Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL1

Olympus Pen E-PL1 The, even smaller, more affordable and easier to use Pen from Olympus.

Old 1st June 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Olympus E-PL1 AUTO default ISO

The Olympus E-PL1 AUTO Iso default setting is 200 ISO as a base. Some say that this gives better dynamic range. I took my new E-PL1 for a vacation and compared this setting to ISO 100 in daylight situations. I could not see any difference between the 2 settings in dynamic range, but I can clearly see that the ISO 200 images have much more noise compared to ISO 100! My choice, under normal daylight conditions, is clearly ISO 100!There is a big difference between the 2 settings. All images were taken in RAW and processed in ACR.
Any comments?
Old 1st June 2012

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Olympus E-PL1 AUTO default ISO

I agree that noise levels with the EPL-1 at ISO 200 are higher than at ISO 100 in shadow areas. I noticed the same thing with my E600, although I tend to use only the JPEG setting. My choice is also ISO 100 as base level for this reason. One thing to consider when using RAW is that no noise reduction is applied in camera so images will appear noisier anyway before processing.
Old 2nd June 2012

Liked 153 Times in 107 Posts
Re: Olympus E-PL1 AUTO default ISO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyzmbow View Post
The Olympus E-PL1 AUTO Iso default setting is 200 ISO as a base. Some say that this gives better dynamic range. I took my new E-PL1 for a vacation and compared this setting to ISO 100 in daylight situations. I could not see any difference between the 2 settings in dynamic range, but I can clearly see that the ISO 200 images have much more noise compared to ISO 100...
Yes, wierdly even though ISO100 is a 'false' ISO created from an ISO200 RAW file.

If you use Jpegs and if you want more highlight and shadow information you can simply choose Bracket ISO +-1EV (set ISO to 200 not auto or 100 for this) and each single photo you take will give you your normal Jpeg plus a lighter and darker Jpeg containing what was the brighter and darker information in the RAW file which was clipped off and discarded for the normal Jpeg.
It is easdier to try it than to think about it.