Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 23rd March 2016

Liked 233 Times in 122 Posts
Button delay slow setting

I thought I would share my recent experience of thinking I had a problem when it was just a setting feature. I was experiencing very slow and what seemed erratic button responses sometimes taking 3 seconds to do something.

I have been trying to take images in low light, astrophotograpy. Focusing is critical and quite difficult at night fumbling around with the buttons. Well my OMD EM1 went back to Oly in Jan because the thumbwheels were not responding. It came back and at the same time there was the 4.1 firmware upgrade. I then seemed to notice that button presses were very erratic. It seemed that the slow button response may have been either a fault from the repair or the new firmware. I email tech support who suggested a few things and then they suggested that I returned the camera. I had tried it out at night and the response of the buttons was very slow, Just before I was about to pack the camera up I tried it in daylight and the response seemed OK. So I thought the problem had gone away. I then thought I'd have a look at the manual and LiveView. I noticed that on page 176 it warns that when set to On2 button responses are slower.

At night Live View Boost On2 is a great feature as you can see the stars position the camera to the right bit of sky and then magnify to a star to focus. Problem was I had tended to leave this left on. This was causing my problems with what seemed like slow responses to button presses. So my advice is if you need to use it do so but dont;t forget to turn it back off. Hope this helps others who may also have thought they had a problem

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
OM USer (23rd March 2016), Wee man (23rd March 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
alfbranch (23rd March 2016), Bengeo (23rd March 2016)