Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 14th January 2018

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
EM1 and Canon EF lens via adaptor any good?

I have an EM1 mark 1 with M4/3 lenses and a Canon 5d mk3 and a range of Canon lenses. I am looking to increase the focal range available to me for the EM1 for occasional use only. I have looked at the available telephoto zoom M4/3 lenses but I do not think that anything within my budget will be good enough.

I am now wondering if I would get good results by connecting my Canon 70-300L lens to the EM1 body vi an adaptor. There seem to be a range of these available from cheap and cheerful to more sophisticated. I am considering an adaptor which will offer AF and aperture control. There are a few on Amazon for around 116 which would seem to fit the bill.

Has anyone tried this combination or a similar combination and if so how successful was it?

Any comments/advice would be appreciated.
Old 15th January 2018

Liked 1,350 Times in 696 Posts
Re: EM1 and Canon EF lens via adaptor any good?

Stony ground I'm afraid.

My only very limited experience is trying to use Pentax lenses with the Oly cameras. Alas the Pentax lenses were semi mechanical, so I gave that up fairly quickly, bit the bullet and bought more Oly and MFT lenses.

Actually got quite good money for the old Pentax lenses on Ebay as a consolation...................

My Flickr
Old 15th January 2018

Liked 572 Times in 393 Posts

I don't have any experience of this, but I'm pretty sure we have a few people here who do use Canon lenses on an E-M1. I don't know anything about adapters that provide full control, but another possibility might be the Metabones adapters. As I understand it, they contain optical elements and will take a 35mm full frame format lens and act as a reverse teleconverter - so for example a 200mm f/4 full-frame lens would become 100mm, which gives an angle of view on 4/3 equivalent to 200mm on full frame. It would also give you two extra stops so you would have a 100mm f/2, which could be rather nice. Of course, this may not be what you want if you are looking for extra length.

John
Old 15th January 2018

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
I don't have any experience of this, but I'm pretty sure we have a few people here who do use Canon lenses on an E-M1. I don't know anything about adapters that provide full control, but another possibility might be the Metabones adapters. As I understand it, they contain optical elements and will take a 35mm full frame format lens and act as a reverse teleconverter - so for example a 200mm f/4 full-frame lens would become 100mm, which gives an angle of view on 4/3 equivalent to 200mm on full frame. It would also give you two extra stops so you would have a 100mm f/2, which could be rather nice. Of course, this may not be what you want if you are looking for extra length.

John
Thanks John

I appreciate the comments. The Metabones adaptors do the opposite of what I want so not the solution to my problem I am afraid.

The adaptors I have been looking at have no glass so no risk of loss of IQ. They simply provide an EF mount at the lens end and a M4/3 mount at the camera end. They also have electrical connectors enabling the EM1 body to communicate fully with the Canon lens. Sounds ideal - but do they work in practice? I suppose I could buy one from Amazon and if it does not work return it for a refund!
Old 15th January 2018

Liked 95 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumps1974 View Post
Thanks John

I appreciate the comments. The Metabones adaptors do the opposite of what I want so not the solution to my problem I am afraid.

The adaptors I have been looking at have no glass so no risk of loss of IQ. They simply provide an EF mount at the lens end and a M4/3 mount at the camera end. They also have electrical connectors enabling the EM1 body to communicate fully with the Canon lens. Sounds ideal - but do they work in practice? I suppose I could buy one from Amazon and if it does not work return it for a refund!
There is a lot of information on this exact topic on another site.
Metabones make dumb adapters with no glass and no electrical contacts, they make adapters with all electrical contacts but no glass, giving full exif data and full single auto focus. They also do a Speedbooster that has glass and full electrical contacts and both reduces the focal length of the lens being adapted, and widens its aperture.
I have the Oly M1/1 and a lonely Canon 400/5.6L left over from my Canon days which I still use on an old Canon body for birding. In my quest to use the Canon lens on the M1/1, I bought a Commlite Comix AF adapter giving exif data and auto focus. It came from Amazon for about 135; I would have bought the highly respected Metabones but at the time the price was almost 400, now down to 340 from "lensadapter4u" in the UK. I posted a mini review here saying the Commlite appeared to work well. Unfortunately my first impressions did not last long. It focusses very quickly, but unfortunately once the images can be viewed critically, focus is never good enough. The adapter is now just a useless paper weight. I have considered buying a Metabones, but the 340 added to the price that I could get for the Canon lens, would almost buy a panny 100-400mm. Nothing like as good a lens but it would have full functionality which adapted lenses never do. No adapter to mtf bodies provides continuous auotfocus for instance. My advice is that if you have a stack of Canons, buy a Metabones adapter. They are highly regarded and it appears that within what they can do, they perform well.
Old 15th January 2018

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyC View Post
There is a lot of information on this exact topic on another site.
Metabones make dumb adapters with no glass and no electrical contacts, they make adapters with all electrical contacts but no glass, giving full exif data and full single auto focus. They also do a Speedbooster that has glass and full electrical contacts and both reduces the focal length of the lens being adapted, and widens its aperture.
I have the Oly M1/1 and a lonely Canon 400/5.6L left over from my Canon days which I still use on an old Canon body for birding. In my quest to use the Canon lens on the M1/1, I bought a Commlite Comix AF adapter giving exif data and auto focus. It came from Amazon for about 135; I would have bought the highly respected Metabones but at the time the price was almost 400, now down to 340 from "lensadapter4u" in the UK. I posted a mini review here saying the Commlite appeared to work well. Unfortunately my first impressions did not last long. It focusses very quickly, but unfortunately once the images can be viewed critically, focus is never good enough. The adapter is now just a useless paper weight. I have considered buying a Metabones, but the 340 added to the price that I could get for the Canon lens, would almost buy a panny 100-400mm. Nothing like as good a lens but it would have full functionality which adapted lenses never do. No adapter to mtf bodies provides continuous auotfocus for instance. My advice is that if you have a stack of Canons, buy a Metabones adapter. They are highly regarded and it appears that within what they can do, they perform well.
Thanks Kenny

There was a lot in your post to consider and I appreciate your input. However 340 is more than I am willing to invest. I only need this extra reach very occasionally and I am looking for a less expensive solution.

I have pretty much decided to try the Commlite and I am not concerned about the lack of continuous AF. The updated Commlite version would seem to offer me everything I need and if focus is not good enough not I could always return it.
Old 15th January 2018

Mine is the so-called updated version of the Commute though nobody knows what updated actually means. All I wanted from the Commute was single auto focus and control of the lens aperture. I think you are probably wasting your money. At least there are published literature for the Metabones adapters showing which Canon lenses they work with and how effectively they work. Commlite in a fairly undocumented entity and unlike the Metabones ithasno facility for updating the firmware. Metabones seemtohave an ongoing program of development and firmware updates.
Old 16th January 2018

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Mine is the so-called updated version of the Commute though nobody knows what updated actually means. All I wanted from the Commute was single auto focus and control of the lens aperture. I think you are probably wasting your money. At least there are published literature for the Metabones adapters showing which Canon lenses they work with and how effectively they work. Commlite in a fairly undocumented entity and unlike the Metabones ithasno facility for updating the firmware. Metabones seemtohave an ongoing program of development and firmware updates.
Kenny

You should get a job selling for Metabones.

I appreciate the advice but as stated in my previous post there is no way I am going to be spending that sort of money on something I might use 2 or 3 times a year..
Old 16th January 2018

Exactly my own thoughts, which is why I wasted 130 on the Commlite.
Old 16th January 2018

Liked 754 Times in 352 Posts

Hi Kenny

I am thinking of getting a speedbooster (no glass) version to go from panasonic M4/3 to Canon to utilise a couple of good lenses. I am interested in your experience and all of the others who have tried. I am not interested in anything beyond or less than the full electronic compatibility. In your experiences and readings do you have any recommended sites and people to read and watch.

At the UK Birdfair panasonic have had a stand showing the use of adapted lenses alongside digiscoping and other integrations. I think they tend to come out as more compatible but I am just reading at the moment. I shall need to check if they have a dedicated panasonic team to talk to.

useful inputs.

regards

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 16th January 2018

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Exactly my own thoughts, which is why I wasted 130 on the Commlite.
Do you want to sell the Commlite (or paperweight as you call it)?
Old 16th January 2018

Quote:
Do you want to sell the Commlite (or paperweight as you call it)?
Absolutely. 50 including postage, cash transfer to my bank, and it is yours. Send me a pm if interested.
Old 16th January 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Hi Kenny

I am thinking of getting a speedbooster (no glass) version to go from panasonic M4/3 to Canon to utilise a couple of good lenses. I am interested in your experience and all of the others who have tried. I am not interested in anything beyond or less than the full electronic compatibility. In your experiences and readings do you have any recommended sites and people to read and watch.

At the UK Birdfair panasonic have had a stand showing the use of adapted lenses alongside digiscoping and other integrations. I think they tend to come out as more compatible but I am just reading at the moment. I shall need to check if they have a dedicated panasonic team to talk to.

useful inputs.

regards
I am afraid I am a regular user of dpreview.com and among their forums they have an "adapted lenses" thread. A lot has been written about a number of AF adapters mainly Metabones but also Kippon and a little about Commlite. Commlite seems to be the bottom of the pile and also the cheapest. It is a well made item but sadly my own is a waste of space because although it seems to snap into focus quickly, the focus is not accurate enough. The firmware is fixed and not capable of updating. Kippon is quite expensive and fairly well regarded and I believe it has has updatable firmware. The most common and most expensive is the Metabones, which I have resisted because the current uk price from the importers "lensadapter4u" of 340 is a bit too much. The advantage of metabones is that they have lists of Canon lens compatibilities showing speed and reliability of focus etc. They also seem to be continually looking at updating the operation of the adapter and updating the firmware. Updating on an Oly is just like other lens and body firmware update, you plug the body/adapter/lens into your computer and you use the Oly updater in the normal way. There is a lot of experience with Metabones on the dpr forums. Sorry if I sound like a sales pitch for Metabones, this is just as I am keenly watching the current state of adapters.
Bear in mind that all adapters have their limitations. There is no adapter from Canon to mft that allows C-AF, all at best allow S-AF only. It also seems that speed of focus will not be as good as a native mft lens, and will certainly vary lens to lens. A small number of niche Canon lenses may not AF at all even with a metabones. Most adapters transmit exif data, though for instance the Commlite does not do enough to set the ibis on my M1/1 to 400mm when my Canon 400/5.6 is mounted.
My interest in adapters is that I am convinced that my Canon 400/5.6L must be a far sharper lens than the only native mft lens at that length, and I would really like to prove that to myself. Manual AF on the M1 proves that fact, but I just cannot get on with MF any more. I do know that in my case birding with a dslr is much easier that with my M1, but after nearly 3 years of mft use, I almost detest using the Canon dslr, not because of its bulk, which is of no concern even at my advanced 78 years of age, but because of all the facilities at hand with mft compared with the antiquated ponderous Canon.
Just bite the bullet and buy the Metabones. The good thing is that they rarely come up used on ebay, and the ones that have appeared lately cost more than the current new price. So you always have a loe loss escape route if it doesn't work out for you.
Ihave not mentioned the Metabones "Speedbooster" adapters becuase you are not of interest to you. They have glass elements and they reduce the effective focal length of the lens in use and they increase the effective aperature of the lens. I so happens they they cost in excess of 600 a throw.
Old 16th January 2018

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Absolutely. 50 including postage, cash transfer to my bank, and it is yours. Send me a pm if interested.
Hi Kenny

Worth a punt at that price. I will send you a PM but for the record can you confirm it is the updated one which provides AF, aperture control, lens IS function and exif please?
Old 16th January 2018

Liked 166 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Hi Kenny

Worth a punt at that price. I will send you a PM but for the record can you confirm it is the updated one which provides AF, aperture control, lens IS function and exif please?
This is a thread on a bird watching forum,its long and can get boring but in it you may find some good info.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=245710