Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P5

Olympus Pen E-P5 The Pen E-P5 is the first Olympus system camera to offer integrated wifi and a top shutter speed of 1/800th second.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Re: Thinking of an E-P5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Cheers Simon - I didn't really need that!

;^)

I'd talked myself out of wanting an E-P5 until your post. I'll wait until Monday and hope that it's gone by then. If is hasn't ....... !

The problem is that I've an E5 and am using it with a 14-35 f2. It's a wonderful combination, though heavy. I don't really want to take photos with another camera with inferior optics and end up saying to myself 'I wish I'd taken that with my 14-35'.

Jim
You're welcome Jim

Ooh.... E5 & 14/35 F2, I know exactly what you mean. I photographed the 2012 olympic torch relay in Burry port, Carmarthenshire with that exact combination, the detail in those images never fail to stagger me

Simon
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post

Anyway, if on your travels on the Internet you happen to come across another Gothic Pen f, please let me know.
I will indeed let you know if I spot another.

Simon
Ricoh (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,050 Times in 641 Posts

Just thinking wildly here, you could make a business out of 'date arrangements' - camera owner wishes to meet a camera seeker.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 504 Times in 340 Posts

Quote:
Anyway, if on your travels on the Internet you happen to come across another Gothic Pen f, please let me know. I think I should have two bodies, one for colour and one for B&W, as well as being a back up.
(Polite cough) At least three, surely - colour neg, colour slide and B&W. Not to mention possibly a fourth for extra-fast (or slow) B&W......

John
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
(Polite cough) At least three, surely - colour neg, colour slide and B&W. Not to mention possibly a fourth for extra-fast (or slow) B&W......

John

Great idea, John, but a tad greedy don't you think. I feel obliged to leave one or two for the rest of you guys. You film lovers.

on flickr
Bikie John (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 722 Times in 482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Well then Jim I think you will hard pressed to get a better deal on the 'body' than in the link below.

Leica Store Manchester ( aka .... Stephens of Manchester ) , I have dealt with David Stephens and he is very professional and offers excellent service as would be expected to have gained 'Leica Store' status ( as opposed to just a Leica dealer ).
Well, I got a better deal - from 'Stephens of Manchester'!

I tried to fight the temptation off all weekend, but finally succumbed. They let me have the camera for 185, including next day postage.

They were very nice and friendly to deal with, which really clinched it for me!

Just got to get a lens that compliments the compactness of the body.

Jim
Simon Bee (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Well, I got a better deal - from 'Stephens of Manchester'!

I tried to fight the temptation off all weekend, but finally succumbed. They let me have the camera for 185, including next day postage.

They were very nice and friendly to deal with, which really clinched it for me!

Just got to get a lens that compliments the compactness of the body.

Jim
Well done Jim,

They are great to deal with and that's a damn fine deal you got

Simon
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Excellent deal on an excellent camera.

(Far better than my experience attempting to purchase a Pen f: On-line purchase completed over a week ago and when I phoned today to progress delivery the vendor informed me the camera had been sold to someone else. Disappointed and I await my credit card statement to confirm money was reimbursed as stated.)

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Excellent deal on an excellent camera.

(Far better than my experience attempting to purchase a Pen f: On-line purchase completed over a week ago and when I phoned today to progress delivery the vendor informed me the camera had been sold to someone else. Disappointed and I await my credit card statement to confirm money was reimbursed as stated.)
Oh that's a bummer Steve, P.W. should have updated his site before going away, I can understand your disappointment.

I'll keep an eye out for you once again.

Simon
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Well done Jim,

They are great to deal with and that's a damn fine deal you got
When I phoned them I was still undecided, and when I asked if they could give a further reduction, was quite prepared to say that I'd give it some thought, if they got 'sniffy' about it. I was quite disarmed when they offered the reduction, which helped make my mind up.

Jim
Simon Bee (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Oh that's a bummer Steve, P.W. should have updated his site before going away, I can understand your disappointment.

I'll keep an eye out for you once again.

Simon
I think so Simon, I was waiting to see the condition of the camera (Mint -) and lens (Ex++) before bagging the 100mm f/3.5 he also had for sale. When I phoned today I was told both had been sold. I do think anyone running a business, either brick and mortar or on-line, should check stock level prior to accepting payment. I was aware his 'shop' was closed for the week so patiently waited until today.
If you spot something I would be appreciative. I've been thinking this past week all those diptychs and triptychs I could capture. I've been looking on eBay but there's some rubbish about described as excellent. Quite a number available from Japan, but it's a long way for returns, and all the import taxes and vat on top of the headline price.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
When I phoned them I was still undecided, and when I asked if they could give a further reduction, was quite prepared to say that I'd give it some thought, if they got 'sniffy' about it. I was quite disarmed when they offered the reduction, which helped make my mind up.

Jim
I had one of these and I'm fairly certain you'll enjoy the experience- built like a tank and some great features too. Lens-wise, a Panny 20mm MK 2 would be my choice if size was an issue.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Received the camera yesterday.

It looks in new condition. Not a mark on it - not even grease marks on the grip.

It didn't have a strap - I'll have to look out for one. Also the battery (a Hahnel) was U/S. The charger showed that it was charging, but it wasn't in fact. I gave it a 'sniff' of an Amp from a regulated power supply, in an attempt to 'kick start' it, but it wouldn't continue to charge on the mains charger. I've ordered some Xpro ones.

Jim
Simon Bee (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Received the camera yesterday.

It looks in new condition. Not a mark on it - not even grease marks on the grip.

It didn't have a strap - I'll have to look out for one. Also the battery (a Hahnel) was U/S. The charger showed that it was charging, but it wasn't in fact. I gave it a 'sniff' of an Amp from a regulated power supply, in an attempt to 'kick start' it, but it wouldn't continue to charge on the mains charger. I've ordered some Xpro ones.

Jim
It certainly looked like new on their site so I am glad to have pointed it out to you Jim. I was tempted myself but was holding out for a second Pen-F as a back up for my trip to Japan next year. Just got a S/H 'cracker' off Harrison's in a 'Black Friday' deal.

Shame about the battery but I guess at the price you got it for you're not complaining , enjoy

regards,
Simon
Jim Ford (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

OK fellas what's the secret - where's the 'Super Control Panel' I learned to love on my E500, E3 and E5, please?

I've looked through the abominable manual to see how it can be activated, to no avail!

Jim