Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24th January 2019
cariadus's Avatar
cariadus cariadus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Barry, Vale of Glamorgan
Posts: 1,350
Thanks: 10
Thanked 140 Times in 129 Posts
Likes: 10
Liked 123 Times in 66 Posts
Hasselblad H1

Blimey, my third post in a week. What's got into me...?

Anyway, if anyone is curious about the Hasselblad H1 that I mentioned in my last post about shooting on Velvia and how could it possibly replace my beautiful V System Hasselblad, I've written an article about it:
https://www.filmshooterscollective.c...r-harrison-1-8

I suppose the H1 could qualify for Nostagia Nexus as either a film camera or digital, since I can shoot both with it and the H1 and P25 digital back are of 2005 vintage (or thereabouts). But as the article is on filmshooterscollective.com it is purely about film.

I mostly use the digital back for work photos (in my job as a chauffeur I sometimes have to double as an event photographer) but I do use it for other things occasionally. These were all taken with the the H1 and Phase One P25.


Storm waves at Barry Island, April 2018. The highest waves I've even seen in Barry


In case you were wondering what the waves looked like from inside the balustrade in the photo above


Maesteg Cemetery


Penarth Pier

And for anyone wondering how the photos from the P25 back compares to an m43 camera... the sensor size of the P25 is four times the size of that in my E-M5 (original version) and the image quality is better - but only just. The E-M5 runs the medium format back pretty close (but the P25 is ten years older of course). And the E-M5 is far more flexible in ISO. The P25 is unusable above 400, and it's best not to go over 200 if you can help it.

If I wanted to shoot digital only the E-M5 would make far more sense, but as an add-on to what to me is a primarily film camera, the P25 is ideal.
__________________
Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cariadus For This Useful Post:
Jax (24th January 2019), Naughty Nigel (25th January 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Keith-369 (24th January 2019), Naughty Nigel (25th January 2019), Ricoh (24th January 2019), Simon Bee (24th January 2019)
  #2  
Old 24th January 2019
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 5,528
Thanks: 580
Thanked 392 Times in 350 Posts
Likes: 765
Liked 1,773 Times in 1,065 Posts
Re: Hasselblad H1

Roger you mention the sensor of the P25 is 4x the size of the EM5. Since the area of the MFT senior is 1/4 of 135 FF (35mm) that makes the P25 the size of 35mm FF. In other words the digital back is not MF. Sounds odd.

Excellent photos of course.
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24th January 2019
cariadus's Avatar
cariadus cariadus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Barry, Vale of Glamorgan
Posts: 1,350
Thanks: 10
Thanked 140 Times in 129 Posts
Likes: 10
Liked 123 Times in 66 Posts
Re: Hasselblad H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Roger you mention the sensor of the P25 is 4x the size of the EM5. Since the area of the MFT senior is 1/4 of 135 FF (35mm) that makes the P25 the size of 35mm FF. In other words the digital back is not MF. Sounds odd.

Excellent photos of course.
Ah OK, it's more than 4 times the size then. It's double the size of 35mm full frame.

And thanks!
__________________
Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (24th January 2019)
  #4  
Old 24th January 2019
Keith-369 Keith-369 is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North West England
Posts: 1,184
Thanks: 65
Thanked 136 Times in 119 Posts
Likes: 582
Liked 382 Times in 206 Posts
Re: Hasselblad H1

Very nice work.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24th January 2019
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,847
Thanks: 138
Thanked 208 Times in 177 Posts
Likes: 414
Liked 284 Times in 180 Posts
Re: Hasselblad H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadus View Post
Ah OK, it's more than 4 times the size then. It's double the size of 35mm full frame.

And thanks!
Great images as usual Roger.

The P25 sensor is indeed twice the size of 35mm digital/film which in turn makes it 8 times larger than the 4/3 sensor. Being CCD its best ISO is indeed at 400 or below and at those levels the tonal range is wonderful. I sold my H3Dii 39MP some years ago, the realisation of its future depreciation ( cost 12k S/H , they now go for about 3k ) and Hasselblads fees for maintaining it made me see sense. However buying such a camera now is much less of a financial risk for an amateur though if I were to do so again I would go the route you have and get a H1 or H2 as you can also use a film back on it. Whilst the H3 series used a detachable digital back it was/is an 'integrated' system and will only work with a digital Hasselblad back.

For me where such cameras really show their difference is in super size enlargements. I have many images on my Mac Pro that were shot on the 39mp 'Blad and even when zoomed in 200% the detail s staggering.

I think for anyone wanting to shoot landscapes or portraits on modern medium format the Hasselblad H1 is a compelling option, it may not look like a traditional 'Blad but it handles like a dream.

BTW, I'm still shooting primarily on film, these days with Nikons .... FM3a, F4, F5 and two F6 one of which I ordered brand new last April, they are still built to order, cost a 'few bob' but I have for many years wanted a 'new' one and it's such a wonderful 35mm AF camera. IMO it's the best AF 35mm ever made.

My 'digital fix' has for some time been two Pen-F , they are wonderful digital bodies and with the 12mm, 25mm, 45mm small primes in a small satchel are perfect for the street. I spent two weeks in Japan back in October and took only the PEN's as I knew I was going to shoot a lot of images( must get around to posting some on here ). Japan is amazing so I'm going back early this December and may this time also take the FM3a.

Anyway back on track, excellent images as always.
Kind regards, Simon.
__________________
One should take the "PLANK" out of one's own eye before trying to take a "splinter" out of someone else's
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24th January 2019
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 7,636
Thanks: 394
Thanked 533 Times in 460 Posts
Likes: 2,321
Liked 1,449 Times in 925 Posts
Re: Hasselblad H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Japan is amazing so I'm going back early this December
When my daughter came back from Japan, she summed it up as a 'weird place, full of weird people!'.

Jim
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (25th January 2019)
  #7  
Old 24th January 2019
cariadus's Avatar
cariadus cariadus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Barry, Vale of Glamorgan
Posts: 1,350
Thanks: 10
Thanked 140 Times in 129 Posts
Likes: 10
Liked 123 Times in 66 Posts
Re: Hasselblad H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Very nice work.
Thanks Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Great images as usual Roger.

The P25 sensor is indeed twice the size of 35mm digital/film which in turn makes it 8 times larger than the 4/3 sensor. Being CCD its best ISO is indeed at 400 or below and at those levels the tonal range is wonderful. I sold my H3Dii 39MP some years ago, the realisation of its future depreciation ( cost 12k S/H , they now go for about 3k ) and Hasselblads fees for maintaining it made me see sense. However buying such a camera now is much less of a financial risk for an amateur though if I were to do so again I would go the route you have and get a H1 or H2 as you can also use a film back on it. Whilst the H3 series used a detachable digital back it was/is an 'integrated' system and will only work with a digital Hasselblad back.

For me where such cameras really show their difference is in super size enlargements. I have many images on my Mac Pro that were shot on the 39mp 'Blad and even when zoomed in 200% the detail s staggering.

I think for anyone wanting to shoot landscapes or portraits on modern medium format the Hasselblad H1 is a compelling option, it may not look like a traditional 'Blad but it handles like a dream.

BTW, I'm still shooting primarily on film, these days with Nikons .... FM3a, F4, F5 and two F6 one of which I ordered brand new last April, they are still built to order, cost a 'few bob' but I have for many years wanted a 'new' one and it's such a wonderful 35mm AF camera. IMO it's the best AF 35mm ever made.

My 'digital fix' has for some time been two Pen-F , they are wonderful digital bodies and with the 12mm, 25mm, 45mm small primes in a small satchel are perfect for the street. I spent two weeks in Japan back in October and took only the PEN's as I knew I was going to shoot a lot of images( must get around to posting some on here ). Japan is amazing so I'm going back early this December and may this time also take the FM3a.

Anyway back on track, excellent images as always.
Kind regards, Simon.
Thanks Simon. Would love to visit Japan. Maybe one day...

The H3DII is probably a much better digital camera than the previous H cameras, including the H3D (one integrated battery, better cooling, better screen etc) but definitely no good for me as it can't take film backs. If I was going to get a 'newer' body it would probably be the H4X - but that's very unlikely. The H4X, H5X and H6X can all take film backs. If you had 6000-odd to spare you could buy a brand new H6X and use film with it.

Interesting that you've gone the Nikon route. I've never owned a Nikon camera - nor Canon for that matter. Not really sure why. The F6 is definitely a very sexy looking camera.
__________________
Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hasselblad story drmarkf The lounge 7 30th June 2017 07:40 PM
BIF with a Hasselblad cariadus Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion 12 28th June 2013 06:44 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:50 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger