Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 19th February 2018

Liked 57 Times in 26 Posts
Instagram - Is it just me? Am I missing something?

This social media thing is somewhat complicated for me. As I go to sea and have a very limited amount of internet access, I thought that facebook kind of ticked all the boxes for keeping in touch with family and friends. And it has been my "onestopshop", apart from the odd jaunt through this forum and another, now defunct, one, for all my needs.

Then I got a bolt from the blue, cancer. Its Sunday name is Follicular Lynphoma. Usually referred to as "Lumpy" in polite company. Its treatable but not curable. But the experts seem to think they can keep me going for a good while yet, and that a random bus/falling roof slate/angry Wife/one fry-up too many is far more likely to box me off.

At the moment, I can still pass the medical and ship up. But eventually that will have to end. So have been looking around at what I can do to earn a few quid, when some rotten sod in a white coat takes my seagoing life off me. I find that digging holes etc. for 8 hours a day is now too much for me. I have been taking gig shots for years, so its a logical way to try and go. Which brings me back to social media......

Now everyone on my facebook feed keeps going on about Instagram. So I though I would have a go. Its really not going well.

First of all I should apparently have a smartphone, I happily wonder around with an old JCB phone that refuses to break and has a battery life of about a week. Its really only a marital tracking device, she is the only one who calls me, and I rarely call anyone but her. I dont really want to join the legions of people who dont look where they are going anymore. And I like to look at someones face when I have a yarn bent on with them.

So I get the Instagram app for my laptop. And opening it was like hitting a wall, how do you do anything?!! Enable the laptops camera to upload pix? Why? Follow people, OK but who? No your not getting access to my entire contacts list. Where the hell are the controls? The sailors vocabulary came out at that point.

Then after i do a spot of Googling, I find I can use something called "Gramblr" to upload pix from my laptop. OK, I tend to bung 20 to 30 pix from a gig in an album on facebook, this thing lets me put one picture at a time up. Then it asked me if I wanted to buy "Likes"! Delving through someone else's pix seemed to take an age. Once again, the sailors vocabulary came out. I am not currently getting my head around this at all. A few youtube videos may help, I will have a punt around, but first............

My question/s.
If you use it, do you feel it helps you creatively?
Is feedback mostly worth paying attention too, or is it all trolls?
How about for making contacts that may be useful to you down the road?
Is it worth the long slow - and boring - process of uploading stuff a photo at a time?
Is there a way to upload albums or at least a series of pix to this thing in one operation?
Is buying "Likes" for your pix a common thing?
If the answer to the above is "Yes". Am I right to assume that an awful lot of popular pix are actually only popular because some attention seeker wanted them to be, and was happy to pay?
Has it lead anyone on to paying work? Or at least an invitation into an event/area that you would not have been able to access before?
In short, is it worth persevering?
Is there something better?

I am incredibly baffled by the whole experience so far. But would value your thoughts on Instagram etc. Before I decide its not for me and move on, or keep plugging at it.

Mac
Old 19th February 2018

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Instagram - Is it just me? Am I missing something?

I wouldn't invest too much time in Instagram anymore. The good days are gone and it becomes increasingly more difficult to build a following and see some quality pictures.
The Following User Liked This Post:
macmcgill (19th February 2018)
Old 19th February 2018

Thanked 1,075 Times in 815 Posts
Liked 4,960 Times in 1,616 Posts

I recently joined Instagram but TBH it confuses the life out of me. I've got all sorts of people liking me, almost none of which appear to be photographers or people who give a damn about the photos. On top of that there are now endless advertising videos that pop-up when I go to my page. I'm about to give up with it.

Flickr is by far the best site if sharing photos is all you want to do.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th February 2018

Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,147 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 849 Posts

I'm having some of the same issues as Paul. Only joined recently and it's not gelling with me either.
Old 19th February 2018

Liked 602 Times in 390 Posts

The Facebook app on my iPhone keeps telling me how many of my friends are using Instagram and inviting me to join them. I have no intention of doing so. There seems to be no way of stopping the invitations; it's driving me nuts!
Old 19th February 2018

Thanked 1,075 Times in 815 Posts
Liked 4,960 Times in 1,616 Posts

I hate FB. I think that Instagram is heading the same way. When I get time I'm going to drop my account there.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th February 2018

Liked 290 Times in 154 Posts

I've been on Instagram for years - from when it first started and the only way you could post a picture was to take it there and then on the camera of your phone in 1:1 and if you wanted to filter or edit you had to do it there and then. At that point the creative limits of the app made it really entertaining to use. It was like the instant print films of the 70s and 80s with the added bonus that other people could see and enjoy them.

I mainly follow people I know in real life.
I use it to post pictures of things I like the look of or find funny or have a personal connection to at that moment.
Increasingly these are Olympus pictures copied across with OIShare but lots of phone pictures too and lots that lack the technical merit I would apply to posting here, on other photography forums or on Flickr.
https://www.instagram.com/amcuk/

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcgill View Post
My question/s.
If you use it, do you feel it helps you creatively?
Is feedback mostly worth paying attention too, or is it all trolls?
How about for making contacts that may be useful to you down the road?
Is it worth the long slow - and boring - process of uploading stuff a photo at a time?
Is there a way to upload albums or at least a series of pix to this thing in one operation?
Is buying "Likes" for your pix a common thing?
If the answer to the above is "Yes". Am I right to assume that an awful lot of popular pix are actually only popular because some attention seeker wanted them to be, and was happy to pay?
Has it lead anyone on to paying work? Or at least an invitation into an event/area that you would not have been able to access before?
In short, is it worth persevering?
Is there something better?
Yes it helps me creatively - I'm exposed to pictures from my friends who are graphic designers, web designers and amateur photographers as well as a bunch of other friends.
Feedback is limited and not that useful creatively.
Making contacts - nope, likes and plenty of random follows - I don't get any real interaction that leads to anything, but I'm not looking for work.
You can upload multiple images in the iOS or Android Apps - I generally only bother if I have a few shots taken at the same moment. It doesn't have albums and its not supposed to be a photo archive or a portfolio. Even if you could do this it wouldn't work. Most people see the images from the people they follow on a daily or more regular basis - if you loaded loads of images they'd have a useful life of about 24hrs.
Buying "likes" is a fools errand - it is bragging rights - it isn't a magic bullet into a real audience. Most people with 10,000 likes on a image have 10,000 followers who enjoy what they post.
Paying work? Nope, I'm strictly shooting for own amusement.
Is it worth persevering? Maybe
Is there something better? For your uses, probably.

I use Flickr to post my more "serious" pictures in albums, in bulk etc.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

It's not called Social media for nothing. If you intend to broadcast your own work into the void with no interaction and no effort beyond pressing upload once in a blue moon, then you're never going to get any results or enjoyment out of it, let alone contacts or work.
Upload 10,000 images today and even if you had followers they'd be gone from their feeds tomorrow. I very rarely go digging in another persons history.

Post regularly, with engaging, timely subjects etc. sensible #tagging. Like and reply to any comments you may receive.
Hunt down and follow other people's feeds that you find entertaining or worth while, like and comment on their images and you may build a group of people who interact back.
Will that result in a steady stream of regular work? I doubt it.

If you can get a repost from #olympusuk #JessopsMoment #Wexphoto etc That might bring you a load of likes or new followers but I doubt they'll be potential customers.
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
Old 19th February 2018

Liked 214 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I've got all sorts of people liking me, almost none of which appear to be photographers
hahaha one of those is me - I'm definately not a photographer!

I quite like Instagram (apart from sponsored pics you cant not see) as it gives me something to 'do' with some of the photo's I've taken... I'll put stuff on there I wouldn't put on here, as everyones stuff here seems far better than mine, and I dont have a Flickr account as that seems way above my standard too!
Old 19th February 2018

Liked 57 Times in 26 Posts

At A Mc

Thank you for that, most informative and insightful.

So basically, Instagram is a system for putting forward an image, which will probably be seen by any followers for around 24 hours and then disappear from their radars. And its not the place to build up a "body of work".

I mentioned the buying likes thing, because I was kinda shocked that people would do this at all, it seems rampantly dishonest.

So its not just the image with Instagram, the whole tagging thing is an artform itself?

I dont "broadcast into the void" with facebook, but have used it to slowly build up a network of DJ's (the radio kind, not the bloke with a van and a turntable), bands, promoters, sound engineers and venues. As well as communicating with friends and family while at sea - which is why I originally joined it. But you are right, Instagram sounds much more like sending it out into a void.

Maybe I should explore something else, like flickr. It certainly does seem that Instagram is best used for the odd image from an album taken at a gig. One for the meh pile then.

Your stuff on flickr, by the way, is really nice.

Mac
AMc (20th February 2018)
Old 19th February 2018

Liked 353 Times in 170 Posts

Not on IG myself....I do have a FB page but hardly use it, have people asking me to be friends but I've never heard of them so never connect...I do have a flickr account now which I put up the pics I want but find that a lot of these social media sites are all about bragging about something that makes you want to be liked, not my idea of friendship...I heard a funny thing today worth sharing...

Youtube, Facebook and Twitter are going to join forces as one site to be called YouTwitFace... amused me anyway.

Pete
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 19th February 2018

Liked 1,578 Times in 956 Posts

I follow some excellent photographers, not expecting reciprocation. Use it mainly to educate my eye.

on flickr
Old 20th February 2018

Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts

I've avoided Instagram till now, but my nephew is posting his 6 month world travels there, so reluctantly signed up. I may post the odd thing, but Flickr is a far better way of seeing and getting seen with groups that focus things a bit, and some real feedback sometimes. Most of my photos get seen via groups or searches there. I tag in Lightroom.

Facebook is great for family and specific interests. I can't see myself investing much time in Instagram, it's just too shallow and unfocused.

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Old 20th February 2018

Liked 290 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcgill View Post
So its not just the image with Instagram, the whole tagging thing is an artform itself?

I dont "broadcast into the void" with facebook, but have used it to slowly build up a network of DJ's (the radio kind, not the bloke with a van and a turntable), bands, promoters, sound engineers and venues. As well as communicating with friends and family while at sea - which is why I originally joined it. But you are right, Instagram sounds much more like sending it out into a void.
You're welcome to the thoughts and thanks for the compliments on my pictures

I would use Flickr or perhaps 500px to hold portfolio pictures.

Instagram is a more "news feed" environment - my posts show up in my followers feeds along with all the other people they follow. Users typically scroll through the updates, like and may be comment then close the app.
I don't know many people who spend hours exploring random feeds from other people.
The more people you follow, comment and tag the more chance they will look at your stuff, follow and like your stuff.
In the phone app I'm continuously reminded of my Facebook friends who are on Instagram as Instagram are owned by Facebook.

I would expect your musical friends to be on Instagram. If you post images of them around the time gigs and events, tag their user names and add hash tags for the venues and bands then I would expect some cross fertilisation of their fans resulting in follows and likes for you. It builds organically just like Facebook.

I follow a few bands, there tends to be a lot of activity when they're on the road or releasing music then nothing when they're recording etc.

A couple of the venues near me show up a mixture of people posting their pictures and more ones from the venue
https://www.instagram.com/explore/lo.../norwich-open/
https://www.instagram.com/explore/lo...a-lcr-norwich/

Bands...
https://www.instagram.com/funlovincrims/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/foofighters/?hl=en