Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 29th September 2008
giorgosmit

E-1 dillema

Hello folks. I am looking for some advice regarding the purchase of a used E-1. The offer seems to be VERY good: E-1 with BLM-1, plus the grip with its battery, plus the ZD 18-180, and a Fl-50, for 500 euros (about 400 pounds I think). The seller is a pro, and he has only used the E-1 for studio work (he assured me that the camera has less that 10.000 actuations), and I can check the whole lot before purchase.

I keep hearing praise for the E-1 and its ergonomics and image quality. What worries me is 5mp bit. How large can I print with that resolution? Will I miss pixels? Any more caveats that I should be aware off about the camera?

Fiinally, I decided to sell my E-500 with the 14-45, my FL-36 and that 18-180 as a set. What would be a sensible price for that kit?

Thank you in advance for any answers.
Old 29th September 2008
Xpres

Re: E-1 dillema

You won't regret the E1 and the price seems reasonable. You can blow up the images as big as you like, it's how close you look at them that counts. You'll also learn to use the full frame and not crop. DO check it before you buy, if only to make sure it fits in your hands.
Your e500 might be best sold separately.
Old 29th September 2008

Liked 102 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgosmit View Post
I keep hearing praise for the E-1 and its ergonomics and image quality. What worries me is 5mp bit. How large can I print with that resolution? Will I miss pixels?
I have an E-1 (as well as the E-3) and I would never sell it, it produces beautiful images and I see it becoming a classic. More pixels is not necessarily better, it just depends what you want from 5mp. The E-1 produces images at 2560px x 1920px and if you print out at 300 ppi then you will get images at 2560/300 x 1920/300 which is 8.5" x 6.4", at 200 ppi the dimensions go up to 12.8" x 9.6" ..... and so on. I print out at A3 from E-1 images at a resolution of around 150 - 160 ppi and cannot tell the difference between 150 ppi and 300 ppi. As the print out resolution gets lower the physical size gets bigger, it just depends how big you want your print outs and if the resolution at that size is acceptable to you.

You can print out at billboard size and at a distance will look fine, close up and you will see the individual pixels.

Hope that helps.

Steve.
Old 30th September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
As the print out resolution gets lower the physical size gets bigger, it just depends how big you want your print outs and if the resolution at that size is acceptable to you.

You can print out at billboard size and at a distance will look fine, close up and you will see the individual pixels.
That sums it up nicely. Bigger prints mean a greater viewing distance, so megapixels aren't everything.

I bought an E1 as a second camera. However, when I can eventually afford an E3, it'll be the E510 that gets sold, not the E1. The handling and tonality is a joy. My only gripe is the tiny LCD and the fact that I can't have the highlights warning or histogram on by default.

If you can handle it before you buy, I would suggest you do so, however, as the control interface is quite a bit different to the E5xx. I think the price is fair - mine was around 200 body only in February, but with only about 1600 shutter actuations. 10K is nothing for a "pro" body.
Old 30th September 2008
Scapula Memory

I only sold my E1 recently because I needed to help finance a new purchase. It has gone to a good home but I miss it already! Anyway the things that I was not keen on were the high ISO noise, at 400 I found it too noisy so you would need some kind of NR in your workflow, and as mentioned the small LCD is really only good for overall composition not for checking focus so never delete until you see the image on the computer.

What I will miss is the fantastically quiet shutter, the brilliant handling and ergonomics, overall build quality. and probably the best 5 million pixels out there. I never bought into 420. 510, or 520 because from what I saw the E1s IQ was better.

Just my humble opinion, I seriously doubt you would regret it and that package looks to be a reasonalble deal if you need that lens and FL50
Old 2nd October 2008
mas

For €500 I would say a good buy.

As to selling your existing kit, I would suggest that you sell the 18-180 and the FL-36 as separate items. I have been watching prices for a while and it seems to me that the best prices are for individual items - where the item is desirable.

The 18-180 is a good range for a walkaround lens and will appeal to owners of many differnt cameras. similarly the fl-36. I would say that the 500 and the 14-45 are less in demand - I think that selling as a full set would hold back the value.

I do think that prices are softening at the moment though. I have just won an e1 and a 14-54 for under £300 on ebay (fingers crossed that the deal goes through OK). I know that the lens alone regularly goes for £200+ on its own.

Have a look through the completed listings on ebay or watch for a while and see how the individual prices stack up against what you might get for the full set.
Old 4th October 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You will like the E-1, best camera I have picked up, and great to learn on, and I can see me keeping mine for a few years yet as it is that good.

Regards

peterlittlephotography.com
Old 4th October 2008
giorgosmit

Thank you everybody for your valuable insight. I saw it, and it was love onn first sight! I decided to buy it. Now if only I could find a buyer for the stuff I sell to fund the purchase
Old 5th October 2008
giorgosmit

I got it yesterday, and all I can say is "wow". Now I see what people mean when saying "E-1 handling"... I just have a couple of small niggles:

1. The E-1 I received has the battery grip, but I cannot find the cover for the ordinary BLM-1, in case I want to use the camera without a grip. Can I still buy this accessory from somewhere?

2. The camera's settings reset when I took out the BLL for charging. I presume that means that the internal, small battery is dead?

3. Where can I download the olympus viewer? I want to update the camera's firmware, and do not want to use the trial edition of studio.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Old 5th October 2008
Chillimonster

Quote:
1. The E-1 I received has the battery grip, but I cannot find the cover for the ordinary BLM-1, in case I want to use the camera without a grip. Can I still buy this accessory from somewhere?

The standard battery cover 'lives' in a section of the battery grip and clips into place. if its not there it may be able to be bought (SRS Microsystems are good for spares)
Old 5th October 2008
E-P1 fan

Enjoy your E-1 - takes a bit of getting used to - like a lot of things - but repays you handsomely for your efforts

I love mine - esp with the 14-54mm on board
Old 5th October 2008

Liked 102 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
2. The camera's settings reset when I took out the BLL for charging. I presume that means that the internal, small battery is dead?

3. Where can I download the olympus viewer? I want to update the camera's firmware, and do not want to use the trial edition of studio.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
There is no internal battery, the only battery is the BLM-1. All the camera's configuration and settings are held in non-volatile memory.

Olympus viewer comes on a disc with the E-1 with free upgrades at Viewer Software Updates. You need to contact the person you bought the camera off for the battery door and the CD-ROM.

Steve
Old 7th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is related to my problem; my just purchased second hand E-1, immaculate condition, lacks software, which the seller said could be downloaded online.

There's no CD, so is there any way I can get hold of the software another way? The Olympus site says no software available for the E-1, and Viewer updates have to be accessed from Viewer!

Do I absolutely need this in order to download onto my computer? I already have and use Photoshop for image work so don't need more manipulation software, but will Windows XP just recognise and copy the files?
Old 7th November 2008

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

Photoshop and windows will recognise the files from you card no problem. The only reason you'd need the Olympus software is to perhaps update the firmare on your E-1 - I think the latest firmware version is 1.5.

If you want Olympus Viewer, I have it on my HDD and can email it to you through sendthisfile.com if you wish?

Good choice of camera!!

P.S Picasa 3 is fab for viewing raw files now - just remember and take the option to integrate the Picasa viewer when installing.
Old 7th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As DekHog says, you only really need Viewer for firmware updates. Using a high-speed card reader will download your images much faster than thru the camera. To check your firmware version, switch the camera on, open the card door (door open warning appears on LCD), press the "Image playback" and "OK" buttons together (see www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html )

The latest body firmware version, I believe, is 1.5 (see http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...a/download/sof... )

I would have thought further updates to the E1 are unlikely, but who knows...

A Flickr contact had a similar problem with a software-less E1. I did eventually find this link: http://fourthirdsphoto.com/uploads/viewer1.0win.zip but I don't know if it's OK - looks as though it is from the responses on the 4/3 Photo forum page I found it on ( http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=24574 ), but AYOR, I fear.

Incidentally, when you have a copy of Viewer, depending on your OS you may need to also install a driver http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...a/download/sof...

I think the E1 is a fantastic camera. If it had IS and live view (and a bigger LCD) I probably wouldn't use anything else...