Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-330

Olympus E-330 E-330 specific discussion.

Old 20th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may as well go first.

As an E-330 devotee I thought I would be the frist to post in thsi section. Only the recent E-3 has more features than the E-330, I cant yet persuade myself I can afford the 1100 to upgrade to IS. I use my E-330 with the new 14-42 and 40-150 f4 lenses. They are minor miracles small, light and with the E-330 I have a 28-300 equiv pocket camera that will go anywhere.
Old 20th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: I may as well go first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn R View Post
As an E-330 devotee I thought I would be the frist to post in thsi section. Only the recent E-3 has more features than the E-330, I cant yet persuade myself I can afford the 1100 to upgrade to IS. I use my E-330 with the new 14-42 and 40-150 f4 lenses. They are minor miracles small, light and with the E-330 I have a 28-300 equiv pocket camera that will go anywhere.
Yep, it's a winner. It's through-the-viewfinder live view is so far unique, and I can only hope that Olympus can see enough potential buyers to make a sequel.

The e330 updated with is and e510 standard high iso would be excellent.

Probably expensive though.
Old 22nd November 2007

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I wish they'd have produced a grip for it - no, it wouldn't be so small, but it suits the way I shoot.

Mark
Old 22nd November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I think about it. This camera was accused of being an ugly duckling on its release. Am I the only one on the planet who think it looks really nice?

Maybe that makes me a freak. I don't care. I think it's a design classic. I wish I had the money for another to store away for when mine wears out.
Old 23rd November 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,230 Posts
Liked 1,644 Times in 736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammo View Post
While I think about it. This camera was accused of being an ugly duckling on its release. Am I the only one on the planet who think it looks really nice?

Maybe that makes me a freak. I don't care. I think it's a design classic. I wish I had the money for another to store away for when mine wears out.
The E-300 did look odd, but I suppose we had got used to it by the time the E-330 arrived and that had some subtle but positive design changes, so I quite like the E-330 look.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 23rd November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:

Who's a Freak? I'm a member of the club! When the E300 came out I was struck by it's design -- I thought it a beauty! The E330 followed suit and looks every bit as good.

I personally don't like the huge mountainous penta-prism housings of most SLRs and DSLRs - they are a necessary evil, I suppose. (As I think about it, one of the things I liked so much about my OM2 is its small 'mountain.')

I hope Oly will look into developing a brighter Porro Mirror viewfinder and maintain the (unique to E330) LiveView 'A' mode in a future model, with a fully articulating screen. The price differential between the E-3 and the Panny L10 shows there is a place for Oly to produce an updated E330 in the next couple of years.
Old 23rd November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabez View Post
Who's a Freak? I'm a member of the club! When the E300 came out I was struck by it's design -- I thought it a beauty! The E330 followed suit and looks every bit as good.

I personally don't like the huge mountainous penta-prism housings of most SLRs and DSLRs - they are a necessary evil, I suppose. (As I think about it, one of the things I liked so much about my OM2 is its small 'mountain.')

I hope Oly will look into developing a brighter Porro Mirror viewfinder and maintain the (unique to E330) LiveView 'A' mode in a future model, with a fully articulating screen. The price differential between the E-3 and the Panny L10 shows there is a place for Oly to produce an updated E330 in the next couple of years.
I would have a serious grin on my face if they did.

For brightness, I gather the splitting of the light between live view sensor and viewfinder is at least partly responsible. Seeing as they're not used at the same time, another flipping mirror could be the way forward. I have no idea if that's possible.

It would be ideal to keep the viewfinder blind thingy though.

To other e330 users. I second the original poster and strongly recommend the 14-42.
Old 23rd November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Re: I may as well go first.

I bought an E 330 in the summer. My 1st Digital and I think it looks good and takes good pictures. The live view is good as well.I use it a lot for low down shots. It came with the 14-45 lens and now has a 40-150 one as well. It did go wrong though when it would not accept either card option but this was quickly fixed by Olympus and now it is all systems go.

Paddy
Old 23rd November 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,230 Posts
Liked 1,644 Times in 736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
I bought an E 330 in the summer. My 1st Digital and I think it looks good and takes good pictures. The live view is good as well.I use it a lot for low down shots. It came with the 14-45 lens and now has a 40-150 one as well. It did go wrong though when it would not accept either card option but this was quickly fixed by Olympus and now it is all systems go.

Paddy
Hi Paddy and welcome to the site!

The E-330 was priced at a real bargain around the time you bought yours - I hope you got a good price.

Looking forward to seeing you more on the forum and maybe see some pix in the gallery?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 28th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ian is right the E-330 was too expensive at launch and too radical for most photographers. The noise is better than earlier Oly's but still not brilliant. I have found the images have a film quality not seen on other cameras. The Tilt screen is a great idea, I have a VA-1 angle finder which I now never use perhaps it should go. I wait for the E-520 or E-340 which will have IS and the image quality of E-3 at a more reasonable price.
Old 6th March 2008

Liked 650 Times in 341 Posts

Hi all,

Me, a very proud owner of the E-330..With all it's faults and short comings, it's a wonderful camera to use.

The E-3 is a wonderful camera..11 AF, IS and all, it still can't beat the E-330 in it's Full time Live View. When the Leica 14-150 came out, I was more than willing to get that for my E-330..I have now added IS to the camera via that lens.

All my garbage so far.
Old 6th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: I may as well go first.

Hi blu-by-u,

I agree the E330 is a wonderful camera - not replaced by the E3 because, as you indicate, it lacks full time live view. But perhaps with the news of the E420 we have a replacement, or is it simply a 'pacifier'?

The auto-focus live view feature of the E420 is surely tempting, but the lack of a swivel screen (like the E3) or the pull-out screen of the E330 is disappointing. How good will the E420 be in macro situations?

I hope my E330 will last me a couple more years, by which time there should be a viable (true) replacement with full time auto-focus live view plus IS and a fully articulating screen at a decent price.

In the mean time I will try to upgrade lenses as when possible to complement my system. I sure would like to see some images taken with your new Leica 14-150 lens -- have you posted any? Particularly low light, widest angle shots at open aperture.

Enjoy your system,

John.
Old 6th March 2008
E-P1 fan

Quote:

I agree but then lots of Oly cameras are design classics... the E-1, the OM-1, the 8080 and definitely the E300/330
Old 7th March 2008

Liked 650 Times in 341 Posts

E-420...not really a true life view as we have on this E-330. I don't know about all of you but I use the LV almost 90% of all my shots. The only time I use the VF is when it's too bright to compose with the LV but by then the VF is just nice. I would not want to change that in anyway. I don't mind the "dark" VF but a bigger would be nicer.

The only upgrades I would like to see in the E-330 would be the IS, a 11 points crosshair AF, a bigger and faster buffer. The sensor at it's current 7.5mp is already more than sufficient for what I shoot with room to spare for cropping. Not necessary to 10mp as this would only increase processing time and storage space.

Don't think this is asking too much off Olympus to give make an upgrade along this lines...

Oh yes, forgot...give us a vertical simple grip...If possible, use the same E-300 grip.

Ah..jabez, I shot mostly using the Leica on my Harbin trip recently. Only swapping occasionally with the 7-14 or the Sigma 105.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blu_pag...7603729088881/

All my garbage so far.
Old 7th March 2008
Xpres

Two reasons I like using the E330 - excellent for macro and the eyepiece is positioned more like that of a rangefinder.