Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 27th January 2019

Liked 2,059 Times in 1,363 Posts
Medium Format Colour

Well, enough of the threats, I thought it was time that I uploaded some scans from the batch of films I had processed by Nick & Trick Photography Services of Folkestone shortly before Christmas.

The selection below are my colour favourites to date. I have some others that I am still working on colour balance, and some black & whites which I plan to upload soon.

Water Feature at Alnwick Gardens, Northumberland.

Mamiya 645 Pro TL, 80 mm at f8.0 Velvia 50 (Expired 2005.)

An old bench in a quiet corner of the gardens at Wallington House, Northumberland. I was fascinated by the contrasting colours and the almost prehistoric feel of the environment, which suit Velvia well.

Mamiya 645 Pro TL, 80 mm at f5.6 Velvia 50 (Expired 2005.)

St Cuthbert's Chapel, Ushaw, Co Durham.

This photograph was taken in early June when the gardens were a blaze of colour, which suited the new Kodak Ektar 100 well. Ushaw College was designed by Augustus Pugin, who also deigned much of the Palace of Westminster, but rarely receives any credit for it. The college was used as a Roman Catholic seminary for over 200 years until closure in 2011, but is now open to the public.

Mamiya RZ67, 65 mm at f11.0, Kodak Ektar 100.

A walk in the park on a hot summer's day.

Hardwick East Park, Co Durham.

I am not entirely happy with the colours of this photograph, but film is more tricky than digital as there is no automatic colour balance!

Mamiya 645 Pro TL, 80 mm at f11.0 Velvia 50 (Expired 2005.)

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (28th January 2019), IainMacD (28th January 2019), Keith-369 (28th January 2019), MJ224 (28th January 2019), Ricoh (30th January 2019)
Old 28th January 2019

Liked 2,712 Times in 1,291 Posts
Re: Medium Format Colour

The first photo is really good Nigel. I suppose using well out of date film brings a hazards. But you could or are giving the digitised film picture a tweak in LR or similar...…..

My Flickr
Old 28th January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
The first photo is really good Nigel. I suppose using well out of date film brings a hazards. But you could or are giving the digitised film picture a tweak in LR or similar...…..
I bought a load of short-dated Velvia in 2005 when they were almost giving the stuff away. Despite protests from SWMBO I have kept it in the freezer ever since and take it out as required.

The film seems to be as good now as it was then so adjustments are rarely required. My mistake is to wait too long before getting it processed after exposure! I keep it in the fridge awaiting development, (in a sealed bag with silica gel), but I have noticed visible deterioration in films that have waited more than about six months.

The only film I have had a problem with is the old Kodak Portra 160 NC and VC colour negative films from about the same time. The colours in those are really washed out. When I processed some myself I noticed that the Dev came out a bright, pea green colour. The orange base is also very pale. I think I will probably ditch what I have left, or will try doing something else with it.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 28th January 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,063 Times in 2,381 Posts
Liked 4,283 Times in 2,015 Posts

Glad to see you are giving that Mamiya (and yourself!) a work-out. The film has behaved remarkably well, considering it is so long out of date. The colours seem a little "off" at times, but it is hard to tell if this is due to film age or colour balance. I think it works in your favour with the superb bench shot, which has an almost cross processed feel. The other one that catches my eye is the field of wild flowers, a very pleasing composition.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (28th January 2019)
Old 28th January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Glad to see you are giving that Mamiya (and yourself!) a work-out. The film has behaved remarkably well, considering it is so long out of date. The colours seem a little "off" at times, but it is hard to tell if this is due to film age or colour balance. I think it works in your favour with the superb bench shot, which has an almost cross processed feel. The other one that catches my eye is the field of wild flowers, a very pleasing composition.
Thank you for your kind comments John.

That last photograph troubles me a little. If only I had a grey card in there somewhere to get the colour balance right!

It looks too blue to me. I have tried using the white Dandelion heads to set white balance but it then becomes too magenta. If I use the white clouds it looks too yellow. Photoshop's auto-colour doesn't help either.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 28th January 2019
Administrator

I've had a go at adjusting the colour balance too, also using the dandelion heads. I found I got different results from different heads! I also applied a digital 81 warming filter, set at 25% which I reckon is roughly equal to an actual 81B filter. The result is perhaps a little too yellow, but I am naturally drawn to warm images. See what you think.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th January 2019

Thanks John. The field and wild flowers look good, better even, but the clouds have a magenta tint to them. This is the problem I have been struggling with!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (28th January 2019)
Old 28th January 2019
Administrator

You're right Nigel, the clouds are too magenta in my edited version so I've had another go. This time I made an inverse selection of the sky so it wouldn't be subjected to the edit. I also refrained from adjusting the colour balance (too variable depending upon which dandelion head is selected) and just applied the 81 filter set at 30%. I think it is better, but still not quite right. Has anyone else got another suggestion?

OM USer (28th January 2019)
Old 28th January 2019

Thank you for that John. That does look a lot better, and more natural.

I need to work on my Photoshop skills. B&W is so much easier sometimes.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Zuiko (28th January 2019)
Old 28th January 2019

Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,320 Posts
Liked 1,202 Times in 806 Posts

A nice set with lovely strong colours. John (Zuiko) may have nailed the processing of the dandelion shot in post #8 as the seed heads and the clouds do not look at odds with each other.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Naughty Nigel (28th January 2019), Zuiko (28th January 2019)
Old 28th January 2019

Liked 1,162 Times in 665 Posts

That’s nice.

It’s one of the advantages of using Capture One as a raw processor that you have got a lot of control over white balance and colours in masks and by luminosity at the raw conversion stage, so it would work well for the adjustments in that last image. That shot really shows the depth of field and focus falloff effects that MF can give.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 29th January 2019

Liked 1,449 Times in 925 Posts

I'm attracted to the idea of a MF camera because they're usually nice pieces of kit, engineered to a high quality standard, but I'd never make use of the high resolution that they provide. For that reason, I'm out!

Jim
Naughty Nigel (29th January 2019)
Old 29th January 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I'm attracted to the idea of a MF camera because they're usually nice pieces of kit, engineered to a high quality standard, but I'd never make use of the high resolution that they provide. For that reason, I'm out!

Jim
Jim, it's worth it just to experience viewing those huge Velvia transparencies on a light box.

Jim Ford (29th January 2019)
Naughty Nigel (29th January 2019)
Old 29th January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

Jim
John is right. I process my own transparencies if I have enough of them. Pulling medium format transparencies out of the tank and holding them up to the light for the first time is an experience that (mistakes excepted) I always get great pleasure from.

I enjoy the quality, the resolution, tonal gradation and the ability to crop as needed, but I find that using a large waist level finder with the chimney up is so much better than the small, dull and cluttered viewfinders on most DSLRs' nowadays, especially now that fast primes seem to have gone out of fashion.

Film is expensive, and the RZ67 only allows ten exposures from a 120 roll film, (the 645 allows 15), but that just makes you take more time and more care. Even when I have made a balls up and come back with nothing my enjoyment of the photography process is such that I really don't mind.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jim Ford (29th January 2019), Zuiko (29th January 2019)
Old 29th January 2019

Liked 1,449 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
John is right. I process my own transparencies if I have enough of them. Pulling medium format transparencies out of the tank and holding them up to the light for the first time is an experience that (mistakes excepted) I always get great pleasure from.
I also used to process 35mm Ferrania colour transparencies in the early 70s - C50 IIRC. It was very satisfying. I used to mix the chemicals to the formula that Ferrania published, just for one film from the raw chemicals. Halfway through the process the film had to be removed from the tank and exposed, before putting back on the spiral. I understand that that the film is fogged chemically nowadays.

I once gave a demonstration to the Rolls-Royce Camera club, where I developed the film, gave it a quick wash, rinsed it in formalin to harden the emulsion and dried it in front of a heater before mounting and projecting a few slides. It all went OK.

Jim
drmarkf (29th January 2019), Naughty Nigel (29th January 2019), Zuiko (29th January 2019)