Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL1

Olympus Pen E-PL1 The, even smaller, more affordable and easier to use Pen from Olympus.

Old 23rd August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-PL1 and 4/3 lens use

E-PL1 has arrived with its m43 14-42 lens and looks to be very similar to the XZ-1 in menus and usage.

With the appropriate adapter, I understand the standard 4/3 40-150 MkII lens will work on the E-PL1?

I'm looking at a 'RJ Camera' adapter marketed by 'jinfinance' on ebay. Has anyone experience of these? They're allegedly very good, and of course much cheaper.

Thanks for any help!

--------------------------
Old 23rd August 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: E-PL1 and 4/3 lens use

There are a few sellers on e-bay offerring 4/3 - m4/3'rds adapters, they are useless unless you have a fully manual 4/3'rds lens (say a samyang or a legacy lens which already has a 4/3'rds adapter).

The problem is all Olympus 4/3'rds lenses need electrical contacts to focus (even in m/f for most) and to control the aperture.

Can't see the jinfinance listing for a 4/3'rd to m4/3'rd but unless it replicates the chip and contact mapping it's a no-no.

The 40-150 plus an olympus adapter works well on a Pen.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 23rd August 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,118 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

RJ adaptors are very good, but they don't make one which has the electrical connectors for 4/3 to m4/3. As far as I know, there are no 3rd party adaptors marketed which fully replicate the genuine ones.

I may have a MMF1 or MMF2 for sale, if you're interested? PM me.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Yes, it would have to have the electrical contacts etc, so I'll give that one a miss.

--------------------------
Old 29th October 2011
biggerbr

I have just bought one of the Viltrox JY-43F 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapters off EBay. It arrived this afternoon so I have only tried it briefly but it looks good so far. It seems to have all the features of the MMF-1 and the focusing definitely works. It also seems well made and is metal bodied.
Old 29th October 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerbr View Post
I have just bought one of the Viltrox JY-43F 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapters off EBay. It arrived this afternoon so I have only tried it briefly but it looks good so far. It seems to have all the features of the MMF-1 and the focusing definitely works. It also seems well made and is metal bodied.
Seems an interesting bit of kit, though at 50 not cheap (though cheaper than than the mmf-2).

I wonder if there will be a reaction from Olympus/Panasonic, as the camera is aware that it is driving the lens through an adapter in the firmware code.

Let us know how you get on.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 29th October 2011

Liked 153 Times in 107 Posts

Brian I'm sure a lot of users would be most interested in pics and tales of how your adapter operates ... keep us updated please.
this seems to be the first non-original working-AF adapter!
Old 29th October 2011
biggerbr

I've only had chance to play with it for a few minutes as I'm on nights and I get frowned at if I 'play' instead of going to bed (something to do with getting grumpy) but so far it looks very good. Next week I will give it a good going over and try and post some photos. As I say I'm quite impressed so far, I actually took a shot of one of the grandson's lego figures using the long end of my 40-150 ex E-1 lens and it's sharp and properly exposed, which is a good start.

Mind you, it looks very odd having a small camera with a big lens on it. I've put a picture of it in my gallery.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 22nd March 2012
d___y___

Thanks for the above post, giving me a bit more confidence in the adapter. is there any chance of an update to this? I'd love to know about the performance of the adapter. I've also heard there was a software update for the 4/3 lenses, did this make an improvement in using the 4/3 lenses on m4/3 bodies? any details would be helpful to this newbie
Old 3rd December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Robusto

are these as good as the MMF 2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Four-Third...item3a7b4c0b5e

for half the price

Martyn
Olympus E30, HLD4 Grip E520 E300 HLD3 Grip, Pen E-PL1 Zuiko m14-42mm
Zuiko OM 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8 , 80-200mm
ZD 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-54mm, 40-150mm ,50-200mm , 70-300mm, 35mm Macro , EX-25
Sigma 50-500mm To be Obtained