Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Closed Thread

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 486 Times in 277 Posts
Re: Quick reminder: The Lounge is for non-photography topics!

The debates, arguments, suggestions as to the forum format have been going on since I first joined 7 years ago. There seems to be always somebody who wants change or is trying to re-design a system that works quite well. Some seem to join forums for that reason only ! Of course things always evolve with time and no doubt the administration of the forum appreciate genuine constructive suggestions.

What IS very annoying IMHO are the "Wheel Re-Inventors" who constantly moan, whinge or complain about the existing format and try to change the status quo.

What people don't seem to appreciate is that this forum is a PRIVATE COMMERCIAL VENTURE owned, designed and managed by Ian Burley with the assistance of appointed Admins., it is NOT a club with a management committee made up from the membership.

If Ian states he would prefer photography topics not to be posted in the Lounge, why do some find that so hard to understand? If you can't follow and abide by this simple directive don't try and re-design this forum, just find another forum more suitable for your needs and let this excellent forum remain as it is until Ian decides otherwise.

And NO this isn't an attempt on my part to curry favour with Ian. We have had more squabbles and dis-agreements than most on here and no doubt will continue to do so. It's simply me venting steam and getting annoyed about people who never seem satisfied or who don't appreciate this is the best forum on the Internet and constantly want changes for the sake of it. The age old saying: "IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE HEAT, GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN" springs to mind when Wheel Re-inventors begin to whinge.

Rant over (for now !)

John
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 299 Times in 149 Posts

Methinks it is intrinsic to humankind to constantly think of changes/improvements to everything they encounter. Were this not so, we would all still be living in caves and covering their walls with pictures of Mammoths
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,186 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Methinks it is intrinsic to humankind to constantly think of changes/improvements to everything they encounter. Were this not so, we would all still be living in caves and covering their walls with pictures of Mammoths
That is perfectly true.

Whilst I suspect that running a forum is probably a thankless task, it would be even less rewarding if you felt you were administering a black hole, with no user feedback whatsoever.

Maybe John was overdue for his afternoon nap?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
That is perfectly true.

Whilst I suspect that running a forum is probably a thankless task, it would be even less rewarding if you felt you were administering a black hole, with no user feedback whatsoever.

Maybe John was overdue for his afternoon nap?
Maybe you and Gwyver need a visit to Specsavers ? I did state:
Quote:
Of course things always evolve with time and no doubt the administration of the forum appreciate genuine constructive suggestions.
Nap ? in the afternoon ? You can't be serious !

Nuff said

John
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 299 Times in 149 Posts

Having tried and failed to make my point in a light-hearted way I will repeat it more forthrightly:
Quote:
What people don't seem to appreciate is that this forum is a PRIVATE COMMERCIAL VENTURE owned, designed and managed by Ian Burley with the assistance of appointed Admins., it is NOT a club with a management committee made up from the membership.

If Ian states he would prefer photography topics not to be posted in the Lounge, why do some find that so hard to understand? If you can't follow and abide by this simple directive don't try and re-design this forum, just find another forum more suitable for your needs and let this excellent forum remain as it is until Ian decides otherwise.
Quote:
Maybe you and Gwyver need a visit to Specsavers ? I did state:
Quote:
Of course things always evolve with time and no doubt the administration of the forum appreciate genuine constructive suggestions.
John,
Like most of the forum members, I appreciate what it is and is not.
Unless you have become a moderator for the forum it is inappropriate to tell other members how to use it. It is precisely the absence of such posts which positively distinguishes this forum.
From a personal perspective I would prefer that you desist from ranting when other forum members post suggestions for changes to the operation/usability of this site -and the citation above is not the only example. I am sure that Ian & the moderators are perfectly capable of deciding which of such ideas are "genuine constructive suggestions" they wish to incorporate.

Creating, hopefully unintentionally, the impression that members' ideas are deprecated, will make users unwilling to express their views on how the forum could evolve.
Having been a regular user of this excellent forum for nearly a decade (though a member for slightly less) I would be really dismayed if it became less friendly or amenable to change and progress.
Thank you.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (1 Week Ago), Naughty Nigel (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts

Two related but different problems I think and it's a lot more difficult to "Police" the in-thread "Banter" or "Off-Topic" issues than the Thread Posted In Wrong Area one unfortunately.

And I can be very guilty of the former (though hopefully not so far on this Board)

Jim
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:

John,
Unless you have become a moderator for the forum it is inappropriate to tell other members how to use it.
Thank you Chris. My sentiments entirely.

The recent rants on this thread and others are totally unnecessary and do nothing to promote harmony.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Gwyver (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Having tried and failed to make my point in a light-hearted way I will repeat it more forthrightly:

John,
Unless you have become a moderator for the forum it is inappropriate to tell other members how to use it. It is precisely the absence of such posts which positively distinguishes this forum.
From a personal perspective I would prefer that you desist from ranting when other forum members post suggestions for changes to the operation/usability of this site -and the citation above is not the only example. I am sure that Ian & the moderators are perfectly capable of deciding which of such ideas are "genuine constructive suggestions" they wish to incorporate.

Creating, hopefully unintentionally, the impression that members' ideas are deprecated, will make users unwilling to express their views on how the forum could evolve.
Having been a regular user of this excellent forum for nearly a decade (though a member for slightly less) I would be really dismayed if it became less friendly or amenable to change and progress.
Thank you.
You are of course entitled to your opinion, as is Nigel. The fact that they differ radically from mine and always will is of no consequence. My comments were not directed to anyone specifically. As a forum member I am also entitled to express an opinion and have done so in this post and possibly others you are referring to.

Kindest regards,

John
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
You are of course entitled to your opinion, as is Nigel. The fact that they differ radically from mine and always will is of no consequence. My comments were not directed to anyone specifically. As a forum member I am also entitled to express an opinion and have done so in this post and possibly others you are referring to.

Kindest regards,

John
But John, there is a big difference between expressing an opinion and issuing orders to other members. That is what I was objecting to.

I would submit that your comment (I quote) "IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE HEAT, GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN" can only be construed as a direct instruction to those who disagree with you to leave the forum, and I for one find that unacceptable.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Gwyver (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
But John, there is a big difference between expressing an opinion and issuing orders to other members. That is what I was objecting to.

I would submit that your comment (I quote) "IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE HEAT, GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN" can only be construed as a direct instruction to those who disagree with you to leave the forum, and I for one find that unacceptable.
There was no suggestion in my comment that anyone who disagreed with me should leave the forum Nigel ! The point I was making is that if some individual is so unhappy with the design and the way the forum is operated, instead of attempting to re-invent it to suit their own personal preferences perhaps it was better if they found somewhere more suitable to their needs.

Anyway, I have made my point and expressed my opinions. If we continue, no doubt the thread will be deleted or closed so I suggest we say no more.

Regards,

John
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,047 Posts
Liked 977 Times in 472 Posts

I am quite amazed that there is so much reaction to what was meant to be a helpful, useful and routine bit of advice. How it started to get tetchy is really beyond me.

I don't like closing threads but as this seems to be developing negatively, I think on balance it's best to do so.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Johnheatingman (1 Week Ago), Naughty Nigel (1 Week Ago), Otto (1 Week Ago)
Closed Thread