Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 14th July 2010
Kiwi Paul

What's a frustrating thing that's happened to you

One thing for me was when I ordered the 35-100 lens online, it was to be delivered the next day although no specific time, I even had the day off (not because of the lens) so was all excited and kept waiting for the doorbell to ring, but typical it got late in the day and I was going out so had to shower and shave etc, wouldn't you know it soon as I was larvered up and halfway through shaving "ring ring", yep the doorbell. I went to the door, still half covered in shaving foam and it was the courier "wooo hooo", I quickly finished shaving and had about half an hour before I had to leave, opened the box pulled out the lens "wooo hooo" what a beauty. I stuck it on the camera and.......... couldn't see a thing, I looked at the lens and it was dripping with condensation, it was the middle of winter and it had been in the back of the unheated courier van all day and soon as it hit the warm indoors - condensation. I put on the heater to warm it up and dry it off but by the time I had to leave it was still not ready, I had to wait until the next day ( because I was out all night) before I could use it.
I'm sure the couriers know how much you want something and the more you want it the later they deliver it!!

Paul
Old 14th July 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,569 Times in 901 Posts
Re: What's a frustrating thing that's happened to you

I bought a new 14-35, hired a studio, booked a model, went to the studio at 9:00 to set up for a 10:00 start...

Waited for over an hour - No Show

Didn't take a tripod so couldn't even do self portraits

I firmly believe in the "New Toy" conspiracy theory...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 14th July 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Didn't take a tripod so couldn't even do self portraits

So it could have been much worse then

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 15th July 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
it was the middle of winter and it had been in the back of the unheated courier van all day
Paul
I have a theory they have freezer compartments in those vans. And another thing: We get deliveries every day from U*S and F*DEX and D*L. Quite often when the rear van door is opened several large boxes fall out on the concrete.

Anyway: Frustrating stuff? Anything to do with Windows and migrating up from your old computer to a new one. Surely this is a common task... It turns out to be fraught with problems related to hardware and Microsoft licensing rules. Grrr.

Frustrating photo events? Anything involving right time, right place, wrong lens

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 15th July 2010

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Many, many moons ago, a friend who had a hairdressing salon needed some display photos to put up showing different hair styles. Her employees were each made up with a different style and I set up my tripod, floods etc., and Contax 11A and started shooting. It didn't take long to run through the 36 shots and her staff left for home. I started to take the film out for processing and.....................THERE WAS NO FILM IN THE CAMERA!

Frustrating, embarrassing and ....................! But it taught me a big lesson.

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL
Old 15th July 2010

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Many, many moons ago, a friend who had a hairdressing salon needed some display photos to put up showing different hair styles. Her employees were each made up with a different style and I set up my tripod, floods etc., and Contax 11A and started shooting. It didn't take long to run through the 36 shots and her staff left for home. I started to take the film out for processing and.....................THERE WAS NO FILM IN THE CAMERA!

Frustrating, embarrassing and ....................! But it taught me a big lesson.
I went out this week to Two Tree Island to photograph Avocets with my mate who knows about these things.
After a 20 min walk to the hide realised I had no memory card in camera, or on person. Hide empty when we got there, 30 min later, (I ran some of the way) got back and hide very full.
At least I got some good shots, to be posted later.
Old 15th July 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,235 Posts
Liked 1,654 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
So it could have been much worse then

Nick
Oooh Nick, you have shown your cruel (but hilarious! ) edge...

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 15th July 2010
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
One thing for me was when I ordered the 35-100 lens online, it was to be delivered the next day although no specific time, I even had the day off (not because of the lens) so was all excited and kept waiting for the doorbell to ring, but typical it got late in the day and I was going out so had to shower and shave etc, wouldn't you know it soon as I was larvered up and halfway through shaving "ring ring", yep the doorbell. I went to the door, still half covered in shaving foam and it was the courier "wooo hooo", I quickly finished shaving and had about half an hour before I had to leave, opened the box pulled out the lens "wooo hooo" what a beauty. I stuck it on the camera and.......... couldn't see a thing, I looked at the lens and it was dripping with condensation, it was the middle of winter and it had been in the back of the unheated courier van all day and soon as it hit the warm indoors - condensation. I put on the heater to warm it up and dry it off but by the time I had to leave it was still not ready, I had to wait until the next day ( because I was out all night) before I could use it.
I'm sure the couriers know how much you want something and the more you want it the later they deliver it!!

Paul
We get computers delivered all the time to work (as i'm a computer technician). You are meant to leave all electrical equipment unboxed in a normal temp room for about 6-8 hours to allow the item to climatise itself before you can use it. I killed a macbook by not doing this once

So even though your really excited about it, it's best not to open it straight away, especially in winter.
Old 15th July 2010

Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

Years ago I was out wandering on the Western Cairngorms wth some friends.
I got near the end of a film and found no spare in my rucksack. No-one else had any either. I rationed my photos, finished the film, the light went flat and I thought I was OK. Just before we started down off the high ground we came across a Dotterel sitting on its nest. Aaargh! They're rare, sit tight and are easy to photograph. I've never found a nest since.
Moral; Always always always make sure you have spare recording capacity.

Duncan
Old 15th July 2010
mike_j

Going on holiday with Olympus camera and Nikon battery charger
Old 15th July 2010

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Wasting time waiting to buy an E5, only to hear unsubstantiated rumours that the E6 was going to be so much better, but still not quite as good as the E7, or the E8 with its legendary ability to travel through time, space and contra flows

Message sent using my Olympus E8 camera
Olympus E8 winner of the 2023 camera of the year award
Old 15th July 2010
Nick

Apparently the E5 is going to be the last fourthirds camera they are making
Old 15th July 2010

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Quoting from elsewhere in this forum "I predict that there will be further predictions, some of which may well originate from sources which may have predicted previous predictions.

The fact that their previous predictions proved to be only predictions based on other rumours from alternative sources of previously partially substantiated predictions means that there will be a dearth of postings on DPReview.com debating the merits of rumoured predicted features and demands from someone from Olympus to immediately confirm the predicted rumours, otherwise the posters will sell all their gear and switch to another system.

Never mind the E5, I have heard predictors unsubstantiated predictions that its successor may well have features previously never seen before on a DSLR . and they (FT1 to FT2) predict it may either be the tool from the Swiss Army knives to pick Boy Scouts out of horses hooves, or it could be the predicted emergence of the rumoured six mirror reflex non-live live non-mirror reflective live view system technology . all based in a camera body of made from aircraft grade Unobtantium
"

Quoting from http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...5795677&page=3 - "We all got wrong information about Four Thirds' future. It was a bad translation from spanish language."

The interesting fact about the future of fourthirds is that very few people know what the true facts are. As Jack Nicholson said - "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

Message sent using my Olympus E8 camera
Olympus E8 winner of the 2023 camera of the year award
Old 15th July 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Where on earth have you got this bit of info from? If it is true, I am jumping ship now!