Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th March 2015

Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Re: NO TOP GEAR - This Sunday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjward View Post
Well it is quite clear in my contract - physical violence on a colleague will result in dismissal. If this is true he certainly will not have a sympathy from me.

I don't understand the online petition to get him his job back - he allegedly hit someone, I'm sure if the people who signed the petition were thumped at work they would want the other person sacked. Just because it fits into his image "oh it's just the way he is" is no excuse.
I think the online petition shows just how gullible people can be. They vote for something without knowing or even thinking about why the producers went so far as to cancel TG and suspend Clarkson.

Facts are secondary to knee jerk reactions as 130,00 people have just proved. Blind Faith indeed.

The excuse "Oh, that's just how he is" is as you say, no excuse at all.

I'm sure the facts will trickle out slowly but I'm guessing JC and TG will play it all down as yet another "misunderstanding" as the programme franchise makes them all too much money.
The Following User Liked This Post:
brian1208 (12th March 2015)
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjward View Post
Just because it fits into his image "oh it's just the way he is" is no excuse.
Exactly!

If proven, IMO the BBC have no where to go except show him the door, they cannot, I say CANNOT be blindsided by concern of where the show will go without him.

The fact that such a lot of people have signed on online petition to get him reinstated says an awful lot about the principles of many today, sadly not good ones.

If you hit someone at work .... you got to go, no matter who you are .... END OF STORY.

Kind regards, Simon
brian1208 (12th March 2015), Magus (11th March 2015)
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

It's a guilty pleasure but I reluctantly admit I like the show: In the sense that all other car shows look lame in comparison and they drive cars I will never even see.

The photography is very good indeed, and the mixture of Monty Python meets petrol heads clearly sells well around the world.

Clarkson? He should go, he has become more of a liability than an asset. They could run it with the other two. Fine by me.

However, I also like Mighty Car Mods, two Aussie lads doing mods to cheap cars on their front drive. Now that I can relate to.

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

Worth noting that Top Gear is one of the BBCs top selling programmes? Domestically and abroad with a huge revenue stream in merchandise and exporting the programme and rights/format to other countries.

The ridiculousness of it is the programme; its become entertainment rather than a motoring show.

Whilst I've no time for people who break the rules and generally do some unacceptable things, I have respect for Clarkson. He's from a humble background and has built himself well. Top Gear is risqué by nature, they push the boundaries of an old dog show to produce a cash cow.

I'm not too interested in the review of this years offering of new Euroboxes or Japanese family cars, the hyper cars on there and the challenges make for stunning viewing with a light-hearted overtone and some stunning cinematography.

Disappointing its cancelled, but the right thing has to be done if this is indeed it.
Old 11th March 2015

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Ah well, there's nothing for it, but they'll just have to replace it with Top Gear Australia!

http://www.shanejacobson.com.au/top-gear-australia/

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Chevvyf1 (20th March 2015)
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Not fussed. The programme had become boring long ago.
brian1208 (12th March 2015)
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 419 Times in 201 Posts

All a bit handbags at dawn for me...a programme I enjoyed as it didn't do the 'sensible' box cars, i can go into any showroom for that. The three worked well together, pity that's it's not showing the next 3 episodes...we fortunately don't know the circumstances and neither should we, as if this happened in any work place that is where it would stay to the private attention of those involved.

The BBC has become a very PC TV broadcaster over the last few years, so much so that i don't watch many programmes these days, Breakfast News for me is really annoying now, the cutting edge programmes have long gone, as has the quality comedy...oh well lets put yet another cooking programme on eh. or a another reality show....at least they haven't yet gagged Springwatch yet ......waiting for a bit of controversy from Chris Packham...

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

I hope Top Gear Australia is better than Top Gear USA. I never managed to watch more than 10 minutes of the US version before changing channels. I can't remember the last time I saw it listed on the channel guide so I'm guessing it didn't survive many episodes.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
The BBC has become a very PC TV broadcaster over the last few years, so much so that i don't watch many programmes these days, Breakfast News for me is really annoying now, the cutting edge programmes have long gone, as has the quality comedy...oh well lets put yet another cooking programme on eh. or a another reality show....at least they haven't yet gagged Springwatch yet ......waiting for a bit of controversy from Chris Packham...
The BBC can still do some good things. I enjoyed Wolf Hall recently. Excellent acting, good music, fine settings. Perhaps Clarkson could have stood in for Anne Boleyn.

Lots of toys.
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 419 Times in 201 Posts

I too absolutely loved by Wolf Hall, acting at its very best, and not an advert to spoil the viewing...and yes a few are produced, but they are in danger of losing the plot once in a while....

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 11th March 2015

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I hope Top Gear Australia is better than Top Gear USA. I never managed to watch more than 10 minutes of the US version before changing channels. I can't remember the last time I saw it listed on the channel guide so I'm guessing it didn't survive many episodes.
Well of course it is! It's Australian & not American, but of course, I'm not biased. Mind you, I couldn't get excited with Time Team in the USA at all!

I wonder if the Top Gear Festival in Sydney('s west) in April will still go ahead OK? I would think that it would (in some form without JC) since tickets are being sold for it.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

I didn't know there was a US version of Time Team. We're still getting reruns of the British version.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 11th March 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

I'm sure that Clarkson will survive. By cancelling the rest of the series the BBC have taken the heat off and the issue will be forgotten in approximately 6 months when the next series is ready to air. Thinking about it, they've got the first three episodes of the next series in the can already.....

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 11th March 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

If he's 'guilty' of assault he should be sacked, don't you think. Same 'justice' for the other guy, the producer, if he became 'physical' as well. Very few, if any, work places would tolerate physical assault.

on flickr
Old 12th March 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi everyone!

I think if there has been an assault then it should be a matter for the police - just the same if it had happened in public. If the producer doesn't wish to press charges then the situation cannot have been as serious as the matter has been made out to be in the media.

I certainly don't condone that sort of behaviour, but in such a testosterone fuelled environment I would see it as pretty much inevitable - and I would have thought that the BBC would have realised that too. The whole point of the show seems to be having Clarkson being slightly obnoxious to people around the world (sometimes whilst near a car) - it is hardly surprising if he is obnoxious to his producers as well. If you employ a dinosaur of that ilk you expect his behaviour to be 30 years in the past like his dress sense.

I do however feel sorry for his co-presenters, who due to Clarkson's boorish behaviour may also be out of a job as the BBC may feel it time for a complete re-vamp of the show. To my mind James May and Richard Hammond were the main reason for watching anyway.

It was also interesting to see the Prime Minister on the news defending his "chum" - this close to the election you would think that aligning yourself with a thug wouldn't be the best idea, but obviously David Cameron doesn't see it that way, just as with the "News of the World" fiasco.

Rant over!

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ricoh (12th March 2015), Zuiko (12th March 2015)