Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 1st January 2019

Thanked 1,235 Times in 925 Posts
Liked 5,899 Times in 1,912 Posts
Sage words from Ming Thein

I've read some of Ming's stuff before and I like his no-nonsense style. This piece of his has some excellent points in it:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/12/2...hy/#more-17549
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Bikie John (2nd January 2019), OM USer (4th January 2019)
Old 2nd January 2019

Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 2,208 Times in 1,056 Posts
Re: Safe words from Ming Thein

That was a good read Paul, thanks for the link.
Old 2nd January 2019

Liked 708 Times in 475 Posts

Thanks Paul, really interesting. following the links to some of his other pages just put paid to half an hour!

John
Old 2nd January 2019

Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 2,208 Times in 1,056 Posts

Yep John I did that too
Old 2nd January 2019

Liked 329 Times in 106 Posts

Good read. Particularly struck by his comments on equipment and how important it is to enjoy using your gear. That might explain why I tend to use my Pen F a little more than my EM1 2 (GREAT THOUGH IT IS) For some reason the F just feels right for me and I get great enjoyment using it. A real `feel good` camera.

Tim
Old 2nd January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 090657 View Post
Good read. Particularly struck by his comments on equipment and how important it is to enjoy using your gear. That might explain why I tend to use my Pen F a little more than my EM1 2 (GREAT THOUGH IT IS) For some reason the F just feels right for me and I get great enjoyment using it. A real `feel good` camera.

Tim
I feel much the same. The Pen-F is an example of a camera that exceeds the sum of its parts. In truth it's a 20Mp sensor in an E-M5ii with a worse viewfinder and no weather sealing. And yet, it somehow manages to work.

Having said that, I took the E-M1ii with me to France over Christmas and it definitely has some tricks up its sleeve. I much prefer the larger viewfinder for starters and the improved electronic shutter. I also found that the defishing of the 8mm lens works very well. I couldn't get as good an end result from processing the raw in LR as the JPG from the camera.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (3rd January 2019)
Old 2nd January 2019

One of Ming's linked articles about travel in interesting. This in particular I thought was a very apt observation and analysis:

Quote:
Somewhere along the way, the purpose of travel has shifted from being ‘to experience’ to ‘to show off’. In the pre-camera days, there were no remnants apart from memory: this meant that the traveller had to fully commit and be mentally present in order to get the most out of the journey (which in turn was often a lot more effort than it is today). Arguably, you got more out of the experience then because the level of commitment was much higher. Now, travel is easy, cheap, and social media pressure demands that every moment of every day is documented to the point that there’s more time spent documenting or going to documentable places than actually figuring out where to find the best experience, or experiencing it. The majority of the traveling population experiences the world from behind a phone, or a camera. At least with a camera you’re somewhat forced to focus and observe through the finder or LCD. Not great, but better than disposable visual noise.
This is really just so true. The Chinese seem to be particularly fond of going to "documentable" places and duly documenting it with selfies. I was reminded of this again when I went to Bruges on New Year's Eve. I arrived early - before 8am and it was still dark. The streets were deserted. Around 9am there was a smattering of locals and then as 10am loomed, the tourists started arriving.

I saw one group of Chinese tourists emerge from their hotel at about this time. With their tour guide leading the way, they swept along one of the main canals, snapping away with phones on selfie sticks but almost oblivious to the place itself. One was using a GoPro to video the whole thing (probably in 4k!). Getting a shot with themselves smiling (usually with one hand making a V-sign and held to their face) and with the Sint-Salvatorskathedraal (or whatever) in the background was the main objective - then move on to the next sight and repeat. I guess the goal is to show off to friends back home all the places they've visited.

Of course, my own motives for being there were much purer
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bruce Clarke (3rd January 2019), wornish (2nd January 2019)
Old 2nd January 2019

Liked 1,414 Times in 693 Posts

Its not just the Chinese that do it.
We have just spent a few days visiting our son and his wife in New York. We went to the New York Botanical Gardens who had a model railway exhibition open. The place was full of families with youngsters with their phones taking selfies in front of the models buildings. I don't think they stood still and actually looked at the scene at all they just turned their backs to it and took a selfie. One 7 - 8 year old had his phone and was just walking along taking pictures at the rate of about 1 per second for the whole period I was watching. Must have taken 50 shots of I don't know what.

I was certainly in the minority having a real camera. I think I saw one other adult with a Canon and over 200 people using mobile phones.

The world has certainly changed.

My Flickr
Old 9th January 2019

Liked 3,697 Times in 1,381 Posts

I think it is confusing to conflate photography and the ability to take a photo.
Things have moved on so quickly and we now have equipment the can rival the output of DSLR types in a phone given the right conditions.
It is the monkeys typing Shakespeare, so many shots there are bound to be some...

Do I examine my inner Erwitt before picking up the camera? No. Would it improve my output? Maybe.

Would Ming earn more money from writing a blog or taking a photo?

Still, I do read his stuff from time to time...