Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Advanced Manual?

Is there an advanced user guide? Iím sure I read a comment on here that mentioned it and joked about it being a heavy book! (I canít for the life of me find the reference again!)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
Re: Advanced Manual?

You could do worse than take a look at The Complete Guide to Olympus' OM-D E-M1 Mark II by Tony Phillips.

You can buy it as paperback or as a pdf file (has the advantage of being able to print off just the parts which you feel relevant at any one time .... and it's cheaper). There is also a guarantee that you get your money back (within two weeks) if you don't like it.

Find it here - https://friedmanarchives.com/OlympusE-M1-2/index.htm

Hope that helps
Keith
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

All the Olympus manuals are listed here: http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/supp...l/pen.cfm#lens

With the OM-D E-M1 MkII manuals being shown at the top of the page. (You need to choose either the v1 or the v2 manual depending on whether or not you've updated the firmware yet. (I'd recommend it!)

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Cheers Keith. I was hoping more for an official Olympus tome (and free!) rather than a 3rd party one. An official one would hopefully get quickly updated for firmware changes.
There have been a couple of supposedly good 3rd party ones I’ve seen recommended, including this one but for some reason I’ve never got around to actually buying one. Maybe this time in the absence of an official one. Thanks again for the speedy reply.
Old 1 Week Ago

See my post just above yours Tim.

This is the 201 page Olympus manual, not the basic multi-language version

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
All the Olympus manuals are listed here: http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/supp...l/pen.cfm#lens

Chris
Thanks Chris, Iíve already downloaded that. For some reason Iíve got it in my head that the supplied manual actually stated ĎBasic User Guideí but looking at the downloaded copy it says nothing of the sort! Then I read earlier about needing strong arms to lift the ĎAdvancedí guide (which thread I can no longer find)
Itís all come about because I got a second body today and was struggling with duplicating various settings and wondered if (no idea why!) an advanced manual might help.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
See my post just above yours Tim.

This is the 201 page Olympus manual, not the basic multi-language version
Chris, does the paper manual,assuming there is one in the box, say ĎBasicí on it?
Iíve been working from the downloaded version and never even opened any manual that might or might not have been in the box. In fact I downloaded the manual prior to buying the first body last summer.

Tim
Old 1 Week Ago

The manual I found in the box is indeed stated to be the 'Basic Manual' on the front cover, and only has 9 pages in English!

Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Itís all come about because I got a second body today and was struggling with duplicating various settings and wondered if (no idea why!) an advanced manual might help.
I haven't tried this myself, but seem to remember it being mentioned in another thread on this forum... but can't you save your settings from the first body onto your PC/Mac via the Olympus Camera Updater software, and then load them onto the second body?? Or does it know they are different bodies and stop you doing this??

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Haven’t tried that common sense solution yet. Updated both to 2.1 (Orig was at 2.0 from earlier update and new body arrived with 1.3) and set about seeing if I remembered all the tweaks I’d done. That was fine until SCP / black background thing (yes, lens cap was on which totally threw me for a minute or two - that was the point I felt the need for and advanced manual, should have realised I needed a numpties guide!).
I’ll give it a go tomorrow if I get a chance. Thanks.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
I haven't tried this myself, but seem to remember it being mentioned in another thread on this forum... but can't you save your settings from the first body onto your PC/Mac via the Olympus Camera Updater software, and then load them onto the second body?? Or does it know they are different bodies and stop you doing this??

Yes, you can do it, that is one of the reasons for it. For example suppose you lose your camera and get a new one. You can get it fully configured in a few minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Growltiger For This Useful Post:
TimP (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,318 Times in 801 Posts

Apparently Southampton are running an MSc on the EM1 MkII; one year full time or three year's part time. Just think, you will get to wear a lovely graduation cap and gown at the end, and assuming you are diligent with your studies there's a reasonable chance you will become a competent EM1 user.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

That’s just one subsection of the MSc surely? Otherwise the camera will be discontinued before the end of the course!
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mastering the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II by Darrell Young is the book to get. It won't be available until June 8th according to Amazon. Darrell has written numerous "Mastering" books on Nikon D850, D750, D810, and others. I purchased a couple of the Nikon books before I sold all my Nikon gear and entirely switched to Olympus.

His books are very thorough and cover every possible aspect and possibility. He usually suggests what he believes is the best setting to use. His books are full of illustrations showing all the setup options, how to access them, etc. His book index is also very complete. It will be interesting to see how he handles the Em1 Mark II.

He has a couple of Kindle books about specialized topics related to the EM1MKII. You could purchase one of those to get an idea of his writing style, etc. since the Kindle versions are not all that costly. They are High Res Shot with the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and Focus Stacking with the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II.

I've looked, purchased, or considered most of the suggested books listed in this thread and still, I pre-ordered Darrell Young's book.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sing141 For This Useful Post:
TimP (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Apparently Southampton are running an MSc on the EM1 MkII; one year full time or three year's part time. Just think, you will get to wear a lovely graduation cap and gown at the end, and assuming you are diligent with your studies there's a reasonable chance you will become a competent EM1 user.
Having just come back from the Peckforton Castle Olympus Experience Day, I can only suggest that the experts present had all passed with flying colours!

And yes the 45mm f1.2 is a lovely lens, but how the hell can I justify buying it