Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 23rd July 2009
EH1

Wink Re: E1 to E3, please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I personally think that you don't see the full essence of a photograph if it isn't printed, and printed reasonably large, not 6x4, but A4, at least. I did some A2 prints the other day and they (I modestly say) looked glorious and much better than on-screen.

Ian
I could`nt agree more! It`s that final print which gives you a buzz!
Old 23rd July 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: E1 to E3, please advise

Ditto - the bigger the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH1 View Post
I could`nt agree more! It`s that final print which gives you a buzz!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd July 2009
Kiwi Paul

I print loads of my photos but only the good ones or at least ones I like, anything from 6x4 to full A3 then frame them and hang them. My walls are covered with them. I swap them out as new ones take their place. It's a great way for visitors, friends etc to see what I do and often they are quite impressed

Paul
Old 23rd July 2009

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I personally think that you don't see the full essence of a photograph if it isn't printed, and printed reasonably large, not 6x4, but A4, at least. I did some A2 prints the other day and they (I modestly say) looked glorious and much better than on-screen.

Ian
I could not agree more, I just had two pics of my grandaughter done by photobox at 20x16 and they look great on the wall, and they were shot at ISO640.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 23rd July 2009

Liked 2,234 Times in 1,475 Posts

Don't let anyone tell you that you need to upgrade to take good photographs, or to keep up to date. I use my E1 to take 'technical' photographs, and it works just as well now as it did when I bought it five years ago.

The E1 might be low on pixel count, but the quality and colour of images is still stunning. The files also take up less space on disk, and are faster processing on Photoshop.

The question you need to ask yourself is: will a new camera make your photography 900 better?

The E3 will certainly allow more cropping, and should produce quieter images, but the E1 is capable of producing superb prints at A3 size, and I very rarely 'need' anything bigger.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th July 2009

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

First off may I thank all members who responded to my question with valuable advice which helped me make my decision which is to hang on to my E1 {I never had any intention of selling it I love it too much} wait till the E3 is replaced and comes down in price significantly then get one either new or on Ebay because at the moment they are going for ridiculous prices. 600-700 is a stupid price to pay for a secondhand body. Once again thank you all, Ian W.
Old 20th November 2010
Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPWheatley View Post
I have been wrestling with this problem for weeks now and need advice. I am the proud owner of an E1 body with an HLD2 grip, 14-54, 50-200, 50 macro with ex tube plus an FL50 flash, my question is should I upgrade to an E3 body, will all the above kit bar the HLD2 work with same, will I notice the diference in my pictures for an outlay of at least 900. I love my E1 and have been using it for approx four years and reckon the E system beats the rest hands down. I look forward to other members comments.
YES!! having been in the same situation and eventually getting the E3, I have never looked back! the E3 is awsome!! Twice the pixels, faster focus, live view, articulated viewfinder, built in flash, image stabilisation on all your ex. lenses.....the list is endless believe me, you will not regret it!
Old 20th November 2010

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have both – technically the E-3 is a good step up, but in my opinion the E-1 is a much better designed camera.

Maybe the E-3 will start to come down in price as the E-5 becomes established?