Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 78 Times in 57 Posts
Re: Advice on new monitor ?

I own a 24 inch Dell 4k monitor purchased from Scan computers
Here is the link. I love it in every sense and very good value. Here is the link.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-d...dmi-(plusmhl)-

There are some owners reviews including mine. Its only £385, maybe a little more reasonably priced than your market. However there are plenty more on their site to chose from. Have a gander.
Mdb2 (1 Week Ago), Ricoh (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
If you go onto their website you can see a picture of the Portsmouth showroom (follow the link at the bottom of the home page) and scroll the bottom picture through different shots.
OM,
I visited there premises on Monday and was well pleased with their selection, in fact spoilt for choice. They never had any Eizo on show but did have a benq. There were a few ilyama on show which were very good, as pointed out by
DEREKW. What was interesting was a few extra wide screens I believe they were
21/9? I think They tilted as well for portrait mode? I wonder how they are in practice though? My wife commented they have dell equivalents in her office. I doubt if they are of the same as needed for photo editing. But they do operate in twin screen mode. Still looking but donít want to rush into anything.
Has anyone got any thoughts on the the extra wide screens or uses one???
kind regards mike.
OM USer (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Not sure whereabouts you are in Shrophire however another company called Overclockers are based in Newcastle under Lyme. Ive only dealt with them over the internet, looking on their site they seem to have a shop. Could be worth a quick call seeing how big their display is.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/searc...rch=4k+monitor

Have a good selection online if you expand their list.
Mdb2 (1 Week Ago), OM USer (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
Not sure whereabouts you are in Shrophire however another company called Overclockers are based in Newcastle under Lyme. Ive only dealt with them over the internet, looking on their site they seem to have a shop. Could be worth a quick call seeing how big their display is.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/searc...rch=4k+monitor

Have a good selection online if you expand their list.

Thanks Tim boo I am based in Hampshire but I have checked their site I will be going to the Lake District this month waiting for the full autumn colour
timboo (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

You playing games with me changing locations :-)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Thanks Tim boo I am based in Hampshire but I have checked their site I will be going to the Lake District this month waiting for the full autumn colour
If you happen to be on the M61 en route to the lakes, scan computers are next to Bolton football club and have a large shop.
Mdb2 (1 Week Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dell's Ultrasharp monitors are very good for the price
Old 2 Days Ago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

To help choose a good monitor https://thedigitalcamera.net/best-mo...d-photography/
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

I'm no expert but this seems to tick some boxes at a modest price ...

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...91&awid=137991
Old 2 Days Ago

Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,065 Posts
Liked 702 Times in 520 Posts

I've just bought a "BenQ BL2420PT 24 inch QHD Designer Monitor (1440p, 100% sRGB, Rec 709, Height Adjustment, CAD/CAM and Animation Mode, VGA/DVI-DL/DP1.2/HDMI)" from a well known on line retailer for £215. It suits my needs (especially my budget). I am not convinced on the colour accuracy but that wasn't my biggest concern and I don't have any calibration or test equipment anyway.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Old 2 Days Ago

Liked 1,005 Times in 614 Posts

For anyone serious about printing accurately, a colour managed workflow is essential. The camera should record using a reference for white balance instead of AWB, the monitor used for post processing should be calibrated, (many BenQ's quote high percentages of sRGB, of the order of 98%), a spider is quite affordable, and when proofing for print, the printer and paper profiles should be loaded into LR or PS. Break the links and it becomes guesswork.

Whilst on the subject of a colour managed workflow, why limit the camera to sRGB when RGB1998 is available. These are your digital negatives and the purpose should be to record as much as possible.

on flickr
Old 2 Days Ago

Liked 473 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Whilst on the subject of a colour managed workflow, why limit the camera to sRGB when RGB1998 is available. These are your digital negatives and the purpose should be to record as much as possible.
My understanding is that if you shoot raw it makes no difference. The difference comes with the way the camera makes JPEG files. There may be advantages to using sRGB for them, for example if you want to upload straight to the web - files in a larger colour space can look very flat when rendered in a browser.

John
Old 1 Day Ago

Thanks for the inputs, please keep them coming. I will take onboard all comments, I will most likely make a descision in the new year just to see what Apple have come up with in respects of the computer side of things, one things for for sure it ainít gonna be cheap!
Kind regards mike
Old 1 Day Ago

Liked 1,005 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
I've just bought a "BenQ BL2420PT 24 inch QHD Designer Monitor (1440p, 100% sRGB, Rec 709, Height Adjustment, CAD/CAM and Animation Mode, VGA/DVI-DL/DP1.2/HDMI)" from a well known on line retailer for £215. It suits my needs (especially my budget). I am not convinced on the colour accuracy but that wasn't my biggest concern and I don't have any calibration or test equipment anyway.
Customer reviews on a 'well known on-line retailer' mention light bleed at the bottom, dead pixels and the display doing some random things like flickering (sorted out like the TVs of old, ie a good slap). Have you been luckier with your copy?

on flickr
Old 1 Day Ago

Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,065 Posts
Liked 702 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Customer reviews on a 'well known on-line retailer' mention light bleed at the bottom, dead pixels and the display doing some random things like flickering (sorted out like the TVs of old, ie a good slap). Have you been luckier with your copy?
Not had it long but it seems ok (cross fingers). It replaced a 1920x1080 Samsung P2270 HD TV Monitor which died after 8 or 9 years of hard use with the loss of the backlight, most likely from a capacitor failure on the power supply board. As there was no obvious culprit it would have meant removing and replacing all of them in turn with no guarantee that it would work at the end anyway. I did think of getting an identical replacement second hand one as I found the monitor crisp and sharp and it had plenty of connections. However I took the opportunity to upgrade from Full HD to QHD. I did think of going to 4K but it would have been more expensive and on a smallish size monitor (I didn't want bigger than 24 inches) I may not have noticed the difference as the pixel size would be beyond my resolving power (and all text and icons would have been very small).

Update: prompted by a comment from Ian on another thread I should add that a 22" full hd monitor is 100ppi whilst my a 24" QHD monitor comes in at 125 ppi. A 4k 24" monitor would be 190ppi.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror