Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 25th September 2017

Liked 1,050 Times in 641 Posts
Wedding Photographer recommendations please

My daughter is getting married in York (UK) next June and has asked me to help choose a photographer.

When it comes to 'people' photography, especially wedding photography, the photographer needs to be able to capture those expressive moments that reflect the happy day in an artistic manner (and I don't mean making the photos look artistic by the use of PhotoShop). I would study the individuals portfolio looking for consistency, rather than the odd 'lucky' shot.

Any recommendations to follow up?

To watching moderators: I hope posting like this is ok. Perhaps any recommendations would be best by PM - that's if I get any - or is it ok for replies to be posed here?

on flickr
Old 25th September 2017

Liked 1,263 Times in 863 Posts
Re: Wedding Photographer recommendations please

Wedding photography seems to have changed out of all recognition since we were married 25 years ago!

Looking back the 48 photographs (four rolls of 120) were little more than a record of the occasion, but now it is all about artistic expression.

I will send you a PM as I know an Italian lady who is moving to the UK shortly, and I have always been impressed by her wedding photography - even though she uses Nikon.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (25th September 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
sapper (26th September 2017)
Old 25th September 2017

Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,097 Posts
Liked 761 Times in 551 Posts

Find one who lets the guests take shots as well. When some friends of ours got married the official photographer, who was in charge of course, would do his stuff, let guests do their thing, and then say "come on paparazzi" and lead everyone off to the next location around the church. He made taking pictures fun for everybody and consequently everyone enjoyed themselves including the bride and groom. The photographer got paid as per his contract for a set number of prooofs/finals so he was happy as well.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (25th September 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (25th September 2017)
Old 25th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Find one who lets the guests take shots as well. When some friends of ours got married the official photographer, who was in charge of course, would do his stuff, let guests do their thing, and then say "come on paparazzi" and lead everyone off to the next location around the church. He made taking pictures fun for everybody and consequently everyone enjoyed themselves including the bride and groom. The photographer got paid as per his contract for a set number of prooofs/finals so he was happy as well.
Yes; I would second that. I have known some so-called "professionals" to be downright obnoxious if they spot anyone else with a camera - even in cases where they have indicated their willingness to accommodate snappers during the interview.

It was a few years ago now, but one lady photographer threatened to walk off when she spotted me with my Mamiya 645. She was using a low-end Canon (probably in Jpeg mode) so I cannot think what she was worried about.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
KeithL (26th September 2017), Ricoh (25th September 2017)
Old 25th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Where they using disposable cameras, loaded with film?

on flickr
Old 26th September 2017

Liked 121 Times in 80 Posts

It's not the gears. It is the results that counts.

A few years back, a fellow photographer got married and what he did was since he was going to invite us, he opened it into a photographers gathering. So he ended up with 12 photographers. The photo were from all angles and ..in total, over 10k shots
Ricoh (26th September 2017)
Old 26th September 2017

Liked 109 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
My daughter is getting married in York (UK) next June and has asked me to help choose a photographer.

Any recommendations to follow up?

To watching moderators: I hope posting like this is ok. Perhaps any recommendations would be best by PM - that's if I get any - or is it ok for replies to be posed here?
This chap was my lecturer at Uni in the 90's and has since moved into wedding photography. I really like his stuff though I've never got married to employ him myself. Lots of his work on his site and in his blog and his price list.
http://www.misterphill.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (26th September 2017)
Old 26th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
It's not the gears. It is the results that counts.

A few years back, a fellow photographer got married and what he did was since he was going to invite us, he opened it into a photographers gathering. So he ended up with 12 photographers. The photo were from all angles and ..in total, over 10k shots
Yeah, never about gear - I meant giving guests disposable cameras to shoot, used to be the thing years ago. Im not sure any person could meaningfully review and sort out 10k shots or more, the thought alone terrifies me, almost as bad as being asked to paint the forth rail bridge single handed!

on flickr
Old 27th September 2017

Liked 121 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, never about gear - I meant giving guests disposable cameras to shoot, used to be the thing years ago. Im not sure any person could meaningfully review and sort out 10k shots or more, the thought alone terrifies me, almost as bad as being asked to paint the forth rail bridge single handed!
You can specify that the photographer submit a specified number of photographs for reviewing. Since it's all fellow photographers. In my case, the Groom wanted all the shots.
Old 9th October 2017

I think wedding photographers are taking the p€$$. My daughter is being quoted around £1600 and that's without any tangible results, just a USB stick of processed 'snaps'. One is quoting £1995 to include a smallish number of printed copy. With the complexity of colour management a USB stick is almost useless unless the purpose is to plaster them on FB Instagram etc.

Compare the price with a tradesman who typically charge £150 a day, how can a photographer consider his or her time is worth 10x as much? Severe p€$$ taking.

on flickr
Old 9th October 2017

Quote:
I think wedding photographers are taking the p€$$. My daughter is being quoted around £1600 and that's without any tangible results, just a USB stick of processed 'snaps'. One is quoting £1995 to include a smallish number of printed copy. With the complexity of colour management a USB stick is almost useless unless the purpose is to plaster them on FB Instagram etc.

Compare the price with a tradesman who typically charge £150 a day, how can a photographer consider his or her time is worth 10x as much? Severe p€$$ taking.
We were charged £250 twenty five years ago. How many other professionals are paid ten times as much now as in 1992?

I know this is a silly question, but what are you looking for? What is the venue and are you looking for photographs at home and suchlike?

I may have another suggestion for you.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th October 2017

No I'm not comparing costs from twenty years past, what I'm saying is the skill of a wedding photographer, or any other genre for that matter, should be on par with a tradesman, a bricklayer, plasterer, plumber etc. In fact there's less skill taking wedding photographs than there is installing central heating.

The wedding is in York. My daughter is looking for traditional photographs one would expect for a wedding, groupings etc, plus some documentary type from the build up the ceremony, signing the register, the speeches... all the usual stuff in fact. If I wasn't FoB I would do it myself. Can't be hard.

on flickr
Old 9th October 2017

Liked 3,428 Times in 1,162 Posts

I think you might like Rob Pugh's work Steve. He even does film if that's what you would prefer.

https://www.rpphotographybydesign.co.uk/

He's quite an Olympus fan and a really nice guy. He's probably not cheap - but hell, how often do you marry off your daughter!!?
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (9th October 2017)
Old 9th October 2017

Thanks Paul, his work does look good. Sent the link to my daughter, since she and her fiancé are the 'customers' in the sense they need to be happy with the style.

on flickr
Old 9th October 2017

Quote:
No I'm not comparing costs from twenty years past, what I'm saying is the skill of a wedding photographer, or any other genre for that matter, should be on par with a tradesman, a bricklayer, plasterer, plumber etc. In fact there's less skill taking wedding photographs than there is installing central heating.

The wedding is in York. My daughter is looking for traditional photographs one would expect for a wedding, groupings etc, plus some documentary type from the build up the ceremony, signing the register, the speeches... all the usual stuff in fact. If I wasn't FoB I would do it myself. Can't be hard.
I think, to be fair, one has to look at this from the point of view that if done properly, the time taken to photograph a wedding represents just a fraction of the work involved in selecting, processing and (ideally) printing the photographs. Also, unlike a bricklayer or plumber a wedding photographer probably only gets engaged once or twice a week nowadays.

Our son, who is in the final year of his photography degree course tells me they are taught that a professional photographer should not charge less than £450 for a day's work.

That said, for £1,500 I would be expecting rather more than a bunch of Jpegs copied from the camera onto a USB memory stick.

Anyhow, I will send you a PM with another suggestion.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing