Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 3rd June 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts
Re: The Big, Bumper Jubilee Thread

I'm glad to see Anne is getting in the mood with appropriate headwear, despite the rain.

Actually, as Pete shows, there is something very English about festivities in the rain.

And Keith, I wouldn't worry about raining on parades - I'm sure it's happening up and down the country at the moment.

We had our local party yesterday and I've got a bit of uploading to do - I may be some time.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 3rd June 2012

Thanked 1,302 Times in 1,017 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Here's my photo.

P6042221-s.jpg
(off the TV)
Well, what else did you expect? I'm in Australia.

(time for bed I think)
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3rd June 2012
Administrator

Ross, I'm glad to see you are following it all on TV - I haven't had time to look at the telly myself!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 3rd June 2012
Administrator

I had a great time at our local Jubilee party in the village yesterday, leaving me with hundreds of pictures to select and edit. So be prepared, I'm going to bore you all and I might need to spread this over several posts!

Although the day started wet it soon dried up, but then rained again mid-morning while I was helping Debbie put her gazebo up (she was face painting). As the weather seemed far from settled I decided to play safe and use the E-3. I knew that I would be wearing it around my neck a lot but at least I would not be walking very far and I had a chair in the gazebo where I could rest when needed.

What I wanted from the day, as well as enjoying the festivities myself, was to capture in camera the spirit and fun of the occasion, plus the character of some of the revellers and a few detail shots. I did some work with the 40-150mm, but mainly used the exremely versatile 14-54mm.

Let's start by setting the scene. The green is located in the centre of the village, next to the church yard. It is not big by any means but it's surprising how much can be squeezed onto it, particularly when we can spill out onto the adjacent road, which was closed for the duration of this event. Here is a view from the church yard overlooking the green.

The general theme was A Day At The Races, as indeed it was Derby Day at Epsom. We were issued with the village's own currency for the day, the Great Easton Groat, which we could use to place bets on the day's races, then follow the action on three televisions in a marquee. People were encouraged to dress as if they were at Epsom, with prizes for the best dressed and the biggest winners on the betting. Here are some of the characters who made an effort.

Others entered into the spirit of the day by dressing in red, white and blue.

And some displayed their patriotism by waving the flag

To be continued............

Last edited by Zuiko; 5th June 2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 3rd June 2012
Administrator

Continued.......

Despite the uncertainty of the weather during the morning, the afternoon turned out fine and dry with quite a lot of sunshine. All around the green bunting glowed in the sunshine and flapped in the breeze.

There was a stall selling patriotic cakes

And a BBQ for those needing something a little more substantial

There was a Strong Man Machine, where you had to hit a pin with a mallet to make the bell at the top ring. One chap made it ring 50 times in a row and only stopped because he was getting bored but many couldn't manage it at all. I spared myself the embarrasment and declined to have a go. There was an option of a lower bell, which was put in place for the children and here is my daughter making an attempt

She also got chatted up by a nice young man about the same age and seemed to be really enjoying herself (she'll kill me if she sees this!)

Eager punters crowded around the TVs for each race

Whilst some preferred to just sit and relax

To be continued.......

Old 3rd June 2012
Administrator

.........Continued

It was very much an event for children as well as adults and activities for the kids included two giant boards for them to paint. One was outlined with drawings of jockeys' shirts and the other with the Royal Jubilee banner; the idea was to colour them using poster paints provided.

And here is the finished banner

Some of the children amused themselves in other ways

And others just hitched a ride

While some had their face painted

(Yes, that's the same young man who chatted up my daughter)

And some showed more hope than expectation of ringing that bell

To be continued......

Old 3rd June 2012
Administrator

Last part, you'll be glad to hear. Well, we do want to make it a bumper thread, don't we?

It wasn't just the children who had their faces painted

And I wasn't the only photographer. The dry, sunny weather coaxed out this cautious Canon and Mr Nikon is in the background on the left. It's nice that the conditions allowed the top three brands to be represented, rather than just my E-3 if it had rained.

As the evening wore on we had a live band instead of the racing

With dancing and singing rather than betting and cheering

Well, that's mine. Now I look forward to seeing some of yours!

Thanks for looking.

Old 3rd June 2012

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts

Thanks for sharing a good, interesting set of posts, John!

My daughter is now as tall as me and I daren't say things like that - can I have first dibs on your PEN when yours has finished with you?
Old 3rd June 2012

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Some interesting pics already, all very nice

Lesley has been busy making a Jubilee hat for Nana Mary

She will be sporting it tomorrow at her lunch club

Greg
Old 4th June 2012

Thanked 1,302 Times in 1,017 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Some lovely shots of the events & John, you made it for me with the guy on the fiddle. I really must get back to fiddling (local bush band & Sydney Scottish Fiddlers), but I've allowed myself to be distracted by playing with cameras & spending (so much) time on this forum.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 4th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dorn View Post
Thanks for sharing a good, interesting set of posts, John!

My daughter is now as tall as me and I daren't say things like that - can I have first dibs on your PEN when yours has finished with you?
Thanks Colin. I can still get away with these things (just!) as I'm still bigger than Freya, but for her size she packs a powerful (and painful) punch!

Old 4th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post
Some interesting pics already, all very nice

Lesley has been busy making a Jubilee hat for Nana Mary

She will be sporting it tomorrow at her lunch club

Greg
Wow! That's by far the best Jubilee hat I've seen. Nana Mary is sure to be the star at her lunch club wearing that!

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
gregles (4th June 2012)
Old 4th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Some lovely shots of the events & John, you made it for me with the guy on the fiddle. I really must get back to fiddling (local bush band & Sydney Scottish Fiddlers), but I've allowed myself to be distracted by playing with cameras & spending (so much) time on this forum.

That's the trouble with having so many hobbies, they end up competing against each other for time. Maybe take your camera along next time you play with the band and get some of the members to pose for portraits in between sets, or sit out the odd number so you can get some action shots. That way you can enjoy both interests at the same time.

Old 4th June 2012

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Well, here we go. From the South Bank of the Thames as Her Majesty was being transferred on the Britannia Barge to her main vessel.

Taken with a Fourthirds combination demonstrating the flexibility of our systems: Panasonic G3, Panasonic 4/3 to m4/3 adaptor, Olympus EC-14 teleconverter, Sigma 135-400mm f4-f5.6 at 400mm @ f8, 1/1000th (I think), ISO 800, MF, wall to rest upon.

I was struggling a bit with the 1120mm focal length, I feel. Oh well, it was a great day out.

Nick
Old 4th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_E View Post
Well, here we go. From the South Bank of the Thames as Her Majesty was being transferred on the Britannia Barge to her main vessel.

Taken with a Fourthirds combination demonstrating the flexibility of our systems: Panasonic G3, Panasonic 4/3 to m4/3 adaptor, Olympus EC-14 teleconverter, Sigma 135-400mm f4-f5.6 at 400mm @ f8, 1/1000th (I think), ISO 800, MF, wall to rest upon.

I was struggling a bit with the 1120mm focal length, I feel. Oh well, it was a great day out.

Nick
I'm sure that combo was a bit of a handful, I know I wouldn't be able to manage it! It's great to have a picture of Her Majesty during the Jubilee celebrations in this thread. Was anyone else in London for this event?