Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 2nd November 2017

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts
Re: Luminar 2018 Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Itís housekeeping - a matter of course for all apps. My apologies to users of PS and LR, no slant against the software was intended. Thank you
Ok.. that's alright - I was just trying to find out if you'd had a problem... no slant taken!
Gate Keeper (3rd November 2017)
Old 3rd November 2017

Liked 249 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Thanks guys. I went back to the McPhun site and had a look around, and am impressed. I use LR5 for all my stuff these days, cannot remember the last time I opened Photoshop. I like the idea of being able to use layers without having to open another programme.
Good morning sir! Just read on the Skylum support group that a trial will be available from November 16.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Old 3rd November 2017

Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts

Ahhh... there's the choice! Wait until the 16th and try it free, or jump now based on reviews and get the 10% price discount!

I've decided to buy it now as a pre-release, and will be allowed to download it on the 16th as it looks better than yet another update to Photoshop Elements. (There's a money back guarantee for 30 days if you buy from MacPhun.)

Chris

Edit: Oops, that's a 17% discount for pre-ordering!

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 4th November 2017

Liked 895 Times in 431 Posts

If Luminar 2018 can import my Lightroom catalog then I will certainly consider it. I have played around with a trial of the current version and it does have lots of features, but I found it easy to learn. It does however use a lot of computing resource and feels a bit slow at times. Running basic noise reduction for example takes quite some time. So it does need a fairly powerful system. The latest incarnation of Lightroom is noticeably faster.

I have also looked at Affinity Photo which is certainly a match for Photoshop but not as easy to get to grips with.

The big advantage of the Adobe apps is there is a huge aftermarket in Plugins, Filters and tutorials available which are not yet available for these new young apps.

My Flickr
Old 16th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Thanks guys. I went back to the McPhun site and had a look around, and am impressed. I use LR5 for all my stuff these days, cannot remember the last time I opened Photoshop. I like the idea of being able to use layers without having to open another programme.
Good morning Dave, did you decide in the end to use Luminar 2018 and if so, what are your thoughts about it?

Phil
Old 16th May 2018

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Re: Luminar 2018 Anyone?

Hi, i have both lightroom and Luminar, i use them both at different times and find Luminar a great bit of software.hope this helps, also you can buy a down load book on how to use the software.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Gate Keeper (19th May 2018)
Old 16th May 2018

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts

I've been using Luminar 2018 since late last year. It has stability problems on Windows with certain graphics cards. The promised DAM to make it a realistic replacement for LR has not yet materialised and still seems some way off. Because of this, I've requested and received a refund. I may try it again when the DAM appears.

I strongly recommend you try it out before purchase.
Old 16th May 2018

Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts

I purchased luminar 2018 just a couple of months back to take over from iPhoto giving me more freedom and itís very good, I donít have any problems with itís power needs on my MacBook Pro which to be fair is new. I was a little disappointed it did not do blending (bracketing) for my landscape photography but it is very capable and very good value. I then bought their Aurora hdr which does cater for blending etc. Their support backup was excellent and on both purchases after talking to the support team gave me great discounts. Both softwares work with my now aged iPhoto as plugins.

I am now awaiting their DAM to complete my move from iPhoto and Aperture should be here by the end of the year. I am definitely not that great with PP and computers but the skylum software is quite easy to get along with.
Kind regards Mike.
Old 19th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
Hi, i have both lightroom and Luminar, i use them both at different times and find Luminar a great bit of software.hope this helps, also you can buy a down load book on how to use the software.
I am okay with the software and have been using LR for years and Luminar 2017 and then 2018. I did buy the Aurora HD and rarely use it. That product for me was a waste of money. I was curious if Sapper went onto buy Luminar or not, as he had asked about it. Thank you for your reply and commenting.

Phil