Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 13th September 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts
Lightbulb Re: EM1 street and the Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
I was down on the Southbank with a friend last week taking night time shots of Westminster Bridge. We were approached by security and told that we could not use a tripod on the pavement outside the old GLC building as it is private property. <snip>
My Zimmer Frame will have a monopod tie-wrapped to one leg. An comment from "security" will be reported as disability discrimination.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 14th September 2014

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Re: EM1 street and the Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
I was down on the Southbank with a friend last week taking night time shots of Westminster Bridge. We were approached by security and told that we could not use a tripod on the pavement outside the old GLC building as it is private property. First I've heard of that but that was the second time on the Southbank I was stopped using a tripod within the hour. I've never had that happen before and I'm always down there doing long exposures. It made no difference that the friend I was with was still a serving police officer....although he just shortened his tripod legs and placed it on the wall overlooking the river I meant to contact Westminster Council and check out whether it is actually private or public there.
I suspect it's a load of tosh.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 14th September 2014

Thanked 1,248 Times in 937 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts

This is an interesting video:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...cx0p6AoqdIGiAA
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 14th September 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I enjoyed that, particularly the bit where a security worker said, "We don't like our buildings photographed," as if that was reason enough. Don't they realise that they are waving red rags at bulls?

Interesting that the Terrorism Act was being waved around like some magical empowerment, but that those "quoting" it had absolutely no specific knowledge of the Act.

Encouraging that, having made their enquiries as they are obliged to do in the event of a complaint, the police were entirely reasonable, good humoured and well versed in the law.

The security industry needs to wise up to the fact that this is Great Britain (well it is until Scotland votes on Independence), not North Korea and we do not relinquish our freedoms lightly.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 14th September 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Excellent video. Thank you for the link
Lynne
Old 14th September 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
<snip> a security worker said, "We don't like our buildings photographed," <snip>
Unfortunately most security people are on minimum wage, have minimal education and are simply following the instructions of the supervisor. What these companies fail to realise is that they are misrepresenting UK Law, for their own purpose.

It is possible that this could be considered a fraudulent act. It is at least a breach of trust between the company and the public. Most PR/CR executives will not take too kindly to the head of security damaging Public and/or Customer Relations.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...