Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 11th October 2017

Liked 109 Times in 65 Posts
Re: Wedding Photographer recommendations please

You put the word "wedding" in front of anything and the price goes up. A bit like "camera" in front of bag doubles the cost.
To be honest those are the kind of prices I would expect. A 8am-10pm day shooting with a lot of pressure followed by several days editing and processing.

If you have a look at the forums on talkphotography you'll see that pro wedding photographers charge way over the money you've been quoted. You can get cheaper but then you may be disappointed with the result.
They also seem to suggest that printed images, bar photobooks are not generally required by most couples. If you have the digital images you can make your own rather than rely on the photographer knowing that Auntie Mable is only in one shot.
Social media is how most people consume their photography. You aren't being expected to hand over all that money for a handful of prints stuck in a book and no negatives to get prints of your own for family members.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (11th October 2017)
Old 11th October 2017

Liked 1,042 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
If you have the digital images you can make your own rather than rely on the photographer knowing that Auntie Mable is only in one shot.
Social media is how most people consume their photography. You aren't being expected to hand over all that money for a handful of prints stuck in a book and no negatives to get prints of your own for family members.
What, make your own from a bunch of JPEGs on a memory stick - with luck maybe. How would you close the loop in terms of colour management?

Social media photography is a curse and has done nothing for the benefit of artistic picture making.

on flickr
Old 11th October 2017

Liked 1,263 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Social media photography is a curse and has done nothing for the benefit of artistic picture making.
Social media is a curse and has done nothing to benefit mankind.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ricoh (11th October 2017)
Old 11th October 2017

Liked 109 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
What make your own from a bunch of JPEGs on a memory stick, with luck maybe. How would you close the loop in terms of colour management?

I would expect a competent professional photographer to be able to answer your questions about print colour management.
It's not a subject I've paid much attention to being a very casual printer using Photobox etc for paper and the odd bound book.

Social media and smartphones have allowed more people to take and share more photos than any other development in photography. Some great, some terrible but more people with the ability to make more images and share them with a wider circle. I know lots of people who have had a passion for photography ignited or reignited by carrying a (phone)camera in their pocket which has lead to buying better equipment and starting photography as a hobby - I'm one.

Good luck finding someone.
Old 11th October 2017

I've been on a course dealing with colour management (by Mark Wood - recommend, he knows his stuff) and I know enough to say categorically you will be ******** against the wind trying to get colour managed prints from JPEGs unless you know what the ""professional"" has calibrated in terms of printer, inks and paper.
You know I'm sure, it starts with the camera knowing the images are being recorded to 'accurately' record the scene (I don't think it's good enough to say AWB and I'll fix it in post). Then colour management at the screen, RGB 1998 or sRGB?, and wysiwyg with the printer, paper (and inks, possibly) selected in proofing the output. If you the punter receive a processed set of JPEGs and get them printed somewhere that doesn't use the exact same printer and paper, then God help you if you want 'professional' looking prints!

Edit: The alternative is to record using transperencies, assuming you know how to use and interpret a light meter, then everything will be spot on for daylight. Swap cameras for indoors scenes loaded with film emulsion for artificial light, alternatively use flash. Looking back on things, film was easy.

on flickr
Old 11th October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I think you might like Rob Pugh's work Steve. He even does film if that's what you would prefer.

https://www.rpphotographybydesign.co.uk/

He's quite an Olympus fan and a really nice guy. He's probably not cheap - but hell, how often do you marry off your daughter!!?
My daughter liked Rob Pughs work but unfortunately he has a prior booking for her wedding day.

on flickr
Old 11th October 2017

Quote:
I've been on a course dealing with colour management (by Mark Wood - recommend, he knows his stuff) and I know enough to say categorically you will be ******** against the wind trying to get colour managed prints from JPEGs unless you know what the ""professional"" has calibrated in terms of printer, inks and paper.
You know I'm sure, it starts with the camera knowing the images are being recorded to 'accurately' record the scene (I don't think it's good enough to say AWB and I'll fix it in post). Then colour management at the screen, RGB 1998 or sRGB?, and wysiwyg with the printer, paper (and inks, possibly) selected in proofing the output. If you the punter receive a processed set of JPEGs and get them printed somewhere that doesn't use the exact same printer and paper, then God help you if you want 'professional' looking prints!
Well this is very interesting, especially with regard to wedding photography, as in my experience perfectly colour managed prints are the last thing you will get from a professional lab.

A few years ago I had a number of A3 prints made by a local photographic lab, all of local landscapes for hanging around the house, and one or two for presents. Most were scanned from 120 roll film (Velvia), and a few were from my E1, which dates things a little.

Anyhow, I had provided the lab with full resolution *.jpg files as requested, with the sizes set to my exact requirements in Photoshop. All were correctly colour balanced.

However, when I received the prints they were ghastly, with a sickly pink colour cast, which was especially noticeable in whites and neutral shades. I took them back and asked for them to be reprinted, which they did without argument. It was then explained to me that most of their work was wedding photography, and that the pink colour balance was applied by default because brides liked the warm look that it gave.

(Looking for a throwing up icon.)

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th October 2017

This is why you should close the loop with the photo lab. They provide profiles to be loaded in LR or PS. If you follow the procedure accurately, the images will be quite reasonable. Your experience shows the lab was working off piste (or was it pissed?)

on flickr
Old 11th October 2017

Quote:
This is why you should close the loop with the photo lab. They provide profiles to be loaded in LR or PS. If you follow the procedure accurately, the images will be quite reasonable. Your experience shows the lab was working off piste (or was it pissed?)
I paid for their Professional service, which meant that each image was opened in Photoshop and adjusted as required. (I wasn't offered a profile.)

However, what happened from there was that they printed the images the way they thought everyone liked to see wedding photographs - even though they weren't wedding photographs!

As you will be aware, there is a lot of bull***t in the wedding industry.

On another note, I have lost count of the number of Saturdays that have been ruined in this household by brides who exercise their prerogative to arrive an hour late. Maybe they watch too many soaps?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th October 2017

Try Peak Imaging, but any photo lab worth their whatnots should provide profiles, if asked. If the customer doesn't ask, then they probably conclude (correctly) the customer can't be a****.

on flickr