Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 16th August 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Upgrade or not?

Hi folks,

I am currently shooting with an E-620 and 50-200 with and without and EC14.
My main interest is birds and wildlife. Does the E-3 or E-5 offer any major benefits over my current set up for this type of shooting?
Old 16th August 2012

Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Re: Upgrade or not?

I recently upgraded from E620 to E5.

Of course the E5 is bigger and heavier, but (usefully) it can also take rain.

I have not compared any formal tests, but the shooting experience is so much better with the E5 that I almost never use the E620 now.

In particular (bearing in mind your interest in birds):

(1) Viewfinder is bigger, brighter.

(2) Focusing is much faster. Even the 50-200 Mk1 + EC14 is much faster than any previous body.

(3) Processing is better, especially less noise, I try to keep to ISO 400 or less with the E620 but go to ISO 1600 with the E5.

It would be good if you could get a chance to handle one, you need to think hard about the extra weight.

OM-D E-M1 Panasonic GX7 Various Oly and Panasonic lenses
Old 16th August 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Are you satisfied with the results you're getting?

Do you need weatherproofing?

Do you need a faster frame rate?

The viewfinder is better in the E-3/5.

Have you any physical limitations?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 16th August 2012

Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,117 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Stephen, such great advice and "spot-on" re the benefits of the E-5

KittyKat I upgraded from E-1 to E-5 and the extra detail that the E-5 squeezes out of the Zuiko Lenss still, Everyday - STAGGERS BELIEF

As for BiF - take a look in my Gallery - at Red Kites taken with just the 50-200 and I find for theses BiF and Dragonflies that the Mk 1 is actually better (it does not "search" so much)

Ed Wee Man has just upgraded to an E-5 so pm he for his thoughts, if he does not reply on here I forget what kit he upgraded from
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 16th August 2012

Liked 134 Times in 69 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat23uk View Post
Hi folks,

I am currently shooting with an E-620 and 50-200 with and without and EC14.
My main interest is birds and wildlife. Does the E-3 or E-5 offer any major benefits over my current set up for this type of shooting?
I have both E5 and E620 but always use the E5 for 'serious' photos. I think you'd find the upgrade worthwhile.

EM1, EM5 II
Old 16th August 2012

Thanked 1,103 Times in 983 Posts
Liked 1,075 Times in 710 Posts

Only upgraded in the last few day from my trusty E30 which is now sitting on the subs bench. Glad I made the move, thanks Simon Bee you were right it is a different experience.
It is bigger and heavier but not a lot from the E30 the change from an E 620 would be greater. I needed weatherproofing. Image quality I can tell already is much better.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 16th August 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

Thanyou for your insights!

Weight was my biggest consideration for upgrading to 4/3 from a bridge camera rather than going Canikon (OH has a canon). Having just returned from another safari, and with another trip planned for the autumn to Madagascar, I am wondering where to take my photography.

Not rain, but dust was a really big issue in Mana Pools. I got dust inside my flip out screen somehow. I have been reviewing my shots, some are great, others quite noisy, some are not a sharp as I would have liked and some, the animals/birds are just too far away, I know a lot of these issues cannot be solved with upgrading kit. But I think if I could improve focussing time, stretch out the ISO usability then maybe I could get more out of my kit.

I perhaps got a bit of camera envy- another lady on our trip had gone all out on canon and got a 1Dx and 300 prime, with stacked converters a spare 5D and various other lenses. She was getting some phenomenal images especially in low light.. But I would not have wanted to spend the time we spent walking, lumbered with all that gear!

I also invested in a new camcorder so was less focused on photography as I was on the video this time.

ETA: How does the E-3 compare to the E-5?
Old 16th August 2012

Quote:
Hi,

Thanyou for your insights!

Weight was my biggest consideration for upgrading to 4/3 from a bridge camera rather than going Canikon (OH has a canon). Having just returned from another safari, and with another trip planned for the autumn to Madagascar, I am wondering where to take my photography.

Not rain, but dust was a really big issue in Mana Pools. I got dust inside my flip out screen somehow. I have been reviewing my shots, some are great, others quite noisy, some are not a sharp as I would have liked and some, the animals/birds are just too far away, I know a lot of these issues cannot be solved with upgrading kit. But I think if I could improve focussing time, stretch out the ISO usability then maybe I could get more out of my kit.

I perhaps got a bit of camera envy- another lady on our trip had gone all out on canon and got a 1Dx and 300 prime, with stacked converters a spare 5D and various other lenses. She was getting some phenomenal images especially in low light.. But I would not have wanted to spend the time we spent walking, lumbered with all that gear!

I also invested in a new camcorder so was less focused on photography as I was on the video this time.

ETA: How does the E-3 compare to the E-5?
Do check out weight of *anikon's as my friends have real heavy kit and battery life ! the E-5 special white battery has an amazingly long life - Sooo I have 3 of these white batteries and no big heavy unit under the camera it made a big difference to me on our adventures on uninhabited Islands in the Seychelles (climbing and lugging kit is darn hard work)

the ONE photo album
Old 16th August 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the info re the battery. That is good to know. I have a grip for my E-620 but have never used it, preferring to keep the weight down and just change batteries on the go if need be.
Old 16th August 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I perhaps got a bit of camera envy

Be honest with yourself... is this the MAIN reason you're looking to upgrade?

Whereas we perhaps lust after our dream Aston Martin, it's expensive, whereas the 'best' camera equipment is far easier to afford. But... do you really need it?

PS. Don't buy an Aston, they're crap!
--------------------------
Old 16th August 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
Be honest with yourself... is this the MAIN reason you're looking to upgrade?

Whereas we perhaps lust after our dream Aston Martin, it's expensive, whereas the 'best' camera equipment is far easier to afford. But... do you really need it?

PS. Don't buy an Aston, they're crap!
Astons are MAGIC ! and my friend David designed the new engine 4.5 L to 6.3 L unfortunately David went out to the Suntan of Brunei to "nurse his car collection"

the ONE photo album
Old 16th August 2012

Liked 134 Times in 69 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Hi,

Having just returned from another safari, and with another trip planned for the autumn to Madagascar, I am wondering where to take my photography.

I don't think I'd be happy using an E620 in Africa. The E5 would be a big advantage to you because of its better weather and dust proofing. In my experience if Africa isn't dusty it's wet. We're thinking of going next year. Ideally I'd take the 90-250 but blanch at the thought of carrying it around, even getting it there. I guess it will be the 50-200 and EC14.

EM1, EM5 II
Old 21st August 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks My E-620 has survived three trips to Africa thus far. My latest trip is being written up as we speak over on Safari Talk:

http://safaritalk.net/topic/9029-dir...g-dogs-safari/

Yes I suppose seeing soe of the results Anita was getting left me very envious.
Old 28th August 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Can someone confirm whether the E-5 is any better at focusing in low light than the E-3 and if so, to what degree? I see the E-3 used are in the region of 350 whereas the E-5 are 3x-4x the price. Is the E-5 that much better??
Old 28th August 2012

Liked 1,119 Times in 504 Posts

^ Just a point to a question you hinted at. I have a Canon 1d Mk2 and it is a fantastic camera, not quite full frame but it is a beast to carry around. Stick on a 100-400 lens for BIF or air shows etc., and Arnie Swats-is-name would have bovver carrying it around. Canon L glass is good but I have to say the Oly digital glass is as good if not better, is half the weight and size regards same range of distance. IE. Canon 100-400 canon VS Oly 50-200 / 75-300.

I later opted to Olympus, e3 with both the aforementioned Oly lens, and for me this proved a better way to go.

Where dust or other crap is concerned two camera's are better than one = no lens swapping or, at least, cuts it down by half.

If you opt for a cheaper lens, ie, not weatherproofed, then use a filter. It can help towards the prevention of dust/water ingress.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs