Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20th November 2011
pandora's Avatar
pandora pandora is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 16,180
Thanks: 863
Thanked 1,504 Times in 1,455 Posts
Likes: 1,933
Liked 4,170 Times in 1,891 Posts
Chiltern Downunder

Guys, please accept my apology for this drastically reduced post.
I have a terminal issue with Photobucket my hosting site, who I am seeking to replace asap.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers, Mark Greenhill
__________________
www.markgreenhill.com.au

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20th November 2011
David Morison's Avatar
David Morison David Morison is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fulbeck, Lincolnshire
Posts: 3,507
Thanks: 71
Thanked 588 Times in 472 Posts
Likes: 48
Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: Chiltern Downunder

Lovely shots. Pleased to the that every town shot includes something to do with beer or barby or else it wouldn't be Oz! Bit worried about the final shot or does it naturally follow on from the beer etc? As for the graves being haphazard and cattle wandering all over the place well that is definitely Oz. Love the textures of the Gum Tree bark.

David
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20th November 2011
Chevvyf1's Avatar
Chevvyf1 Chevvyf1 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Devon, UK
Posts: 12,269
Thanks: 1,744
Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Likes: 1,169
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Chiltern Downunder

Hi Mark, 'tis unday afternoon, the sky is blue, rare for UK now and there is the sun about (shame so little warmth in it ) and having just washed the car I sit to see "Whats New" ! with a brew of Tea ...

It is a joy to behold. Fab shots of a town, so pleasant to see shops of just a single storey and the "community" BBQ.

I love the Red Gums but must ask, what do you do with these trees? is the gum caught for a purpose is the wood used in furniture or ships ?

The flowers are nice, especially the red petals with the light falling through.
and then, The End ! En Fin !

Very similar to Virginia City - I visited back in 198 ??? when working USA but the end came at "Boot Hill" and it had a fence around to keep the wolves out
__________________
.
.
[I].
.
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...


http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20th November 2011
Jim Ford Jim Ford is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 8,122
Thanks: 437
Thanked 576 Times in 501 Posts
Likes: 2,548
Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts
Re: Chiltern Downunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
[CENTER]Chiltern is a tiny town in Northeastern Victoria where time stands still.
I am posting these archival shots in reply to Huw's "Unseasonal weather for November" walk at Chiltern UK.
There is no town called 'Chiltern' in the U.K..

The Chilterns are a line of low hills, arcing from the West, round to the North of London. The hills are comprised of chalk. The area is quite rural with some pretty villages. There are also some significant historic places (but I can't think of any Australian connections!).

Here's a map of the region:

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/...oomabs&isGeo=y

The Chilterns are the broad green diagonal band from the top right down to the bottom left.

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20th November 2011
Greytop's Avatar
Greytop Greytop is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Berkshire, UK.
Posts: 6,555
Thanks: 1,131
Thanked 608 Times in 556 Posts
Likes: 1,607
Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts
Re: Chiltern Downunder

A fine set Mark, Chiltern Oz is quite different from the UK 'Chilterns' as you would expect but none the less interesting for it.
Superb colours and detail, I especially like 2 and 7.
__________________
Regards Huw


Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20th November 2011
wanderer's Avatar
wanderer wanderer is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Penicuik
Posts: 1,240
Thanks: 94
Thanked 115 Times in 100 Posts
Likes: 15
Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts
Re: Chiltern Downunder

Very nice set. Like the flowers
Weather similar to here today although we have it a bit hazy and about 15degrees.
We get the wattle, or a form of it, but not until May at the earliest. Our gums are looking good with new leaves too.
I'm not sure in the first picture of 'Icy Cold Beer' at the Telegraph Hotel. Sounds revolting. But the hot dogs look good.
And the last one is surely the 'Dead Centre' of town.
__________________
Duncan

Lots of toys.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21st November 2011
pandora's Avatar
pandora pandora is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 16,180
Thanks: 863
Thanked 1,504 Times in 1,455 Posts
Likes: 1,933
Liked 4,170 Times in 1,891 Posts
Re: Chiltern Downunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Lovely shots. Pleased to the that every town shot includes something to do with beer or barby or else it wouldn't be Oz! Bit worried about the final shot or does it naturally follow on from the beer etc? As for the graves being haphazard and cattle wandering all over the place well that is definitely Oz. Love the textures of the Gum Tree bark.
David
Thanks David, as a young Fourth Form student my English English teacher, Mr Williams (a veritable Mr Chips! ) at some point during the period would trot out his favourite mantra, "Yes boys, that's the trouble with the Australian attitude - it's always a case of, 'She'll be right mate' ... blah, blah!' " - I must admit that we are in someways a lackadaisical lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Hi Mark, 'tis unday afternoon, the sky is blue, rare for UK now and there is the sun about (shame so little warmth in it ) and having just washed the car I sit to see "Whats New" ! with a brew of Tea ...
It is a joy to behold. Fab shots of a town, so pleasant to see shops of just a single storey and the "community" BBQ.
I love the Red Gums but must ask, what do you do with these trees? is the gum caught for a purpose is the wood used in furniture or ships ?
The flowers are nice, especially the red petals with the light falling through.
and then, The End ! En Fin ! Very similar to Virginia City - I visited back in 198 ??? when working USA but the end came at "Boot Hill" and it had a fence around to keep the wolves out
Well said, chevvy - after relocating 18 months ago the region is still new to me, the high blue sky above broad flat plains and mirage like mountains through summer haze is so different to my native State, Tasmania.

The river red gums were once used for building paddle steamers, warves and any structure for which a solid rot proof timber was required. But eucalypts now are largely harvested for wood chips, shipped to China or Japan, sold back to us as various forms of particle boards!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
There is no town called 'Chiltern' in the U.K..
The Chilterns are a line of low hills, arcing from the West, round to the North of London. The hills are comprised of chalk. The area is quite rural with some pretty villages. There are also some significant historic places (but I can't think of any Australian connections!). Here's a map of the region:
http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/...oomabs&isGeo=y The Chilterns are the broad green diagonal band from the top right down to the bottom left. Jim
Thanks for the map link Jim, for which now I am the wiser. Although one of my brothers once lived by the Thames at Reading, I never heard him mention the Chilterns, but then I never heard much from him at all!

Surprising that the hills are made of chalk, just like the Cliffs of Dover. I saw a doco recently about how the chalk extends at depth beneath the English Channel, which made the construction of a tunnel linking England to the Continent feasible.

And I thought chalk was only good for writing mathematical formulae on a blackboard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
A fine set Mark, Chiltern Oz is quite different from the UK 'Chilterns' as you would expect but none the less interesting for it.
Superb colours and detail, I especially like 2 and 7.
Thank you, Huw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Very nice set. Like the flowers
Weather similar to here today although we have it a bit hazy and about 15degrees.
We get the wattle, or a form of it, but not until May at the earliest. Our gums are looking good with new leaves too.
I'm not sure in the first picture of 'Icy Cold Beer' at the Telegraph Hotel. Sounds revolting. But the hot dogs look good.
And the last one is surely the 'Dead Centre' of town.
You'd be quite amazed at how quickly in 40'C heat in Oz, you English adapt to ice cold beer - much quicker I'd say than us Aussies do to warm or mulled English ale, even during a West End winter!
__________________
www.markgreenhill.com.au

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downside Up Downunder pandora Foto Fair 4 20th August 2011 11:28 AM
g'day from Downunder pandora Introduce yourself 14 6th January 2011 09:12 AM
Classic Cars Downunder pandora Foto Fair 9 3rd January 2011 09:00 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:23 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger