Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 29th July 2009
Chillimonster

Chillimonster's 365 Thread

As i'm now back in Olympus Land i feel at lot more at ease at sharing my 365 (or what remains of it, now we're on day 210!).

The photo's are not meant for critique, but feel free to offer it if you want to - any observations are welcome.

I started the 365 with the aim of catching a year in the life of my two daughters, Caitlin who is 8 (9 in September) and Rebecca who is 12. The big picture is to have the 365 turned into a book in the new year with a copy for the girls' memory boxes, one for my wife and one for my mum.

If anyone wants to catch up with the "Story So Far", please feel free to visit one of the links in my signature. I wont post the history up on here as they were not taken with an Olympus camera, and ther are over 200 shots with narrative.

Anyway...... On with the show......
Old 29th July 2009
Chillimonster

Re: Chillimonster's 365 Thread

"The Day Uncle Ben Came For Tea!!"

Rebecca helped me prepare tea tonight. Uncle Bens Sweet & Sour Chicken with Rice and Garlic Bread.
Old 29th July 2009
ndl0071

It's good to see this thread back where it belongs

I'm glad to see your Rebecca is more helpful than mine, I had to cook a stir fry tonight all on my own as the wife was delayed at work, all I managed to get from my Rebecca was a few choice faces together with a couple of grunts.

Keep up the thread, were all watching you know
Old 29th July 2009
Chillimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndl0071 View Post
It's good to see this thread back where it belongs

I'm glad to see your Rebecca is more helpful than mine, I had to cook a stir fry tonight all on my own as the wife was delayed at work, all I managed to get from my Rebecca was a few choice faces together with a couple of grunts.

Keep up the thread, were all watching you know
Thanks

I suppose i'm lucky in that they both always want to get involved and help out. It wont last forever so i'm taking advantage
Old 30th July 2009
Chillimonster

365-211

"Check-List!"

Rebecca is off to Guide camp for the weekend tomorrow and judging from the amount of luggage she's taking you'd think it was for a two week stay! But then again looking at the weather forcast she'll need a few spare sets of clothes
Old 30th July 2009

Liked 59 Times in 27 Posts
Re: 365-211

Hope she enjoys it... my daughter is off at guide camp this week... I'm dreading to think what state her kit will be in when she gets home.

(your kit list looks more organised than ours )

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 30th July 2009
Chillimonster

Thanks Tracy

If it was up to her she'd be packing in the morning 30 mins before they go, but Kerie (my better half) is the 'organiser' and likes to make sure everything is prepared well in advance
Old 31st July 2009
Chillimonster

"Getting Dialed In!"

I Swapped from a Nikon D700 to an Olympus E-30 earlier in the week and took advantage of a tremendous offer at Jessops and have spend the last few days getting to grips with it. Its a totally different beast to the D700 in many was, not least of which in the way it renders certain colours.

The upshot of this is that my post-processing is having to change and i'm having to re-learn some of the things i did with the D700. I had developed various presets for my B&W processing in Lightroom that only ever needed a minor tweak to get an image how i wanted it, so i will be 're-building' these over the coming week or so and hopefully get back to my usual B&W style.

I think i'm going to like this E-30
Old 31st July 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

I'd be very interested to know what B&W conversion technique you do end up with. I tend to adjust each image imdividually rather than have a set "process" but often it involves techniques akin to using red or yellow filters.

As I've said elsewhere, Great 365

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 31st July 2009
Chillimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I'd be very interested to know what B&W conversion technique you do end up with. I tend to adjust each image imdividually rather than have a set "process" but often it involves techniques akin to using red or yellow filters.

As I've said elsewhere, Great 365

Thanks Graham.

I set up a few presets on Lightroom that emulate various filters, and i have a certain technique with the contrast / blacks / fills etc that is always a good starting point to most of my B&W conversions, with them only needing the slightest tweak to make me happy.
Old 1st August 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

It's great to have this thread back, Chris - saves me nipping over to TP! Whatever processing you use for B&W I certainly like your results.

Glad you like the E30, are you more conscious of noise having used a D700? How are you finding the E30 compared to the E3?

Cheers,

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st August 2009
Chillimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It's great to have this thread back, Chris - saves me nipping over to TP! Whatever processing you use for B&W I certainly like your results.

Glad you like the E30, are you more conscious of noise having used a D700? How are you finding the E30 compared to the E3?

Cheers,

John

Morning John.

I'm pleased to hear that you're still following the 365 (and hopefully enjoying it?!), and i'm glad i seem to have nailed my style with B&W conversions.

As for the noise - i do need to be a little more 'careful' with exposure, but the 3 stops (or more) of IS help in that regard. On screen noise is of course more apparent, but on prints you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference if the final print was cropped the same and the differences in DOF were evened out.

I'm finding the E-30 a joy to use and is a very similar beast to the E-3 in many ways with just a few tweaks here and there. The biggest plus for me is the Mode Dial. Its the main thing that bugged me on the E-3 (and the D700). I really like the 'Level Indicator' on the E-30 and hope that it is carried on to the E-3 successor.
Old 1st August 2009
Chillimonster

"While The Cat's Away...."

Rebecca is away on Guide Camp this weekend so Cailtlin can go into her sisters bedroom without fear of trouble!
Old 1st August 2009
ndl0071

Ooohh that's tempting fate, that is...

Lovely pic once again CM, and I really do like the treatment
Old 1st August 2009
Chillimonster

Thanks Neil.

No doubt it will cause trouble when Rebecca is back on Monday night as she keeps up to date with the 365 pictures and will want to know what's been going on