Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-420

Old 19th March 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts
Re: E-420 converted to full spectrum

Don't forget we have a converted E-PL1 available for hire - £39 inc.VAT (not including delivery) for the minimum three day hire. Here is a sample from this camera:

False colour (red and blue channels swapped)

Mono

Our hire prices are here:

http://e-group.uk.net/hire/prices_january2013.pdf

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 20th March 2013

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Interesting thread, thanks Ralph!
In the past I've played some with IR720 filters on my E-520 and E-30 and C-740UZ before that. I always thought IR-photos look great. But the long exposure times plus the need for a tripod are to blame that I have not produced much in this field.
If you would post an how-2 of your way to convert an E-420, it would be much appreciated. I think I would be willing to risk a total loss of a body in trying - if it seems at all possible for me to do ...

Falk
Chevvyf1 (21st March 2013)
Old 21st March 2013

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Falk!

I'm in the process of putting it together now! should be on in the next few hours (I hope!)

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 21st March 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Falk!

I'm in the process of putting it together now! should be on in the next few hours (I hope!)

Cheers,

Ralph.
WoW ! Someone else woke early
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 21st March 2013

Hi everyone!

Here is the long awaited (because it's taken me ages to get round to it) full spectrum conversion "how I did it". I will say here and now that this is not a set of instructions, I was prepared for the camera to be a total loss, and I cannot and will not be held responsible for any loss or damage to anyone else's cameras from trying this at home! (I don't think anyone here would try to sue me, but you never know!)

I will also give the health and safety warning - camera flashes use high voltages which can remain long after the batteries have been removed. Do not try to short out the flash capacitors as this could cause damage to you and the camera - I just left the battery out for several hours before starting, but I didn't touch the flash capacitors just in case!

Due to the high number of pictures involved I will probably have to do this post in stages - please bear with me

The first stage is removing the eyepiece - first remove the rubber eyecup and then remove the four small screws behind it. I had a small divided tray, and put the parts removed for each stage in a compartment.

I then removed the five small screws arrowed in the next picture - the screw which isn't arrowed can remain in situ.

There were two further screws behind the compact flash cover which also required removing - the compact flash cover will come off as the case is eased open.

Once the screws were out I was able to gently ease the case apart.

Please read on in the next post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
Old 21st March 2013

How I did it post continued:-

I now had to carefully remove the ribbon cable going to the back by gently lifting the black clamp (it pivots upwards from the edge) and gently ease out the ribbon cable

Once the cable was released I could then put the back of the camera to one side. You can now see the main board of the camera and the sensor assembly next to it. I now removed the two pieces of black tape holding the wires and ribbon cable in place

I then removed the ribbon cable and held it back out of the way with some electrical tape, and desoldered the two wires which run across the back of the sensor assembly - they probably could be left in place but there are three small washers under the sensor assebly which set up the focussing, and if you loose those you are in a world of trouble, so anything to make it easier to remove!

Old 21st March 2013

How I did it post continued :-

I then desoldered the ribbon cable earth-strap for the mainboard to sensor assembly cable (this is the one you have to be a bit careful and a bit brave to do as it is easy to melt the cable)

I then carefully held the cable back out of the way with more electrical tape. This then gave me access to remove the three silver screws holding the sensor assembly

and then remove the sensor assembly very carefully, lifting straight up making sure I didn't disturb the three washers underneath.

Old 21st March 2013

How I did it post continued!

With the sensor assembly now removed, I could remove the SSWF filter in front of the sensor array. This is the point at which it becomes very important to keep dust down to a minimum. For the next few stages until the SSWF was refitted I wore vinyl gloves (none powdered) to avoid fingerprints and dust particle from my hands. I was working in our workshops "clean room" (this is a relative term as the rest of our workshop can be quite dusty) which has a filtered air supply again to keep dust dwon to a minimum. The sensor array is supported on it's metal mounting plate to avoid damaging the delicate circuity on the back (the pens were just the right shape and height). The SSWF filter is held on by three screws holding a plate over it and it has an o-ring behind it which in my case was slightly stuck to it (you need to carefully prise it off). The SSWF filter can now be lifted and moved out of the way.

Once the SSWF filter is out of the way you can VERY carefully prise out the metal clip which holds the hot mirror in place. I was unable to remove this without bending it, and decided not to try and refit it due to this and the fact that I am sure olympus have a special tool to fit it.

Once you have removed the clip you can carefully remove the hot mirror and fit your choice of new glass - I went for a piece of Spectosil 2000 fused quartz glass from UQG optics sized 22.5mm by 17.5mm by 3mm, ever so slightly larger than the hot mirror removed so it is firmly held in the rubber surround. It is vital that there is no dust or smears on the glass when it is fitted as you will not be able to remove it once it is screwed back together (First attempt has been a slight fail as there are a few dust spots on the images - I'm hopefully going to strip it and redo it having given the glass another good clean).

Once the new glass is fitted it is very much a case of refitting is the reverse of removal (for all you haynes manual fans out there!) with the only issues being ensuring that all the resoldering is done and the ribbon cables are all fully seated before reclipping the clamps.

If anyone is interested in doing a conversion I can pm them a copy of my invoice for UQG optics so they can order some glass the same, mine was 57 including VAT and postage, the service was really quick and the glass looks very professionally cut (they normally work for industry and universities).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
Falk (27th March 2013)
Old 21st March 2013

I would also like to say that I wouldn't have even attempted this without reading this post first :-

http://digital-photography.pl/olympu...um-conversion/

which gave me not only the inspiration but also a very good idea of what to expect when I did mine.
Old 21st March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
WoW ! Someone else woke early

Not quite - I work nights and managed to get this done in my dinner break!
Old 21st March 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Not quite - I work nights and managed to get this done in my dinner break!
WoW ! I just enjoyed reading and absorbing all this ! Thanks muchly

Now the BIG Q ? Is the E-1 the same inside ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 21st March 2013

Hi ChevvyF1!

I really don't know what an E-1 looks like inside - I did bid on one on ebay which was listed as not working with a view to having a look inside to see if I could fix it however I was beaten buy another member of this forum, Chris Pattison. I have found a couple of things on google about modifying them, however I haven't managed to find any good pictures to see.

Your thoughts about using your portable studio for working on the camera sound good - you've probably got as good a chance as I had of keeping the dust out. I would suggest a small bulb blower as well to blow any dust away - I think my mistake was that when carefully cleaning the inside of the SSWF filter with a cloth I just managed to push the dust to the edges - and then after turning the camera on and off a few times I managed to dislodge the dust so when i turned it portrait all the dust fell onto the glass and has stuck. Hopefully on my dinner break tonight I'll take it apart and try again.

Now for my next project - the infra red flash to go with it so I can take photos in the bat house at chester zoo!
Old 21st March 2013

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

That's really interesting to a pervy geek like me - many thanks Ralph for making the effort to share it with us. It will remain in the far theoretical realms as far as I am concerned though!

Ciao ... John
Old 21st March 2013

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
I really don't know what an E-1 looks like inside
ISTRC reading that the E1 is very easy. There's no on-board flash and plenty of room inside.

Jim
Old 21st March 2013
mike_j

Interesting, very interesting!

I wonder whether a micro four thirds would be easier because the sensor is always exposed and accessible. Now where's my OM-D and the big screwdriver???