Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 13th January 2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Olympus lens + MMF1 + EC-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I had that combination and it could produce great results, but I used S-AF+MF and peaking, for mainly considered compositions, not fast moving subjects (e.g. sports). The lens didn't autofocus as quickly or accurately as I'd have liked, but the image quality was so good I purchased a used E-M1, on which it does focus better and which also has a feature for adjusting the focus for a particular lens. Also the bigger grip on the E-M1 helps handling that rather long and heavy lens combination.

If you want long focal length with less weight and faster / more accurate focussing on the E-M5 II, and mainly use it outdoors in good light, then the 75-300 is a good lens, and comparatively tiny and light, though not as superlative as the 50-200. There's also a Panasonic 100-300 but I have no experience of it.

Thank you very much, I was contemplating using it mainly for considered compositions.
The reason I didn't consider the 75-300 was because of reports that when at its maximum extension the sharpness tended to change to a more soft result
Old 14th January 2018

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El CID View Post
Am I right to assume that autofocus is slow in S-AF and C-AF modes but okay in S-AF+ M mode is okay
No reason S-AF+M would be different than the other modes.
Old 14th January 2018

Liked 88 Times in 62 Posts

The reason I mentioned S-AF + M is that I sometimes use the manual with focus peaking to make fine adjustments.
Old 14th January 2018

Liked 587 Times in 402 Posts

Just one small point to add - the MMF-1 converter won't have any effect at all on image quality. It is just a tube with no glass elements in it - a 4/3 mount on the lens end, a micro-4/3 mount on the body end, electrical contacts from one to the other, and the correct length for the difference in registration distance. Same with all the other 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapters.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
El CID (14th January 2018)
Old 14th January 2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
The reason I mentioned S-AF + M is that I sometimes use the manual with focus peaking to make fine adjustments.
Many thanks, I hadn't thought of that
Old 14th January 2018

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Just one small point to add - the MMF-1 converter won't have any effect at all on image quality. It is just a tube with no glass elements in it - a 4/3 mount on the lens end, a micro-4/3 mount on the body end, electrical contacts from one to the other, and the correct length for the difference in registration distance. Same with all the other 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapters.

John
Many thanks John, I had difficulty finding An MMF-1 they must be in short supply.
Managed to get an MMF-3

Reg
Old 14th January 2018

Liked 587 Times in 402 Posts

MMF-3 is a better bet anyway as it includes weathersealing.

John
Old 15th January 2018

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

I still have the 50-200 Mk I which I rarely use now, as the 75-300 Mk II is pretty good, and a lot lighter and smaller. I tend to back it off 300 to 285ish max,and stop it down a notch where possible. Some recent shots starting here on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/24345955747/

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (15th January 2018)