Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 4th February 2019

Liked 2,788 Times in 1,529 Posts
Flash Which Tilts Forwards

I use Fl-300R flashguns freestanding (on plastic stands) when circumstances allow, as fill for my FL-36R on the L-bracket when shooting macro.

Aiming these into the lens is asking for trouble i.e. flare and loss of contrast. So I often place then on small wooded blocks (2" x2") when the subject (or the lump of wood it is growing on) is not very tall. I then angle each gun downwards by 45 degrees, where it has a locking position.

I have tried to find and image of this tilted position on the internet. All I can to find is the 45 degrees titled back, useful for bounce but not for any macro I have shot. Even the Olympus website has only the vertical position.

I found this, which is with the gun on the hot shoe, which I never use:

I think Olympus and the photographic websites do this gun a disservice by not showing this feature.

Anyway, the reason for this string is to canvass experience about alternative forward tilting guns for potential use for macro.

Nissin do not do one. (Would be useful for my A7R).

Harold
Old 4th February 2019

Liked 115 Times in 84 Posts
Re: Flash Which Tilts Forwards

I simply use my flash off camera, linked by a TTL cord. This gives complete freedom to point it any way I want
Old 4th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrochemist View Post
I simply use my flash off camera, linked by a TTL cord. This gives complete freedom to point it any way I want
Triple flash?

When I can't rest the second flash (for twin flash) on a support I tend to hold it in my lens-supporting hand.

Hands-free flash makes all the difference with high magnification macro.

Harold
Old 4th February 2019

Liked 115 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Triple flash?

When I can't rest the second flash (for twin flash) on a support I tend to hold it in my lens-supporting hand.

Harold
I often find one flash gives too much light unless held quite a way back (even in TTL). So a simple reflector to fill shadows is adequate instead of second/third flash.

Perhaps not suitable for butterfly macros, but works OK for most subjects, and gave enough light for my attempt at 6x lifesize (even if flare ruined the shot)
Old 4th February 2019

Liked 568 Times in 198 Posts

Sorry if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs, you may already be aware of this.....'Show us your macro rigs'.... plenty of novel and crazy ideas that may give some pointers ...https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...ro-rig.132158/
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave in Wales For This Useful Post:
OM USer (4th February 2019)
Old 4th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrochemist View Post
I often find one flash gives too much light unless held quite a way back (even in TTL). So a simple reflector to fill shadows is adequate instead of second/third flash.

Perhaps not suitable for butterfly macros, but works OK for most subjects, and gave enough light for my attempt at 6x lifesize (even if flare ruined the shot)
I would use daylight for most butterfly macros.

I work mostly with x3 to x10 and with very small effective apertures. Mostly, I would be able to get enough light from one flash at ISO 400, sometimes needing ISO 800. Triple flash is not about intensity but killing unwanted shadows and bringing out fine detail, also doing away with dark backgrounds from light fall-off. Sometimes twin or single flash gives bitter results.

With freestanding flashguns I can vary the angle, distance and height of two of them. I don't always tilt the 300Rs, but usually I do with at least one of them.

I am not offering a technique here but asking about available hardware out of curiosity, not need.

Harold
Old 4th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
Sorry if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs, you may already be aware of this.....'Show us your macro rigs'.... plenty of novel and crazy ideas that may give some pointers ...https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...ro-rig.132158/
If you want a few hundred more (most archived) and including several of mine:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/780820/

Harold