Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12th November 2018
Pistnbroke's Avatar
Pistnbroke Pistnbroke is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 188
Thanks: 28
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Likes: 20
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Easy lens changing

My policy has always been one lens one camera but with only one Olympus and 3 lenses that's not possible . I hate camera bags so that's not going to happen so how do you do it ...take lens off camera ..find lens cap in bag ..fit select new lens remove lens cap fit to camera .now some of this takes three hands etc
So the solution is to mount two 4/3 mounts back to back and suspend them from your belt or whatever . I used two extension tubes and fitted the mounts back to back with a black plastic separator .
So now you have lens no2 hanging from your belt ..you take lens 1 off the camera and fit it into the empty F mount. Then remove lens 2 and fit it to the camera.
If you insist on a camera bag then glue two lens caps back to back and just swop the lenses end for end .
Photo below

[url=http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/100830][/url[/IMG]

The one in the photo is for Nikon but I just ordered a set of extension tubes for 4/3 and will strip and fix them back to back.
there is a commercial version by Peak Designs but not for 4/3.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peak-Desi...53.m1438.l2649
__________________
Retirement cut backs.. 2 x D7200 with 18-140, Nik 10.5 mm D850 with N 28-300, Samyang 14mm Tamy 100-400 + Nikon 200-500mm
Holiday cam .... Olympus OMD M5 + 14mm Panasonic .
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12th November 2018
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 7,658
Thanks: 399
Thanked 534 Times in 461 Posts
Likes: 2,333
Liked 1,450 Times in 926 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistnbroke View Post
If you insist on a camera bag then glue two lens caps back to back and just swop the lenses end for end .
I've ordered 2 lens caps in order to do that.

I'm going to use double sided foam tape to attach them back to back. Good though modern adhesives are, the bond can fail abruptly (and catastrophically) with thermoplastic plastics. Thermosetting plastics are generally safer in this respect. A tape bond will fail progressively hence giving warning.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13th November 2018
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 13,325
Thanks: 1,989
Thanked 1,261 Times in 992 Posts
Likes: 5,003
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,031 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I've ordered 2 lens caps in order to do that.

I'm going to use double sided foam tape to attach them back to back. Good though modern adhesives are, the bond can fail abruptly (and catastrophically) with thermoplastic plastics. Thermosetting plastics are generally safer in this respect. A tape bond will fail progressively hence giving warning.

Jim
Pardon me if I'm misreading you, but what part will the back to back lens caps do? It seems like you're relying on supporting a lens with it. I would want a proper lens mount with locking pin (such as a modified extension tube) for that purpose & screws & nuts to connect them, like this, but maybe I've misunderstood your purpose. For my part, a messenger style bag is my preferred method, or Lowepro Flipside 400 AW.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (13th November 2018)
  #4  
Old 13th November 2018
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 7,658
Thanks: 399
Thanked 534 Times in 461 Posts
Likes: 2,333
Liked 1,450 Times in 926 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Pardon me if I'm misreading you, but what part will the back to back lens caps do? It seems like you're relying on supporting a lens with it. I would want a proper lens mount with locking pin (such as a modified extension tube) for that purpose & screws & nuts to connect them, like this, but maybe I've misunderstood your purpose. For my part, a messenger style bag is my preferred method, or Lowepro Flipside 400 AW.
No, I'm just going to use the back to back set up for storing the lenses compactly and conveniently in a bag without them bumping around into each other. I think that others on the forum have also done it

Jim
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (13th November 2018)
  #5  
Old 13th November 2018
benvendetta's Avatar
benvendetta benvendetta is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pontypool, South Wales
Posts: 3,714
Thanks: 83
Thanked 294 Times in 260 Posts
Likes: 164
Liked 330 Times in 224 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I've ordered 2 lens caps in order to do that.

I'm going to use double sided foam tape to attach them back to back. Good though modern adhesives are, the bond can fail abruptly (and catastrophically) with thermoplastic plastics. Thermosetting plastics are generally safer in this respect. A tape bond will fail progressively hence giving warning.

Jim
I use Araldite with no problem to date. It's a great way of storing two small m43rds primes in a bag that is designed for larger format kit.
__________________
Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (13th November 2018)
  #6  
Old 13th November 2018
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 7,658
Thanks: 399
Thanked 534 Times in 461 Posts
Likes: 2,333
Liked 1,450 Times in 926 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I use Araldite with no problem to date. It's a great way of storing two small m43rds primes in a bag that is designed for larger format kit.
Araldite's great stuff for bonding thermosetting plastics, but the plasticiser used in some (most?) thermo plastics can compromise the bond.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13th November 2018
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 13,325
Thanks: 1,989
Thanked 1,261 Times in 992 Posts
Likes: 5,003
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,031 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Araldite's great stuff for bonding thermosetting plastics, but the plasticiser used in some (most?) thermo plastics can compromise the bond.

Jim
I hate it when some home repairer uses epoxy resin to glue in a violin neck. At least it softens with heat (hairdryer) & I can remove it, but I doubt that sort of heat would soften the glue enough in that situation though, although as it warms enough it can 'creep'.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14th November 2018
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 7,658
Thanks: 399
Thanked 534 Times in 461 Posts
Likes: 2,333
Liked 1,450 Times in 926 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I hate it when some home repairer uses epoxy resin to glue in a violin neck. At least it softens with heat (hairdryer) & I can remove it, but I doubt that sort of heat would soften the glue enough in that situation though, although as it warms enough it can 'creep'.
Not sure what you're saying here, Ross. When an epoxy resin adhesive like Araldite sets, it won't soften with heat. The setting is an irreversible chemical process. I thought animal glue was still used in violins, which softens with heat and facilitates repair of the instrument.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14th November 2018
Jax Jax is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 476
Thanks: 60
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Likes: 236
Liked 126 Times in 83 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Not sure what you're saying here, Ross. When an epoxy resin adhesive like Araldite sets, it won't soften with heat. The setting is an irreversible chemical process. I thought animal glue was still used in violins, which softens with heat and facilitates repair of the instrument.

Jim

Sorry Jim, but that is totally incorrect information.

Araldite remains stable in temperatures up to boiling point but higher temps soften it. Hence it is useless on anything that has a high temp such as ovens, engines, electric heating elements etc. I seem to remember the melting, softening point is 200 degrees centigrade. It will possibly harden again upon cooling but the bond will probably have been compromised.

"Araldite" however is merely a brand name producing numerous epoxy resin glues. There is a high temp variant available but not usually found in DIY outlets.

Jax
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14th November 2018
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 7,658
Thanks: 399
Thanked 534 Times in 461 Posts
Likes: 2,333
Liked 1,450 Times in 926 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I seem to remember the melting, softening point is 200 degrees centigrade. It will possibly harden again upon cooling but the bond will probably have been compromised.
I don't think it melts so much as degrades and breaks down, and on cooling its original properties won't be restored. Epoxy resins are thermosetting resins - they set with heat undergoing an irreversible catalytic process, although the heat can be moderate even room temperature. If I've got an item that I want to bond and it will stand low heat (say 100 C) I'll put it in a cool oven. The nice thing about using moderate heat is that the mixed resin will flow into irregularities and interstices ensuring a good bond. Also any air bubbles are dissipated.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14th November 2018
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 13,325
Thanks: 1,989
Thanked 1,261 Times in 992 Posts
Likes: 5,003
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,031 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Not sure what you're saying here, Ross. When an epoxy resin adhesive like Araldite sets, it won't soften with heat. The setting is an irreversible chemical process. I thought animal glue was still used in violins, which softens with heat and facilitates repair of the instrument.

Jim
If you have anything with it spilt on, try a hair dryer on it & notice how it softens (with a knife or other sharp implement), but maybe it has been 5 minute Araldite. I can pick it off as it does, thankfully. Yes, animal glue (Russian Hide Glue) should be used, but sometimes some people have a go at doing their own repairs & later bring it to be done properly. Then it costs more as I have to undo what they've done. As I mentioned earlier, if a neck had been reglued in with Araldite then heating with a hair dryer I can eventually remove it as it softens. If it's hide glue, then after loosening the edges with a knife the neck then has to be cracked out, since the hide glue goes brittle.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14th November 2018
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 7,658
Thanks: 399
Thanked 534 Times in 461 Posts
Likes: 2,333
Liked 1,450 Times in 926 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
If you have anything with it spilt on, try a hair dryer on it & notice how it softens (with a knife or other sharp implement), but maybe it has been 5 minute Araldite. I can pick it off as it does, thankfully. Yes, animal glue (Russian Hide Glue) should be used, but sometimes some people have a go at doing their own repairs & later bring it to be done properly. Then it costs more as I have to undo what they've done. As I mentioned earlier, if a neck had been reglued in with Araldite then heating with a hair dryer I can eventually remove it as it softens. If it's hide glue, then after loosening the edges with a knife the neck then has to be cracked out, since the hide glue goes brittle.
Is it possible that the amateur epoxy repair was done without removing the remains of the animal glue (I'd bet it was)? In this case it was probably the animal glue underneath that was softening, enabling the removal of the epoxy.

5 min epoxy is pretty inferior to the 14 hr stuff. 5 min epoxy never seems to set 'glass hard' like the longer curing time types.

I've used 'J B Weld' epoxy for building camping stoves. It will stand up to 290 C.

Jim
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (14th November 2018)
  #13  
Old 12th November 2018
Pistnbroke's Avatar
Pistnbroke Pistnbroke is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 188
Thanks: 28
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Likes: 20
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Thanks jim ..glad to see someone has the brain to understand and act !! 10/10
__________________
Retirement cut backs.. 2 x D7200 with 18-140, Nik 10.5 mm D850 with N 28-300, Samyang 14mm Tamy 100-400 + Nikon 200-500mm
Holiday cam .... Olympus OMD M5 + 14mm Panasonic .
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12th November 2018
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 5,354
Thanks: 364
Thanked 1,178 Times in 882 Posts
Likes: 129
Liked 5,639 Times in 1,817 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

This is a nice idea. I think there might be some commercially available contraptions available made expressly for this purpose.
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12th November 2018
Petrochemist Petrochemist is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: N Essex
Posts: 695
Thanks: 35
Thanked 79 Times in 72 Posts
Likes: 201
Liked 115 Times in 84 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

One of my cameras does not have a dust removal system due to being converted to IR. So I always fit a lens back on the body as quickly as possible.
Take cap off the lens I'm going to fit - but the lens down somewhere secure & readily to hand - take lens off camera & fit replacement - then put the initial cap on the new lens.
With smaller lenses there's no need to put the lens down I can hold 2 small lenses OK...


It only gets awkward when the lens I want is currently on my other body.
__________________
Mike
Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
Flickr
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Times wornish General photography discussion 0 21st February 2018 10:10 PM
Changing sunrise Phill D Foto Fair 26 22nd September 2014 08:00 PM
Lens changing when out and about Ricoh Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads 22 3rd July 2014 07:00 AM
Changing system sponner For sale or wanted small ads 31 11th November 2011 09:16 AM
Changing lenses? Janet Olympus E-520 5 15th May 2011 07:14 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:30 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger