Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 21st March 2017

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

Hi All

Please can you suggest which memory card is good for OM-D E-M1 Mark II as I have old SD Cards for OM-D E-M1 I can use them but....

I will be going to Rockingham for experience day from Olympus so need UHS II card not able to decide between Lexar or SanDisk.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Memory Card OM-D E-M1 Mark II suggestions

I was recommended to buy SanDisk rather than Lexar by someone from Olympus. On the Mk1 I always used SanDisk so it was a no brainer for me to upgrade to SanDisk again.

However, others might tell you something different
No matter how advanced your camera you still need to be responsible for getting it to the right place at the right time and pointing it in the right direction to get the photo you want. - Ken Rockwell

Say It With A Camera
Photography From North Wales
Flickr
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts

I have a Lexar 32GB 300MB/s card and a Sandisk 32GB 280MB/s card and the Lexar card is noticable faster to use. If you are shooting bursts, choose the Lexar. If not, either will be fine. (I'm assuming earlier issues with larger capacity Lexar cards have been ironed out).
Old 21st March 2017
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

I'm using Lexar UHSII 64GB. Had been having the occasional odd behaviour in camera which I thought was the previously reported firmware issue on some Lexar cards. However since the MKII firmware upgrade which addressed "RAW file stability" I have had no problems.

The point to remember about UHSII is to ensure that you can max out on the read speed as well as the headline burst shooting capability. You need USB3 and a UHSII card reader to use the extra row of card contacts which is what gives the greatly increased speed. Without that read speeds are the same as UHS 1. I get hugely increased read speeds onto my PC which is worthwhile if you have been on a busy shoot and have hundreds of images or away somewhere exotic and have thousands to copy.

Hec
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts

Having heard about the Lexar problems and since Olympus's official tested and supported cards are SanDisk, I stick to SanDisk. I use the 64GB UHS II ones that are marked 300MB/s.
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

Hec

Can you recommend a card reader for the UHS11 cards. Fortunately I have USB3 sockets on the main machine.

Thank you
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

Can you just use the camera as the reader or is a stand alone card reader better?
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

After reading the Speedtest of SD cards in em1.2 some weeks ago, it was apparent to me that Lexar was the only one with real speeds close to advertised ones. Differences were quite significant.

I took the risk to buy two Lexars: no problem after 2-3.000 shots. It seems that first units were faulty or maybe, as mentioned before, it was something fixed with FW 1.1.
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c12402 View Post
After reading the Speedtest of SD cards in em1.2 some weeks ago, it was apparent to me that Lexar was the only one with real speeds close to advertised ones. Differences were quite significant.

I took the risk to buy two Lexars: no problem after 2-3.000 shots. It seems that first units were faulty or maybe, as mentioned before, it was something fixed with FW 1.1.
No, the Lexar problem was specific to only some of their cards and required them to fix the firmware in the cards themselves when they are made. They offered to exchange the faulty cards. Nothing whatever to do with the firmware in the camera.
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 665 Times in 343 Posts

Looking at this thread, I have still not gotten an extra SD chip.

All my garbage so far.
Old 22nd March 2017
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Hec

Can you recommend a card reader for the UHS11 cards. Fortunately I have USB3 sockets on the main machine.

Thank you
I bought a Hama device for which the link from Amazon is below. I'm sure you may be able to get it elsewhere but I'm lazy so did the scary Amazon one click thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N9QD7FC

One additional thing on this is to plug this into the PC rather than a USB hub. That way you are coming straight off the motherboard header and you can be sure of getting maximum bandwidth. I did try mine in a hub and it wouldn't work at all which was unexpected but a non-issue as I have a USB3 socket on the front panel of my PC.

Hope this helps.

Regarding the LEXAR vs Sandisk debate. I did had troubles occasionally before the MK II firmware update but not since so perhaps there was both a Lexar firmware problem plus whatever the problem was that Oly spotted and fixed. On my experience I suspect I had just the latter.

The reason I bought the Lexar was because it was on an excellent offer from MyMemory at the time. I have not seen anything remotely as good since.

cheers

Hec
DerekW (22nd March 2017)
Old 22nd March 2017

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts

I haven't yet bought any specific cards for the E-M1ii, but I have some half-decent Sandisk 80Mbps "Ultra" cards. I've found something quite odd though. These cards perform very badly - taking 2-3 seconds per raw file to write. An older Sandisk "Extreme" card, rated only at 45Mbps manages twice that speed at about a 1 second per file.

I was trying to avoid buying UHS-II cards since I don't really need mega-burst shooting capability, but at 2-3 secs per image, it seriously delays reviewing the image.

Odd...
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 22nd March 2017

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I haven't yet bought any specific cards for the E-M1ii, but I have some half-decent Sandisk 80Mbps "Ultra" cards. I've found something quite odd though. These cards perform very badly - taking 2-3 seconds per raw file to write. An older Sandisk "Extreme" card, rated only at 45Mbps manages twice that speed at about a 1 second per file.

I was trying to avoid buying UHS-II cards since I don't really need mega-burst shooting capability, but at 2-3 secs per image, it seriously delays reviewing the image.

Odd...
Those Ultras at 80Mbps would be the read speed, but what would the write speed be? The Extreme cards would give a higher priority to write speed though or at least I believe the write speed is not so far behind the read speed. I've only been using Extremes for several years (CF before the E-M5).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

IMHO, it's not consistent to spend 2k in a camera and not spending 50-60 in a decent card, leveraging new specs and enabling high-res and Pro Modes....

Write speeds are a territory of Lexar so please, get one at lest of 32GB 2000X and enjoy the new toy! BTW, do not use the second slot if you want speed, the total time writing is limited by that slot using two cards. A silly decision from Olympus...
Old 22nd March 2017

Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 2,273 Times in 1,080 Posts

A quick comment from me who forgot to get a fast SD card when I got the camera. When I got home I realised I'd only got a Medion mini SD card in an adaptor I'd got from Aldi. It was cheap a few months ago and I was going to use it in my phone. It's class 10 but no idea how fast it is, anyway I tried it out and it seemed to work fine so forgot yesterday and thought I'd try out pro capture! It was also set on silent too so I must have set off umpteen shots in the seconds before I realised. Anyway that was it the camera took ages to write to the card, minutes that seemed like hours rather than seconds! Patience was rewarded in the end and I was able to shoot again. So I'm definitely going to get me a couple of those Lexar cards before I try it again