Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 16th May 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Charities (current affairs)

I was not altogether surprised that the 92 year old lady committed suicide this week, partly because of badgering by charities, even after she'd set up 27 (IIRC) standing orders to give to them. I'm afraid charities are biting the hand that feeds them.

We give on standing order to two charities every month; yet they send raffle ticket books, ring us (I give 'em short shrift!) and are always trying to get more out of us. We're RSPB members; they do the same. Same with campaign groups; you sign up to one, you get a dozen others constantly pestering you via your Inbox.

I find that it's very much hardening our attitude towards giving to charities. People give because they WANT to, not because they are bullied into it.

I also think there are far too many charities in this country; around 180,000 at the last count, and increasing by about 5,000 per month. This is nonsensical. People clearly cannot give 'generously' to all of those.

The government want us to support the poor, etc, through charities rather than the state supporting the poor. But if people become hardened to the constant badgering, that will demonstrably fail. Judging by some of this forum members' comments, this may affect them in the future, when they need support.

I'm wondering what the view of others here is.
Old 16th May 2015

Liked 1,646 Times in 1,123 Posts
Re: Charities (current affairs)

I don't think the problem is so much charities as charity collectors, who are paid a commission for every new standing order they sigh up. They are a pest on the high street, and have started knocking on our door with increasing regularity, even though we have a 'No Cold Callers' notice prominently displayed. And then there are the phone calls......

(Our home telephone line is ex-directory and registered with the TPS, but charity collectors seem to think that they are somehow exempt, and just try to make you feel guilty for being mean.)

I refuse to give anything to these people, but do voluntarily support certain charities by giving freewill donations throughout the year.

The problem, I suspect, is that charities, like every other business, are having to compete harder for our money than ever before, and so are resorting to ever more aggressive tactics.

I would agree that there probably are too many charities. There seem to be dozens of cancer charities, for example, when surely three or four would do a better job of getting money where it is needed? And every time there is a serious incident or tragedy reported on the news somebody wants to set up a new charity to support the victims; which may be very laudable, but in many cases is unnecessary and ill thought out.

As for the number of charities, don't forget the figure of 180,000 will include churches, (most parish churches are registered charities in their own right), fund raising bodies for churches, such as "The Friends of Durham Cathedral", public schools, (many of which are run as charitable trusts) and other charitable organisations that don't shake tins on the high street.

The RNLI is one of our biggest national charities, but I believe some individual lifeboat stations may run as separate charities, or will have a fund raising organisation that is run as a charity, so swelling the numbers even further.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 16th May 2015

Liked 358 Times in 163 Posts

Don't forget all the organisation that have charitable status, that shouldn't really be charities. I have direct debits for the RSPCA and a charity that helps blind children in the third world. The RSPCA calls me several times a year to try and get me to increase my monthly donation (which is by no means a small sum).

And don't get me started on the ever increasing pay levels of executives who run charities*.

* Because you know they're just so talented and they might go elsewhere...
Old 16th May 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,355 Times in 796 Posts
Unhappy Re: Charities (current affairs)

I have a stock response to the calls asking for more money:

"What charity would you have me stop giving to, so that I can give you more?"

None have yet managed to come up with a reply to that...

The one that really annoys me the most, is a caller that clearly has a strong foreign accent and starts by saying "Hello my name is Harry, Fred or whatever"

When I ask them to tell me their real name, they eventually do so and it's certainly not what they first said. I hate being deceived from the outset of a conversation, so ask to speak to their supervisor. I've had several "chats" like this and none end well for them...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 16th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I don't think the problem is so much charities as charity collectors, who are paid a commission for every new standing order they sigh up. They are a pest on the high street, and have started knocking on our door with increasing regularity, even though we have a 'No Cold Callers' notice prominently displayed. And then there are the phone calls......

(Our home telephone line is ex-directory and registered with the TPS, but charity collectors seem to think that they are somehow exempt, and just try to make you feel guilty for being mean.)

I refuse to give anything to these people, but do voluntarily support certain charities by giving freewill donations throughout the year.

The problem, I suspect, is that charities, like every other business, are having to compete harder for our money than ever before, and so are resorting to ever more aggressive tactics.

I would agree that there probably are too many charities. There seem to be dozens of cancer charities, for example, when surely three or four would do a better job of getting money where it is needed? And every time there is a serious incident or tragedy reported on the news somebody wants to set up a new charity to support the victims; which may be very laudable, but in many cases is unnecessary and ill thought out.

As for the number of charities, don't forget the figure of 180,000 will include churches, (most parish churches are registered charities in their own right), fund raising bodies for churches, such as "The Friends of Durham Cathedral", public schools, (many of which are run as charitable trusts) and other charitable organisations that don't shake tins on the high street.

The RNLI is one of our biggest national charities, but I believe some individual lifeboat stations may run as separate charities, or will have a fund raising organisation that is run as a charity, so swelling the numbers even further.
I'll bet the churches, RSPB, RSPCA, etc wouldn't add up to much more than 1000. 180,000 is an awful lot of charities! BUT - I just looked up the number; there were 170,905 in 2009. If they've been added to at the rate of 5000/month, potentially that's another 300,000. But the figure of 170,905 is "general charities" - excluding the schools, some trade unions, housing associations, etc.

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter how many there are, it's how they behave that matters. I read a piece in the press this morning that said they often target old people because they are easier to persuade. That is quite reprehensible, surely?
Old 16th May 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi The trouble is that if they are unemployed for what ever reason, they are made to go on one of these schemes in order to continue receiving there entitled to benefits whilst stiill looking for work, or they get sanctioned then don't get any money at all for 6 weeks, then it starts all over again or until they eventually find work if they are lucky.

Dave
Old 16th May 2015

Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts

I think it's more that there are hundreds of charities set up for the same thing. We seem to be in a spiral where charities are constantly being set up in memory of X or Y who died of a certain illness - I'm sure that there are already charities set up already - just raise funds from them. Best thing the big cancer charities did was team up together under a single umbrella - I'm sure it's far more cost effective.

We also have a no cold callers sign on our door - but charity collectors seem to believe it doesn't apply to them as they "are doing good".

Don't get me wrong I do give to charity - I support the local air ambulance, RSPCA and Great Ormond Street (for very personal reasons) but you can't give to everybody.

E-620, 12-40 , 40-150 f4-5.6,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68406149@N08/
Old 16th May 2015

Liked 1,646 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
And don't get me started on the ever increasing pay levels of executives who run charities*.

* Because you know they're just so talented and they might go elsewhere...
And why are so many charities headquartered in some of the most expensive addressees in London?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Homer Simpson (17th May 2015), Internaut (17th May 2015)
Old 17th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
And why are so many charities headquartered in some of the most expensive addressees in London?
Image! And of course their chief execs need nice really plush offices with a beautiful view of the Thames. Why else do you think they want us to give generously? Charities used to be happy with small sums, now they not even happy with big sums.

A classic is the Royal British Legion Poppy Fund. It originally had the purpose - very laudable purpose - of finding work for disabled servicemen from WW1, and then 2. Now the poppies are made in China (where else?) so what has happened to those disabled servicemen? Easy for politicians to talk about "the dignity of work" when they're happy for that work to be given to Chinese peasants, and for the profits to end up in the pockets of Chinese oligarchs.