Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Re: EM-1 MARK II review

Now my 12-60 has died the 12-100 looks a good idea but the Mk II is too much for such average improvements I guess the ORF files are still 12-bit ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 3,435 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
Now my 12-60 has died the 12-100 looks a good idea but the Mk II is too much for such average improvements I guess the ORF files are still 12-bit ?

Yes, still 12-bit image pipeline. I dont think it matters though. Unless noise and DR are notably improved then more bits are pointless. All you'd be doing is encoding more noise.
Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 3,435 Times in 1,167 Posts

Looking around the internet, it seems it hasn't been a great day for Olympus. The near universal reaction has been "how much? - they can't serious". Add to that a certain lowering of expectations compared to the launch hype (still concerns about CAF, IQ no better than Pen-F) and you have a spiralling negativity around the camera.

I feel for Olympus really. The R&D and production costs of the E-M1ii can't be any different from a D500, D750 or such like and yet because the sensor is smaller, the expectation is that it should be cheaper. It's as if the Olympus should be VW Golf pricing, not Mercedes pricing and no matter how close the Golf might come to a C class in performance, no-one will ever accept that you should pay as much for one.

I guess it's a problem for Olympus since there is still massive prejudice based on sensor size. Personally, I'm relaxed about that - but I must admit that I was hoping for improved sensor performance on the E-M1ii but unless something comes out on more detailed reviews later it seems it's not there.

For landscape shooters, it looks like we're essentially in the same position today as we were when the E-M5 was launched 4 years ago.
Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 253 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
For landscape shooters, it looks like we're essentially in the same position today as we were when the E-M5 was launched 4 years ago.
Well I guess your MkII is nicer to use (except for the screen!) but I can see your point.

The EM1 has always felt "slow" to me compared with the Sony models I had before. Take a burst and then try and review and there is a wait, even with a fast card. Press a button when the camera is "busy" and the action isn't queued but ignored and you have to press again. I've got used to it, but the new model does seem to promise much better performance.

C-AF is important to me and I've got the EM1 to work, but it's not easy. I'm waiting for a proper review of this mode as most reviewers seem to only play with it or ignore it.
Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 772 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengeo View Post
The EM1 has always felt "slow" to me compared with the Sony models I had before. Take a burst and then try and review and there is a wait, even with a fast card.
Interesting: what Sonys did you have before?

My experience with the A7S isn't that at all - both writing and reviewing images feel about the same, while the E-M1 (and 5ii) is enormously faster at switching on and being able to take the first shot, and also noticeably quicker at showing a correctly-exposed image in the eVF.

I have missed street shots with the A7S while waiting for it to wake up! Firmware updates improved it a bit, but it's still glacial in comparison.

I know also that it was an oft-repeated criticism of the A7Rii on launch that reviewing images took an age, but maybe they've solved that now with firmware updates. How does it seem to you, Paul?

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 253 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Interesting: what Sonys did you have before?
SLR / SLT models. Never tried the A7 range.
Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 1,290 Times in 618 Posts

I'm breaking from the trend and have placed my order already

Reasons?

- I had the money put aside from sale of my remaining canon kit and profit from our annual exhibition sales
- the spec and actual changes such as the new sensor with 121 cross pdaf and higher frame rates are needed for my type of shooting
- I like shiny new toys
- I don't drink, smoke or go out with expensive young women and have minimal other financial commitments
- I'm losing a lot of my contemporaries and friends to stokes, cancer and the like and there is no guarantee that if I wait I will be here to buy at the "proper market price"

So, what the heck - I buying myself my new toy and if you promise not to be to critical of my efforts I may even tell you how I get on with it

I'm now waiting like a kid for his promised Christmas Present
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
GRAHAMJ (3rd November 2016), Wee man (3rd November 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
ashtonsd (3rd November 2016), Bengeo (3rd November 2016), birdboy (3rd November 2016), Bruce Clarke (3rd November 2016), dbutch (3rd November 2016), drmarkf (3rd November 2016), George Dorn (3rd November 2016), GRAHAMJ (3rd November 2016), Greytop (3rd November 2016), Grumpy Hec (3rd November 2016), Hermboy (6th November 2016), iso (3rd November 2016), Melaka (3rd November 2016), Miketoll (3rd November 2016), OM USer (4th November 2016), pault (3rd November 2016), Ross the fiddler (3rd November 2016), sdb123 (3rd November 2016)
Old 3rd November 2016

Thanked 1,106 Times in 872 Posts
Liked 1,299 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post

I wouldn't have minded my 12-60 dying since it was a bargain (I don't really mean that), but the 50-200 SWD lens died today (stuck aperture blades) which cost me more (used) last year. Anyhow, I went ahead & got the 40-150 Pro+MC14 at a good price, so that will mean I will have to wait longer for other gear purchases. (1st world problem! )
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3rd November 2016

Thanked 1,106 Times in 872 Posts
Liked 1,299 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post

Reasons?

- I had the money put aside from sale of my remaining canon kit and profit from our annual exhibition sales
- the spec and actual changes such as the new sensor with 121 cross pdaf and higher frame rates are needed for my type of shooting
- I like shiny new toys
- I don't drink, smoke or go out with expensive young women and have minimal other financial commitments
- I'm losing a lot of my contemporaries and friends to stokes, cancer and the like and there is no guarantee that if I wait I will be here to buy at the "proper market price"

So, what the heck - I buying myself my new toy and if you promise not to be to critical of my efforts I may even tell you how I get on with it

That's what I like to hear. My dentist wants to put crowns in my mouth, but I'm not prepared to sink all that money into my mouth when a filling will be sufficient & the cash can go to exciting toys that someone else can enjoy if I, for any reason, am not able to. Any excuse to add to my toys.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 1,290 Times in 618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
That's what I like to hear. My dentist wants to put crowns in my mouth, but I'm not prepared to sink all that money into my mouth when a filling will be sufficient & the cash can go to exciting toys that someone else can enjoy if I, for any reason, am not able to. Any excuse to add to my toys.
My dentist was making a fortune treating chronic abscesses in my jaws caused my NHS poor practise. When I worked out how many Łks I had spent to get to that state I had the remaining few removed and am now toothless!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (3rd November 2016)
Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 796 Times in 325 Posts

Quote:

Reasons?

- I like shiny new toys

Brian, cannot fault you at all for that attitude. If you have the money and the desire for the new toy then go for it.

I'm going to wait until I've had the chance to try one before I decide, as with everything, it's what you think of it that's important, not what the internet says!

I'm very interested in it as it addresses the issues I find difficult with the mk1, but am happy to await the opportunity to get hands on with it first.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
I'm very interested in it as it addresses the issues I find difficult with the mk1, but am happy to await the opportunity to get hands on with it first.
Are you going to the E-M1 MKII preview day in Cambridge?
Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 503 Times in 339 Posts

Quote:

<Snip as repeated by others already>

Well said Brian. I will be very interested to hear your thoughts once you have used it in anger. And bad light.

As a sports/live music shooter about the only things I would hope for are cleaner performance at the high ISOs we already have, more DR would be nice and more dependable focus. Secondary things are a proper battery charge indicator (at last!) and the ability to shoot in the dark without the back screen glowing (a small-to-medium annoyance with the Mark I). The high-res mode, silly frame rates and video stuff don't interest me at all.

John
Old 3rd November 2016

Liked 772 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
Are you going to the E-M1 MKII preview day in Cambridge?
Is that the one at Jessups on the 8th or Campkins on the 17th? I could actually make either at more or less any time, so if anyone wanted to meet up before/after for a coffee/beer/photowalk let me know.

I've ruled out a mkII for now, but I am interested to try out the 12-100.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 3rd November 2016

Thanked 1,095 Times in 980 Posts
Liked 1,057 Times in 701 Posts

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Wee Man

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?