Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 10th December 2013

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:2.8

I have one person interested. Leeds and the Chilterns are some way apart but I daresay a meeting would be possible if you are interested. I should point out that mine is cosmetically not as good as Sapper's but excellent optically. Specifically it lacks the drop in filters other than the UV and the case is third party. It has a slight ding on the rim which would prevent fitting a screw in filter. I hasten to add it was like this when I got it, not as a result of my use.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 10th December 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi David,

I have tried to reply to your pm but can't as I don't have sufficient posts! Please email me direct at andymonty at gmail dot com as I am keen to discuss your offer.

Best wishes,

Andy
Old 11th December 2013

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
I have one person interested. Leeds and the Chilterns are some way apart but I daresay a meeting would be possible if you are interested. I should point out that mine is cosmetically not as good as Sapper's but excellent optically. Specifically it lacks the drop in filters other than the UV and the case is third party. It has a slight ding on the rim which would prevent fitting a screw in filter. I hasten to add it was like this when I got it, not as a result of my use.
Does that mean that it does not have a UV filter over he front lens?

Liz
Old 11th December 2013

The hood for this lens is so huge that there's no point in having a UV filter for protection. They cost an arm and a leg too.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 11th December 2013

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

You should fit at least two stacked protective filters to the 300mm. Then if the outer one gets smashed there's still the inner one protecting the front element.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 11th December 2013

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Hi Melaka

I won't be making you an offer for the 300mm.

1 The going rate seems to be £3000. Until recently Simply Electronics were offering the 300mm lens at £1000 less than everyone else. If you dug into the small print that was because they were selling the lens without the filters. Are you willing to offer the lens at £2000?

2 Even if the lens is in excellent condition I can't put a UV filter over it. I have in the past dropped a lens smashing the UV, but the lens itself was undamaged. So I haven't your confidence that in my possession the lens would remain unblemished.

Thank you for your time

Liz
Old 11th December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebea View Post
Hi Melaka

I won't be making you an offer for the 300mm.

1 The going rate seems to be 3000. Until recently Simply Electronics were offering the 300mm lens at 1000 less than everyone else. If you dug into the small print that was because they were selling the lens without the filters. Are you willing to offer the lens at 2000?

2 Even if the lens is in excellent condition I can't put a UV filter over it. I have in the past dropped a lens smashing the UV, but the lens itself was undamaged. So I haven't your confidence that in my possession the lens would remain unblemished.

Thank you for your time

Liz
Thank you. The lens has now been sold to another forum member.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 11th December 2013

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

If you're worried about damaging to front element you'd better wrap the lens in foam rubber as well. A knock on the side can crack a front element. Of course it may be months before you notice the crack if you're a certain photo editor of a UK birding mag.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 12th December 2013

Liked 160 Times in 109 Posts

Lizzie, I can see the advantage of a high quality front filter on a lens, dependant on what you plan on using it for. Yes David probably correct in that a poor filter will have a detrimental effect, but so will repeated coverings in mud at a motorcross event, or dried salt spray etc.
I'd have a look at this thread and also the one linked to from there for further insight.
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=300mm

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!