Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 8th February 2008
Scapula Memory

Re: Firmware Version 1.50 released

I have to say it does seem like a lot of trouble to go to even though my personal experience of updating has been hassle free. How do other manafacturers do it? I hear Nikon for example is a download to your memory card or PC and then you update from there in your own time thus removing the need for a "live" link ( what if your ISP conks out mid update during the Oly way as some claim they have been left with dead cameras )

Anyone else have experience of other manafacturers?

John.
Old 8th February 2008
ndl0071

Hi All

Many thanks for all of your help with this troublesome update, I have now managed to load viewer and driver onto one of my XP machines.

I am now at 1.5 apparantly this means I can now take pictures in Japanese.......Marvelous, if I pick up any useful phrases I will let you all know

I echo some of your thoughts in so much as I am really not sure why Olympus make this procedure such an obsticle course, but then I am really not a techy so I am only looking at this from an end user perspective. I really do not know how these awkward procedures compare with the rivals, Perhaps we are all supposed to buy new kit

I was lucky enough to buy this E1 from e bay a week or so ago, it was in mint condition with only about 1300 shutter actuations I think it's lack of use was why it was still on 1.1.

Right, well it looks like a clear night tonight in this part of the country which means an early start to catch the good light.

Once again I appreciate all the help beating this update puzzle

Cheers
Neil
Old 8th February 2008
Scapula Memory

Glad to read you have solved this. Look forward to seeing some E1 pics soon. It is a very capable camera and a joy to use.

good luck
Old 11th February 2008

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Guess one reason for Oly to do it the way they do is that it makes sure the correct download is done, as every thing including the extension tube has a chip and can be modded

Just my thought

Dave
Old 11th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Makes me sweat every time, however. My broadband connection has a nasty and unpredictable habit of dropping out for (usually) short periods once or twice a day. Never been able to find any pattern to it. I guess that's one of the drawbacks of living out in the sticks...

I presume if that happened mid-update, I'd have an expensive paperweight until I sent it back to Olympus.
Old 11th February 2008
Scapula Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
Makes me sweat every time, however. My broadband connection has a nasty and unpredictable habit of dropping out for (usually) short periods once or twice a day. Never been able to find any pattern to it. I guess that's one of the drawbacks of living out in the sticks...

I presume if that happened mid-update, I'd have an expensive paperweight until I sent it back to Olympus.
Hugh,

I do not live in the sticks but also have the broadband problem you have. It is infuriating because I also cannot see a pattern for this. My ISP were not a great help with it either so it is just something I guess I have to live with. Just wondering if Oly would take responsibility here? Even if they do there might still be postage costs and the agro of not having a camera.
Old 5th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
I have finally managed to get my E1 updated! It needed a Windows XP SP2 driver download from here: http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/21...-download.html

(PC needed a restart to get it working)

plus Olympus Viewer (updated to the latest version).

After that, the camera was recognised by the software, and following the instructions produced a hassle free update (eventually!). At least if Oly issue any more firmware updates, I should be able to take advantage of them now - but what a palaver!
Hi Hugh, this seems it might be an answer to my problem too, but I tried your link and can't see where or what to download; no Olympus mentioned despite other makes being there. Give us a clue Oh for a hassle free update!
Old 5th December 2008

Liked 2,240 Times in 1,481 Posts

Most other camera manufacturers load their updates via the flash card.

However, I have to say that in my experience, the other manufacturers don't seem to publish anywhere near the number of updates that Olympus does. Indeed, having owned several of Canon's G series cameras, (G3, G5, G6 and now G9), I have never updated any of them!

The benefit of the Olympus system is that it makes it easy to make sure the correct firmware update is installed. It also makes it easy to check and update the firmware in lenses, flashguns and other accessories. (How would you do that via a flash card?)

As far as I know, Metz is one of the few other companies to offer updating via a USB cable.

Finally, the firmware is NOT updated directly via the internet: the file is downloaded and checked first beofre it is installed in your camera, so even if A-O-Hell goes down half way through an update it should't make any difference.

PS: Pete - are you sure your camera is not being blocked by an antivirus firewall? It wouldn't be the first time this has happened. It might be worth disabling your protection for five minutes to try it.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th December 2008

Liked 2,240 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePassword View Post
Hi Hugh, this seems it might be an answer to my problem too, but I tried your link and can't see where or what to download; no Olympus mentioned despite other makes being there. Give us a clue Oh for a hassle free update!
Windows XP is now into SP3. If you enable automatic updates it will find them for you. Just make sure you don't download updates for prorammes you don't have. (i.e. I am using Office 2003, but it occasionally wants to dowload updates for Office 2007 ).

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Most other camera manufacturers load their updates via the flash card.

However, I have to say that in my experience, the other manufacturers don't seem to publish anywhere near the number of updates that Olympus does. Indeed, having owned several of Canon's G series cameras, (G3, G5, G6 and now G9), I have never updated any of them!

The benefit of the Olympus system is that it makes it easy to make sure the correct firmware update is installed. It also makes it easy to check and update the firmware in lenses, flashguns and other accessories. (How would you do that via a flash card?)

As far as I know, Metz is one of the few other companies to offer updating via a USB cable.

Finally, the firmware is NOT updated directly via the internet: the file is downloaded and checked first beofre it is installed in your camera, so even if A-O-Hell goes down half way through an update it should't make any difference.

PS: Pete - are you sure your camera is not being blocked by an antivirus firewall? It wouldn't be the first time this has happened. It might be worth disabling your protection for five minutes to try it.
I'll try that, but I'm not optimistic [I usually am!] I'll try anything in fact.
Old 10th October 2011
Ausdrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapula Memory View Post
Yes Neil and you definately should as 1.4 gave some very big improvements, however you may need to get an XP SP2 driver update. Check your system if you need it.
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...load/software/tmartcouponcode

The link has all the drivers and updates you need. failing this if you ever pass by in Berks let me know and you can use my computer to do this.

John
Yeah, it's so great.
Old 10th October 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,404 Times in 2,089 Posts

My word! We're really unearthing some ancient posts today!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 10th October 2011

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
My word! We're really unearthing some ancient posts today!
If it looks like a Troll, talks like a Troll and lives under a bridge...

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 11th October 2011

Liked 872 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
If it looks like a Troll, talks like a Troll and lives under a bridge...
Umm..... thought I could smell something fishy

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr