Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 25th September 2008

Liked 58 Times in 25 Posts
Isle of Man Dawn

Going to the Manx GP this year, I crossed to the Isle of Man overnight arriving at Douglas with the daylight. I was nearly out of petrol and no garages were open that early so I had to hang around for a bit. Luckily the camera was not too deeply buried in the luggage so I was able to take these shots of a rather nice sunrise. Unfortunately, the much-photographed fort in the bay was covered in scaffolding

All with the E-3 and 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 (the other lenses really were buried ), Olympus Master for slight levels, contrast and sharpening, first shot cropped top and bottom.

I hope you enjoy them

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 25th September 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,977 Times in 2,313 Posts
Liked 3,908 Times in 1,845 Posts
Re: Isle of Man Dawn

Hi John,

The two pictures of the fort are pleasant but nothing special.

However, number 3 is an entirely different kettle of mackerel! Dynamic, well thought out composition, divine lighting, harmony between the clouds and the curve of the building, plus the impact of the red flags make this an inspired photograph. Send it to the Douglas/Isle of Man Tourist Board, it's certainly good enough!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th September 2008
ndl0071

I agree with John, No3 is the one, just look at that side lighting, let us know how you get on with the tourist board.
Old 26th September 2008

Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts

Hi John

No 3 ticks all the boxes, a most pleasing image.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 26th September 2008

Thank you all for your kind comments

Since you have been so encouraging, I really must pluck up my courage and approach the IoM Tourist Board. Never having tried to place a picture before, I'm not sure how to go about it but I expect I'll muddle through somehow

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 26th September 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,977 Times in 2,313 Posts
Liked 3,908 Times in 1,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGG View Post
Thank you all for your kind comments

Since you have been so encouraging, I really must pluck up my courage and approach the IoM Tourist Board. Never having tried to place a picture before, I'm not sure how to go about it but I expect I'll muddle through somehow

Cheers,

JohnGG
Either email the image, or send a print by post, with a covering note introducing yourself and making a statement along the lines of, "I enclose a picture of Douglas sea front taken in early morning light, which I feel may be of interest to you for your publicity material. A high resolution digital file is available upon request and I am happy to accept payment upon publication at your normal rates. I would be interested to learn what other picture requirements you have for the near future and I look forward to hearing from you."

You can, of course, tailor the wording to what you feel comfortable with but the essential points to cover are:-

1) Why you are sending the picture.

2) You can readily provide a high resolution file.

3) You expect payment if they use your picture!

4) You are willing and able to supply other pictures and will endeavor to satisfy particular requirements.

5) You expect a reply. (if submitting by post, enclose a SAE with the correct postage.)

Good luck! (You've got nothing to lose, so give it a go!)

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Either email the image, or send a print by post, with a covering note introducing yourself and making a statement along the lines of, "I enclose a picture of Douglas sea front taken in early morning light, which I feel may be of interest to you for your publicity material. A high resolution digital file is available upon request and I am happy to accept payment upon publication at your normal rates. I would be interested to learn what other picture requirements you have for the near future and I look forward to hearing from you."

You can, of course, tailor the wording to what you feel comfortable with but the essential points to cover are:-

1) Why you are sending the picture.

2) You can readily provide a high resolution file.

3) You expect payment if they use your picture!

4) You are willing and able to supply other pictures and will endeavor to satisfy particular requirements.

5) You expect a reply. (if submitting by post, enclose a SAE with the correct postage.)

Good luck! (You've got nothing to lose, so give it a go!)

John
John,

Many thanks for that helpful advice

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 27th September 2008

Liked 1,631 Times in 1,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
All good advice.

However, one minor point: the Isle of Man has it's own postage stamps, and stamps from 'across' are not valid, so save yourself 36 pence!

PS: Whilst on the subject, I have posted one of my favourites from the Island, taken beside the Calf Sound. Some of you will have seen this before, but I never tire of it.

For me, 'The Island' is one of the best places in the UK for rugged coastline. The west coast of Ireland may be better, but it is much further to travel.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Last edited by Naughty Nigel; 27th September 2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added Photo
Old 30th September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow JohnGG the picture of the harbour really is worth publishing, I hope you get a good result from contacting the Tourist Office.

The rugged scenery in your picture is lovely too Nigel It shows what a fabulous place it would be to go for a walk