Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 15th October 2015

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts
Newly serviced E-M1 has died while making wifi transfer!

Oh no, this isn't good. My E-M1 has just been back from Service Plus for a fix to the rear dial issue, had three outings including today, and then while transferring photos via wifi has mysteriously died!

I thought at first that it was a battery in need of charge but after trying 3 batteries which work fine in another E-M1, it is clearly a camera issue. I've also added the battery grip on, but this makes no difference.
Having tried various things to get it working I think I'm admitting defeat. There's no unusual smell, so I don't think that there's any major internal fault or shortcurcuit. It seems strange that it happened while transferring photos via wifi as the camera was just still on the table, with nothing being moved or shaken.
So whether this is an internal fault or loose connection arising from the fixing of the top plate during its service, which possibly seems most logical, or something else remains to be seen. Unfortunately though I guess it'll be another visit to Service Plus!

If anyone has any ideas for getting the camera to work or had anything similar, could they let me know as I am on short travels intending to do some photography near Cheddar Gorge over the next few days! I have my PEN E-PK6 with me fortunately so that will be stand in!
So I'm definitely not a happy bunny this evening!
Regards
Chris
Old 15th October 2015

Re: Newly serviced E-M1 has died while making wifi transfer!

5-10 minutes later, and having left the camera for a while, I managed to switch it back on ... less than a minute later though the camera has switched itself off again and absolutely nothing will make it come back on.
If I leave it again for a few minutes it will again briefly come on before switching itself off.
So, as the camera hasn't really been moved, maybe the problem is to do with the circuitry diodes, capacitors, who knows what. I'm no expert with circuitry so I'll leave the solution to others...but Service Plus can expect a camera return when I get back north!
Regards
Chris
Old 15th October 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi Chris sorry to here your problem, that does sound like a capacitor breaking down, or a diode on main circuit board, either way could mean a circuit board replacement.

Dave
catkins (15th October 2015)
Old 15th October 2015

To add to the weirdness: I've left it for another 15 minutes, switched it on, and now have managed to finish transferring the last 25 photos from today's shoot!
So to add to the story:
Today's shoot was at Yorkshire Sculpture Park in mixed conditions, cool, a little rain but camera kept fairly dry - flash cover et al are in place. No problems at all while there. Camera then in car boot while I travelled south, then brought inside. Camera was dry.
Then brought camera into a warm room and an hour later, I started making a wifi transfer of photos. Camera died while midway through transfer. Four different batteries tried with no joy. All worked in another E-M1.
It then had this phase of coming on briefly after being switched off for a while. And then after longer wait, now seemingly working fine during wifi transfer....bizarre. Would this still link with possible diode or circuitry problem?.
I will try out the camera over the next few days and see if the problem reoccurs.
Thanks for any technical help or opinions in possible cause...I think whatever it is, it will go back for Service Plus to recheck internals.
Regards
Chris
Old 15th October 2015

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

I never like these EM1 drama threads

Hope it sorts itself out.
Old 15th October 2015

I don't mind a little drama...as long as I can work out the logic to help learn! At least Service Plus is a reassurance if an issue occurs, but not all E-M1 users can register ... Can you in Australia or is there a similar scheme!
Regards
Chris
Old 15th October 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Sounds like a problem with the auto power Off/sleep settings. Have you checked these since getting the camera back? Menu "cogs" D refers.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 16th October 2015

Thank you, yes that was checked but it was more random in its timings as it started to come back to life. I'll be out with it for a couple of days so it will be put under its usual workload to see if it replicates and if so why.
All ideas welcome especially as I know nothing about electronics ... but I do have a reasonably analytical brain ... allegedly!
Regards
Chris
Old 16th October 2015

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

Wonder if it got some water or condensation in it?
What lens were you using?

If I am coming in from the cold to a warm atmosphere, I put my camera in a air-tight plastic bag for a couple of hours.

Dave
Old 16th October 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steambuff View Post
Wonder if it got some water or condensation in it?
What lens were you using?

If I am coming in from the cold to a warm atmosphere, I put my camera in a air-tight plastic bag for a couple of hours.

Dave
I did wonder about this as I had been photographing at Yorkshire Sculpture Park in variable conditions including light rain...but the camera was kept under my jacket most of the time and hand over the lens when in in use. So it may have had a little moisture but not enough to concern me at any time. The lens used was the 40-150mm R lens which is not weatherproof. However, this would not in theory affect the camera body and the switch offs?
I've had the camera out today with a variety of lens and I've had further occasional switch offs with nothing yet giving me any new clues to the causes or common aspects to the switch offs.
Regards
Chris
Old 16th October 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Chris!

I was wondering if the fault came on after you have switched to portrait and back again - even after a short length of time. My thought was a possible loose screw inside the camera - when it is tipped up and back again it may or may not land somewhere it causes an issue. Because the screws inside cameras are so small you might not even be able to hear it rattle.

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
catkins (17th October 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
catkins (17th October 2015)
Old 17th October 2015

Ralph, hi and thanks, haven't thought about that ... I tend to be swapping and changing orientation so often that I haven't been aware of an obvious link but then also I haven't been looking to check this, so will add this to list of things to consider.
Something creating a shortcircuit is possible, though thinking about it, the first time it occurred was during a wifi transfer of photos to my iPad when the camera was left sitting on the table for a while without any movement. So some form of internal circuitry overheating or item failing seems possible, the cause of which will need to be checked, as this is happening intermittently every day when I'm out using it.
Regards Chris
Old 17th October 2015

Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,012 Posts
Liked 1,211 Times in 789 Posts

Check the eyelets in case the screw if that is the problem came from one of them.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 17th October 2015

Liked 1,281 Times in 303 Posts

Send it back to Olympus, if the camera is still under warranty you're covered.

Dave
Old 18th October 2015

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
I don't mind a little drama...as long as I can work out the logic to help learn! At least Service Plus is a reassurance if an issue occurs, but not all E-M1 users can register ... Can you in Australia or is there a similar scheme!
Regards
Chris
no idea; can we Ross?