last edited by Bikie John; 1 Week Ago at 09:09 AM. Reason: Ty[o
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Hard to know what to believe... this is Bill Claff's chart - quite different:

Personally, I find highlights are handled better on the mkii and there is little, if any, penalty in shadow noise so I'm more persuaded by Bill's graph than DxO's. This review by Matthieu at Mirrorlessons reflects my own views on DR:

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/oly...e-and-metering
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Liked 1,054 Times in 635 Posts

A quick trawl has results between 12.5 and 13.2 This ties in with DxO results, which are respected by many as a good bench mark.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 59 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
The Mk1 has a 16MP sensor and the MK2 a 20MP, right(?), I'd want to know if there's an improved dynamic range. The photosites have to be smaller if there's 20/16 rammed into the same area. Smaller photosites generally mean less photon capacity between full and empty. I'm interested in the answer to this.
That assumes the same generation of technology, which these aren't.

My experience mirrors Pauls, the sensor is better and I also find slightly better colour retention in shadows on the mk2.

But, for me it isn't so much the headline features (20mp, better AF) that make the mk2 better, it's all the little things such as the e-shutter, better battery life, more control (focus limiter), deeper buffer, faster write speed etc that makes it a much nicer camera to use.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,003 Times in 612 Posts

I'm happy to learn the EM5 Mk1 is not too dissimilar, having a DR of 12 at ISO 200. That will do me.

on flickr
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 59 Times in 38 Posts

The venerable Nikon D700 was 'only' 12.2 and that was lauded as the best sensor for a loooong time. It's funny, I remember at the time of getting a D700 it truly was amazing and my memories of it are just as that, however if I go back and compare images to the recent 16mp m43 sensor there isn't really anything in it.

Hoorah for progress!
The Following User Liked This Post:
griffljg (1 Week Ago)