Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 7th September 2010
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
E3 Screen has came apart

Hi all,

I've jut had infamous screen coming apart problem. I'm not too bothered as the camera is just over a year old.

I've got a good shoot I need the camera for on the 19th Sept and I'm guessing it will take Olympus a couple of weeks to sort the camera so I'm gonna send it back on Monday 20th.

Oly just want the camera itself, nothing else so I'm wondering if anyone else has had to send back a camera how have you packaged it up? Silly question I know but normally I would send it back in its orginial box.

Will they service the camera as well and double check all is working within factory specs?

Cheers
Garrie
Old 7th September 2010

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts
Re: E3 Screen has came apart

When I had moisture in the LCD screen I went through the store where i bought it - I let them sort it out.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 7th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The LCD does seem to be a weakness in a camera that is otherwise so tank like. Mine is nearly 3 years old now, but I had a mystery cracked screen after a year which Oly replaced under warranty and the camera is currently away at Luton Camera Repair having another LCD fitted as it simply stopped displaying.

Anyway, when I sent it back to Oly, I think I sent it back in its own box, but I can't remember for sure and I have no idea if they did a general service.

They did provide good comms with regular repair status updates via email. It took about 3 weeks from sending it away to getting it back.
Old 1st October 2010

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

My screen has now come apart!

The camera is well out of warranty. What's the situation with Olympus repairing it? It's a known weakness on the E3 - do they repair it for free?

Jim
Old 1st October 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Jim,

My E3 fell apart and is currently at Luton Camera Repairs who quoted an initial 40 labour, 10 parts, 8 postage. They are here:

http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/

I haven't received the camera back yet so I can't comment on the quality. They say they use genuine parts, though. I also understand that the screen design has been improved so it is less likely to happen again.

Nick
Old 1st October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's worth emailing Olympus support about it, but I guess it will cost you the time it takes them to reply with the likelihood being they won't repair it for free.

I've been happy with Luton Cameras in the times I've dealt with them. They take a little time and I had to call them a couple of times, they didn't proactively update me, but they have repaired my E-3 twice, once for dust in the viewfinder/prism and also for the LCD and I was happy.
Old 1st October 2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you purchased your camera in europe from an Olympus supplier then you should have a two year warranty. Otherwise its a one year one.

I suggest calling Olympus UK on Monday and explaiing the situation with the E3 screen. They will be able to let you know if it will cost. Mention that you have reports of other users with the same problem. They may do it for free....or maybe not.
Old 10th October 2010

Thanked 1,115 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,450 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelavis View Post
I've been happy with Luton Cameras in the times I've dealt with them. They take a little time and I had to call them a couple of times, they didn't proactively update me, but they have repaired my E-3 twice, once for dust in the viewfinder/prism and also for the LCD and I was happy.
I have this problem ATM and am curious as to cost? Would you be willing to post details or send via a PM?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 10th October 2010

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I have this problem ATM and am curious as to cost? Would you be willing to post details or send via a PM?
I've got a screen back on order from Luton Cameras (they're out of stock at the moment). When I get one, I'll post how I changed it (or broke the camera!). A new back costs 6.

Jim
Old 10th October 2010

Hi Jim, to clarify, my problem appears to be dust / debris in the viewfinder / prism area. See this post here

Old 10th October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I had a go at it myself when I saw a single black spec in the view finder. If I could turn the clock back, I'd have left well alone.

After removing and cleaning the screen and the bottom of the prism it was still there so I had a go with an air puffer. At that point things went down hill because I took the screen off again and not only managed to scratch the screen this time, another go with the puffer saw a little more debris in the viewfinder, more goes made it worse still.

I went to Luton Cameras, who replaced the scratched screen but also did their best to remove the debris by taking the top off the camera to get at more of the prism itself. There is still some debris in the viewfinder, but I hardly notice it any more. They advised me that to completely remove the debris would mean a new prism which, with labour, would cost 300-400. The work that Luton Camera Repairs did cost about 100 as I remember.
Old 10th October 2010

Thanx for the reply Michael. Two words spring to mind... OUCH! and OUCH! It may be a PITA but it looks as if I'll have to bear it. Having floaters in both eyes doesn't help. Such is life.