Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 17th June 2011
charty

Extension tubes

I'm interested in purchasing some cheap extention tubes to develop my macro work, can some give me some advice on which lens I use them with? I have a 35mm macro, a 70-300mm zoom and a 40-150mm.
Thanks for your help
Caroline
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 154 Times in 67 Posts
Re: Extension tubes

I have similar lenses to you and have some cheap extension tubes. I have been palying around with them on a legacy 50mm OM lens (with an adapter) and they wrok well. But just like the 35mm macro - need to concentrate on DOF.

Haven't tried it on my 14-45mm - but will now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barkly For This Useful Post:
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

When my first E-system camera was still in the pipeline I had already ordered cheap extension tubes from fleebay. It was pointless however, as they are of no use with Oly-fly-by-wire lenses. None of the lenses you mentioned above will work, as they need power from the body to focus.

Like Barkly did, I tried the tubes with my legacy Pentax SMC 50/1.7, but the results were useless.

I don't own one, but I think the Ex-25 would be the far better way for you go!?
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts

Caroline

I have the cheapo tubes

I'm not quite sure how you could use them with digital lenses
As the others have said they work great with legacy lenses

You are welcome to borrow mine (tubes & lenses) if you want to try them out.
Old 17th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,170 Posts
Liked 1,351 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
When my first E-system camera was still in the pipeline I had already ordered cheap extension tubes from fleebay. It was pointless however, as they are of no use with Oly-fly-by-wire lenses. None of the lenses you mentioned above will work, as they need power from the body to focus.

Like Barkly did, I tried the tubes with my legacy Pentax SMC 50/1.7, but the results were useless.

I don't own one, but I think the Ex-25 would be the far better way for you go!?
The EX-25 is nice, but its level of extension is not super great. A cheap set of tubes can give you a lot of extension for little cash. But the big problem is that you can't control the aperture on Four Thirds lenses with manual tubes. So for manual extension tubes I would recommend a manual legacy lens. I'm not an expert on these so hopefully someone else here can recommend a solution. I've heard that a 50mm f/1.8 OM Zuiko on tubes and even reversed can be very effective for macro work.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 306 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charty View Post
I'm interested in purchasing some cheap extention tubes to develop my macro work, can some give me some advice on which lens I use them with? I have a 35mm macro, a 70-300mm zoom and a 40-150mm.
Thanks for your help
Caroline
I have a 50mm f1.8 OM Zuiko plus adapter plus Vivitar extension tubes for sale if you are interested.

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 18th June 2011

Thanked 1,182 Times in 1,099 Posts
Liked 1,478 Times in 768 Posts

Caroline you have some interesting offers here. I have a 50mm f1.8 I got cheap off ebay about a year ago and it was a real bargain it's a nice lens to play with and so well built. They seem to have gone up in price a bit since then. I got it to try reversing it for macro as a cheap way to do macro without buying a macro lens as Ian suggested above. I got a reversing ring for 2.99 again off ebay with free postage! Although I've not done too many experiments as time has been limited so far I have had some fun playing and keep meaning to try some more. I found the best arrangement for me was to use the 40-150 lens on the camera and screw the 50mm reversed on the end of that using the reversing ring. Sounds a bit strange I know but it means that you can use all the auto exposure functions etc of the digital lens and if you are lucky with distances it will also auto focus sometimes. Moving the camera in and out manually is probably the best focus method though. Anyway it does give some interesting ways to get macro shots but DoF is very shallow and vignetting is often severe. I've since bought an EX25 to try out on my 70-300 and a 35mm macro itself to try. I'm told the Ex25 and the 35mm macro wont work together although I haven't tried yet. I didn't go for the cheap extension tube option at the time as many people on forums had complained of the lack of electronic connections and manual operation. In hindsite I'll probably give them a go one day as the EX25 is limited to one length but for now I've got lots of possibilities to explore with what I've got and not enough free time to do it Whatever way you choose to go you will have fun, I guarantee it, and for not much cost. I'll post a few of the better shots I got from reversing the 50mm in a separate thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post: